Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hormone tests?  (Read 744 times)

sweaty betty

• First Flush
Hormone tests?
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:18:25 AM »

Hello
I am practically new to posting here (only one post in the past) and have found these boards to be of great help and support just reading them.  I wondered if anyone could give me the ‘heads up' on hormone tests.  I have been taking elleste duet 1mg for the last 17 months and initially I felt better and my hot flushes have completely gone and never returned (at present!).  The problem I have had in about the last ten months is my anxiety levels have gradually increased and to be honest I now feel desperate.  I did go to my GP about 6 months ago and saw a locum doctor to ask if I could have my hormones tested but he said that you cannot test for hormones as they fluctuate all day.  So I am at a loss really.  I am not one for visiting doctors and have only been to the surgery twice this year.  I am not very assertive but if I knew a test existed I could insist on it – I feel really desperate at the moment – any advice would be really appreciated.  Many thanks, Mags

Charlie62

Re: Hormone tests?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »

Hi sweaty betty
I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety levels. I'm new here too so won't be able to answer your question but I'm sure the ladies on here will be able to.
My situation is very similar to yours. Have felt fine for the year i have been on femoston conti but now my anxiety/depression is becoming unmanageable. My dr prescribed AD but I don't want to take them so am trying to work out if another type of hrt will be better for me. I was told blood tests won't help & it's a case of trial & error. Not very helpful when its all so confusing.
Good luck & I hope you get the answers you need

sweaty betty

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »

Charlie62 – thanks so much for answering.  Yes the phrase ‘trial and error' is what was said to me!  It is just helpful to know that other women feel the same because I always seem to feel that I should be coping better and all the menopausal women I know don't seem to want to talk about it.  Feel such a wreck most of the time lately. :(  I don't fancy the AD route due to a past negative experience with taking  them although I know they are helpful to a lot of people.  I may be booking another visit to the docs but don't hold out much hope  :-\ Thanks again for your message.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »

Sorry I don't know much either but I just had blood taken for hormone tests so I know they exist. I'm having estrogen, progesterone, testosterone LH, FSH etc done. My doctor ordered them. I am in the states, by the way. But I know I've read others getting them done as well. I think sometimes it depends on the doctor that you see as well. The last one I was seeing ordered 'hormone' tests but really is was just the FSH, not a whole panel. This current doctor is more experienced in dealing with female hormonal issues and such so he is more thorough. You could push it more but the GP might not be very familiar with what to do with the results??

sweaty betty

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 06:32:37 PM »

Many thanks for all your helpful replies and maybe it is possible to get them tested although I don't know if the UK would be different to U.S - thanks BlueButterfly - it's helpful to know that it is at least possible. I know what you mean about depending on the doctor you see - they all seem to say different!

Stellajane - thank you for the pattern thing - that is really something for me to watch out for - I did originally think it was the first half of each month but not so sure now.  Maybe the best thing would be for me to write down each day how I feel and see if there's a pattern and then go back to the doc's.  Re the HRT break - I had a break after Prempak C (which also caused anxiety) and the anxiety was definitely much better off all the HRT but alas the flushes were one every 30 mins again!  Also, I am due to start a new job in three week's time (just to add more anxiety to the mix! :-\) so it's not an ideal time to be coming off them.

Thanks for all the helpful input - helps to know I'm not alone or going bats! ;)