Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Depression and on 3rd antidepressant Sertraline  (Read 3187 times)

Sickntired

Depression and on 3rd antidepressant Sertraline
« on: December 01, 2019, 10:30:14 AM »

I have a history of depression of sorts most of my life and have spent about 30 years on antidepressants until i found information in the press about problems caused by the pills i was taking at the time.  Several articles and papers corroborated this so i got to thinking why have i been on pills for 30 years🤔🤔 do i actually need them? So i stopped and felt fine for a while then i became premenopausal as a trade off.  Thought you knew depression before?  This was and is a whole different ball game!  Ocd i could rationalise became overwhelmimg constant obsessive soundtrack-  death, cancer,  brain tumour,  my favourite being bowel cancer  , not helped by developing the IBS id never had in my life till now .  As others have said 1001 symptoms that never get mentioned, discussed, usually dismissed and passed over for the hot flushes and stop-the-world vaginal dryness (yes , thats at the top of this list of quality of life when you struggle at work with fatigue, no muscle strength , mood swings,  bloated stomach !)   Anyway i digress to a potential rant about the stupid way Meno is approached.  My point here is i had asked doc about retrying antidepressants as i was very conscious  my mood swings were making my extreme personality faults worse , grumpy, irritable, ranty and couldnt control it.  Not good working with just 2 other folk - both your bosses (male) .  Prozac had a side effect , think it was tiredness,  the other was Citalopram (i think) , tiredness again- legit reasons but cant quite remember.   Anyway now its Sertraline.  I tried the prescribed dose....after the required pick up time i just felt "weird " in no way like me, as if on 5 cans Red Bull at a time but on LSD also .... plus not decent sleep, waking every half hour wide awake.   So i cut it down and took the pills in the daytime which for the most part has been passable.  My mood swings are less.  I am still me but 30% quieter , i think.  I wanted to be amenable and chilled at work , not pissed off, grumpy , moany and continually bored.  It worked. 
The problem is , in some way or another ive had a bit of emotional detachment from one degree or another mkst of my life. Im used to its shades and generally cover it up.  Meno brought a new level.  Apathy and flatness.  Thankfully a discussion with a running mate yielded she felt periods of being pretty unenthusiastic about her grandson (practised at not showing it) and since discovered in the small print in places,  flatness is a symptom.   This past fortnight its a whole new level.  Another woman on here referred to feeling like a robot.  Good description.  I feel like im unsure if im dreaming or not,  unreal,  scared by this overwhelming unlikeness.  Empty. Unfazed to the point of detachment.  Like a mask of myself.  A robot.  In addition i had Testosterone and was just starting to get my level of energy back when the dr informs me the blood level is too high , cut it back. I now feel lack of motivation again ,  switched off to my husband ( a facade becuse i feel sorry for him getting no response) and my brain the past 2 weeks has gone back to forgetting lots - burnt spaghetti,  misunderstood sentances, trying to put a 2nd watch on(!) Etc and fog ....
This isnt asking for help ...  i have 2 take half dose testosterone so hopefully itl come back up a level but wondering if others experienced this weirdness with Sertraline on whatever dose.....     

Cadgwith Girl

Re: Depression and on 3rd antidepressant Sertraline
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »

My heart goes out to you, Sickntired!

I tried Sertraline but it made me wired! I didn't sleep for three days and it gave me huge haemorrhoids! Prozac did a similar thing years ago; I literally did not sleep for three days and it gave me PTSD! I was the reverse of you on Citalopram as well; again, if it take it in the morning it makes me wired and very agitated.  I've taken to taking Citalopram at night before bedtime along with Mirtazapine. I think the Mirtazapine is strong enough to counteract the effects of the Citalopram.
Ideally, I would like to only be on one antidepressant; my preferred choice is Mirtazapine because I seem to tolerate it better than any other I've tried.  I'm waiting it out to see how well both work; I'm into my fifth week now. I'm hoping the Citalopram is going to work for my social anxiety and constant overthinking every social and work-related situation.
Until I joined MM and watched Eileen Durward's video blogs on YouTube, I had no idea how bad perimenopause was or could be for some women, especially women like me who have had no children and have a history of depression (reactive depression in my case).
It's really tough but I am now taking some comfort from reading other women's stories and chatting to them here online. It's one of the few things that has starte to help me feel a bit more positive and feel that there are people out there I can turn to and relate to
Sending hugs xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 04:14:10 PM »

It can take a while B4 the brain absorbs the medication and begins to feel better.

Ativan wired my Dad, he would walk for hours, I would go with him for company.  I don't remember talking but simply making sure that he didn't get lost.

Prozac made me  :cuss: and another AD made me feel as though I was walking on 7" tall shoes ........ after 3 days I stopped that!

Escitalopram has worked for me as did Effexor.  Fortunately my GP has been by my side all the way [since 1988] along with a devoted husband. 

We choose not to have children as depression runs in my family as does addictive personality. 

Sickntired

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »

Thank you both and hugs to both as we are all part of a club we don't want to be in.  Interesting how antidepressants affect others.  Have decided to up the running , try some form of mindfulness (like that will work in my obsessive, control freak brain ) i do want to be calmer but i dont think ADs are it.  Im going to cut them out and hope i can deal with the anxiety.  I want to feel human again. I hooe xmas is a cakewalk for us all xxx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »

I hope that C.mas is soon over  >:(

Some find exercise helps, Byrony of the Daily Telegraph started a running group on the off-chance that others suffering depression would join in.  It's country-wide now apparently.

Sickntired

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 05:45:59 PM »

Running is my saviour i have to say. (Im no Usain Bolt)  i still try to keep up my sort of training regime in winter to not lose condition as i find it harder than mates to recover fitness.  It helps beat the "cant be arsed feeling" but the penalty is later in the day at the moment il be so tired my eyes hurt.  I refuse to stop the one thing thats my space, saviour and enjoyment.  Probably kill myself in the process with overdoing it tho.

Cadgwith Girl

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »

Hi Sickntired,
I would love to take up jogging again but I haven't found enough energy to do so yet. My sister does running and she hopes to get through perimenopause/menopause with that and healthy eating. She has been running for a lot longer than I have.
I was doing the C25K back in the spring and really enjoying it; I got to week 5 but then I crashed big time with perimenopausal depression!
I'm hoping that one day soon I'll just feel like getting my trainers on again and just getting out there because I'm sure it will help my mood improve further.
In the meantime, an update on my ADs. I have swapped the Citalopram back to mornings as I think it had started to interfere with the Mirtazapine. I haven't had a really good night's sleep for a few days now which is so frustrating! I've also upped the Citalopram to 20mg now; I didn't have such a bad reaction to it yesterday. In fact, I think I needed it because I was feeling extremely low and very tearful again. Waiting to see how it goes.
Cadwith Girl xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »

How R U today?