Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Vagifem side effects/bad reaction after 1st one?  (Read 14670 times)

Katejo

Re: Vagifem side effects/bad reaction after 1st one?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »

I was lucky and didn't get any stinging etc..  I take 1 Nurofen capsule to ease any symptoms of urgency and it doesn't last. 

Glad you had sleep last night !  I did.  But oh the dreams  >:(  :-X
When you say it doesn't last, do you just mean that the Nurofen sorts it or do you mean that you get used to the Vagifem and it doesn't happen after a few applications?

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »

Thanks.  Had a good nights sleep last night. Didn't even get up once.

How was your start up with vagifem Katejo? Did it make things worse?

I'm having a think about what to do. I may start again but do it when I'm not at work.

CLKD that's interesting that you feel the need to wee for 24 hours after using Ovestin. That's the main reason I got them, to stop this feeling, so if you are using twice a week then you get this feeling twice a week?

Not keen on the estring option.
My startup worked really well and continued while i was using it every day for 2 weeks but the irritation has returned since I dropped to 2 a week as per instructions. I actually had another urine test done this week in case the infection hadn't cleared. I expected the result yesterday but haven't had it yet.  I previously tried Estriol cream but dropped it when I realised that the 'weeing effect' was really bad  so my first impression of vagifem was very  good.
It is a bit odd when the treatment which is supposed to prevent irritation sometimes  seems to cause it.

Dierdre

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 06:52:54 PM »

The maintenance dose of twice a week is not enough for most and I need to take daily all the time. If you were feeling better after the 2 week every day then you may need to up the doseage. If you go onto the search tab and type in vagifem up dosage you will find a lot of people do not manage on twice a week especially since it was reduced from 25mcg to 10mcg per tablet. The NICE guidelines also say that the dosage can be higher if needed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 08:16:03 PM »

It is Trial and Error for many ladies.  If 2 weeks helps but dropping the dose gives a return of symptoms up to alternate nights?  4 me it's as necessary as my symptoms fortunately are less and I get good warning when symptoms niggle.  I then do a 3/4 night re-load then see how the area feels.

If my bladder is irritated the morning after use of the Ovestin I take 1 Nurofen capsule, which eases the feelings.  I think I've been using it for about 5 years now. 

Blot

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 11:42:02 AM »

Do most people use vagifem at night or can it be used any time?

Also does multi gyn actigel always sting so much. It lasted a good 30-45 mins last night.

Katejo

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »

Do most people use vagifem at night or can it be used any time?

Also does multi gyn actigel always sting so much. It lasted a good 30-45 mins last night.
  I had assumed that it was normally used at night but have wondered whether daytime use was an option  myself. I haven't tried the actigel. I have irritation now and really don't know the cause. i am thinking 'Could it be this or could it be that.....'?

Blot

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »

I just wondered if I start up with it again whether it might be a good idea to use it mornings then I could deal with any symptoms better during the day.

I too keep thinking of different causes for everything. I tie myself in knots.  It's exhausting and I want to just forget about it.

I'm trying the actigel to see if that helps calm things down first.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »

Maybe stick with the actigel for 2 weeks? Otherwise you will have little idea of what may be helping  ;).  Good old Granny recipe of bicarbonate of soda or Vaseline might also help.  Keeping the outer lips supple is as important as the internal areas.  I use KY jelly if the outer lips are dry and itchy.

How are you today?

Katejo

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »

I just wondered if I start up with it again whether it might be a good idea to use it mornings then I could deal with any symptoms better during the day.

I too keep thinking of different causes for everything. I tie myself in knots.  It's exhausting and I want to just forget about it.

I'm trying the actigel to see if that helps calm things down first.
  I know what you mean. If I get my urine test result tomorrow and it shows no infection, part of me will think "It could have developed between giving the sample and now"!  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »

Nope.  Unlikely.  Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms which GPs don't often associate with peri-menopause.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry, inside and out: including deep in the vagina.  Dryness can equate to itchiness as the skin thins.  What lubricant do you use regularly?  4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o

Some ladies myself included as well as a Great Aunt now aged 90  :o began symptoms way later.  I was 11+ years post bleed for example.

Maybe take a pain relief medication?  I do and it eases my symptoms of feeling the need to wee.  Also make sure that you drink enough but not too much.  Your urine should be straw coloured not darker or lighter ;-). 

Blot

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »

I'm not dry and itchy at all CLKD. I've no idea what's going on. I m sure the actigel has made me worse, I'm going to stop that too and just wait and see.

Does your gp just let you drop a urine sample off Katejo?  I took one into my last appointment and the doc didn't even test mine!

Katejo

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

Nope.  Unlikely.  Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms which GPs don't often associate with peri-menopause.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry, inside and out: including deep in the vagina.  Dryness can equate to itchiness as the skin thins.  What lubricant do you use regularly?  4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o

Some ladies myself included as well as a Great Aunt now aged 90  :o began symptoms way later.  I was 11+ years post bleed for example.

Maybe take a pain relief medication?  I do and it eases my symptoms of feeling the need to wee.  Also make sure that you drink enough but not too much.  Your urine should be straw coloured not darker or lighter ;-).
I already keep an eye on the urine colour and have taken 1 dose of Nurofen today. It didn't cause me any problems during peri menopause either. I started getting UTI's   a  bit later. I have only tried a lubricant bought over the counter at Boots.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »

That's fine Katejo - keep using the lubricant regularly on the outer lips.  Anything to stop dryness developing.  I wasn't dry either but my GP diagnosed VA over the 'phone [don't ask  ;D] and not on Skype ......

Wait and see is a good idea.  Maybe try something more simple if symptoms continue?  When I had symptoms I would ring the surgery to see if the sample would be taken to a Lab. on that day, didn't want it sitting around!  One got 'lost' ..... another was too old hence the 'phone call. 

Gt Aunt was surprised that at her age  ??? .......... but has been gently advised to keep an appt with the Practice Nurse ;-). 

Katejo

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 03:19:29 PM »

I'm not dry and itchy at all CLKD. I've no idea what's going on. I m sure the actigel has made me worse, I'm going to stop that too and just wait and see.

Does your gp just let you drop a urine sample off Katejo?  I took one into my last appointment and the doc didn't even test mine!
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. On this occasion i had had a phone appointment and explained that the AB wasn't doing the job and asked for another test to be done. The GP left a form for me to collect so I just needed to do the sample and hand it in. Firstly i delayed the test for a while  because I thought that the Vagifem was helping but then, after the 2 weeks initial period, the symptoms started returning.
Your GP didn't even do the quick test in the surgery?

Katejo

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »

That's fine Katejo - keep using the lubricant regularly on the outer lips.  Anything to stop dryness developing.  I wasn't dry either but my GP diagnosed VA over the 'phone [don't ask  ;D] and not on Skype ......

Wait and see is a good idea.  Maybe try something more simple if symptoms continue?  When I had symptoms I would ring the surgery to see if the sample would be taken to a Lab. on that day, didn't want it sitting around!  One got 'lost' ..... another was too old hence the 'phone call. 

Gt Aunt was surprised that at her age  ??? .......... but has been gently advised to keep an appt with the Practice Nurse ;-).
The outer bit doesn't feel dry and itchy. The discomfort is only inside.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6