Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GP practice using phone calls with no specific time given  (Read 3708 times)

Katejo

GP practice using phone calls with no specific time given
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »

After a recent urine test I still haven't got the result because the practice phone call system is so inflexible. I have missed 3 calls already in the past few days because they don't give a time period in which to expect the call. It can be any time between 8am and about 6.30pm!   Yesterday I kept the mobile on my desk all day until 5.30pm and then gave up. The GP rang while I was on the tube so I missed it again. I wish they would leave a voicemail. No one else uses my phone so why not? I now have to wait until Friday for another call which I will probably miss.
I don't think I have got a problem because the Vagifem seems to be working at the moment but the receptionist isn't allowed to tell me anything.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: GP practice using phone calls with no specific time given
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »

Anything to avoid speaking to a patient?

I don't have anything sent via mobile other than alerts to my dental appts..  If they can't get me on my land-line they don't speak to me.

Your Surgery needs to be made aware that the system ain't working!  ::)

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »

Anything to avoid speaking to a patient?

I don't have anything sent via mobile other than alerts to my dental appts..  If they can't get me on my land-line they don't speak to me.

Your Surgery needs to be made aware that the system ain't working!  ::)
I have already told the receptionist this. I also made the same point to a GP when at a patient support committee meeting. Ringing me on my mobile is fine. I don't want them to ring my landline. I am rarely there during working hours and don't answer when I am because they are almost always unwanted calls. I do a 1471 and ring back if needed.  I picked up a new prescription of Vagifem today. The pharmacist at Boots agreed with me re. phone calls but I won't get another prescription after this one without speaking to the GP!

Blot

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 05:31:03 PM »

Can you not ring and speak to the gp or even the secretary if it's just to find out results. Our gps never ring. It's always the secretaries or receptionists who ring or you can just ring up at a certain time of day for results. Our docs are usually too busy to speak to patients on the phone.

Seems a bit crazy to me.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »

I've been at 2 surgeries now where the gp calls you, they have a specified gp who does the phoning to patients

If I need an appt I tell the receptionist the problem, I go on a list then the gp calls me to assess meds or whether I need to be seen

I had a kidney infection in August and needed 2 courses of antiobiotics and didn't see a gp once with it ! X

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »

Ours have had this system for ages. It's embarrassing to have to take a call about what may be a sensitive condition while at work. Current appointment waiting time with any doctor, not your actual registered one, is 7 weeks!!

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »

Can you not ring and speak to the gp or even the secretary if it's just to find out results. Our gps never ring. It's always the secretaries or receptionists who ring or you can just ring up at a certain time of day for results. Our docs are usually too busy to speak to patients on the phone.

Seems a bit crazy to me.
No because the receptionist isn't allowed to give test results unless they have permission from the GP. Yes they have a set time of day for results but the doctor wants to speak to me. My practice is trying out phone consultations at the moment. I can't just ring and speak to the GP. I have to request a call back from them. Do you have a number to ring the GP directly? I have never come across any surgery which offers this. My practice has just started a GP email service but it is so new that I haven't had a chance to try it.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »

Our Surgery has a call-back system.  Maybe arrange for a specific receptionist to check your results and can then let you know.  You shouldn't need to see a GP each time to get treatment for VA.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »

Our Surgery has a call-back system.  Maybe arrange for a specific receptionist to check your results and can then let you know.  You shouldn't need to see a GP each time to get treatment for VA.
No because the receptionists have said that they are not allowed to. I have to speak to the GP. According  to the receptionist, it is to do with the urine test but they may have got it wrong. If the test had  showed infection, I would have needed an AB before now and the GP could just have done a prescription without seeing me again. I don't think I have.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 07:51:09 PM »

I've been at 2 surgeries now where the gp calls you, they have a specified gp who does the phoning to patients

If I need an appt I tell the receptionist the problem, I go on a list then the gp calls me to assess meds or whether I need to be seen

I had a kidney infection in August and needed 2 courses of antiobiotics and didn't see a gp once with it ! X
Yes the GP whom i saw is doing this job at the moment. 

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 07:53:09 PM »

Ours have had this system for ages. It's embarrassing to have to take a call about what may be a sensitive condition while at work. Current appointment waiting time with any doctor, not your actual registered one, is 7 weeks!!

Taz x
taking the call at work isn't a problem re. privacy . If I manage to answer it, I can just go to a different room. I actually almost have my own office at the moment.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »

Any connection yet?

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 04:49:48 PM »

Any connection yet?
I won't get another call until Friday. Today was no good because I can't take any calls when on duty in the library so couldn't be available all day.
After writing this i logged onto the appointment booking system and was really surprised to see that the GP phone call had been booked for between 2pm and 2.15pm on Friday. The receptionist didn't make any mention of a specific time slot. I had only logged on to see if I could book a routine appointment (to escape the need for a phone call).
Now need to wait and see if I get the call or  not. It is a male doctor and I have never seen him before so I have no idea what to expect.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:02:37 PM by Katejo »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 10:27:48 PM »

Let us know.  Could he send you an e-mail to your home addy?  Mine will do.

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 02:30:54 PM »

Let us know.  Could he send you an e-mail to your home addy?  Mine will do.
Update. I have just had the call from the new male GP. Compared to comments read from other MM users and on the VA FB page he wasn't too bad but still insists that it isn't safe to use Vagifem more than twice a week after the first 2 weeks. I commented on the reduction in strength to 10 (mg or mcg?) and on the NICE recommendations but he still wants to review use after the first 3 months and says that it should not be used for more than a year in total. I pointed out that I would rather use Vagifem (if it continues to work) than take frequent AB's and that it is a continuous process but I didn't  persuade him. He only acknowledged that I had looked into it.
My urine test was inconclusive so I have to do another one on Monday. I don't think I have an infection. The test was done just after I had finished the initial 2 weeks of Vagifem and had reduced it to twice a week so the symptoms were returning .  I have slight symptoms now but that is probably because I haven't used the Vagifem for a couple of days. I forgot to do it this morning.
My copy of the book by Jane Ellis has arrived here today so I will have a look at it over the weekend.
Pages: [1] 2