Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your Favorite "Exercise"???  (Read 5964 times)

JaneinPen

Re: Your Favorite "Exercise"???
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 07:45:17 AM »

I tried walking in the training pool at our local centre as it wasn't as deep. Okay up to a point but couldn't do many strides before having to turn and so yes it became very boring and honestly didn't make any difference. I can't swim because I can't get my ears wet.  Tried many different ways of keeping the water out which haven't worked so breast stroke is the only option and is the worst one for back sufferers so my two walks with and without the trekking poles are my choice right now

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 08:23:35 AM »

I stopped swimming locally due to the issues you mention  >:(  ::).  I would love a bungalow with a heated, covered pool off the bedroom .......  :whist:  I have the design in my head  ;)

This morning I have got out of bed, walked up and down stairs a few times, off to hang laundry - does that count  :D

Ladybt28

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »

It's quite surprising how many calories housework burns - but you don't need one of those expensive tracker things CKLD you can put a free app on your phone and keep it in your pocket to find out just how many steps you do in a day and it's quite encouraging!  Are we going to be seeing you hanging around with Kevin McCoud in Grand Designs any time soon???? ;D :D

I had the opportunity to go a couple of times with a friend when I lived in England to a really posh country club type spa and I loved their swimming pool - totally different from a public one - but hey ho there are none close to me here and I couldn't afford it anyway.

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 10:34:09 AM »

We have a large pool that never gets used , neither DH or myself are into swimming about although we both dive 😂.
The dogs used it more than us so it's been closed all year, dread to think how green it is under that cover 😶

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »

:o. where do you live again suziq99  ;D - on my way  8)

I don't have apps.  I know where my mobile is and how to text.  I don't need it for anything else.  I know exactly how far I walk daily and it ain't far enough!  I tried skipping a few years ago and bought a holla hoop  :rofl:

Housework certainly burns off calories.  My Gran started hers at 5.00 a.m. so that she was ready to run about with the kids once we were out of bed  ::)

BlueButterfly

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 01:13:45 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one who hates the public pools. My family finds me a little odd for that.

Cleaning does burn calories....now if only I was better with doing chores.  ;)

Yoga today. Was rather nice but realize that I am weaker than I thought. Definitely need to get that muscle strength up and lack of flexibility. But, so far, seemed to get by with no injures, just minor sore muscles from having to use them!

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »

You can use the pool anytime CLKD but you'll have to clean it up first 😂
I was doing Yoga regularly a few years ago, I'm not good at it but just going through the moves really helps.
Just gone back to it & boy do I feel stiff half the stuff I'm nowhere near the other girls, thing is it doesn't matter it's all about you. 3rd week in & I'm feeling so much better in myself I guess just getting out & talking to other ppl helps as well.
Keep it up BB it does help.
I'd love to try Pilates if I could find a class.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:06:49 AM by suziq99 »

Ladybt28

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 11:44:01 AM »

I really liked yoga but as I hurt my left arm/left shoulder blade and neck in an accident any arm raising, downward dogging, and prostrating yourself on the floor (think it is called hare pose) after 3 sessions renders me a complete cripple. I need 6 weeks without anything for the pain to go by which time any benefit was destroyed.  I had to give it up despite the fact I thought it might strengthen those broken bits, doing that to yourself can in no way be healthy. :'(

sheila99

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2018, 10:32:21 PM »

If you're pulling muscles rather than just sore from being used it might be worth considering testosterone. I don't do 'proper' exercise but I help on the farm and found I was pulling muscles frequently when I shouldn't have done. There has been a definite improvement since I've been on testosterone.

Ladybt28

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 11:28:41 PM »

Sheila99 - not exactly pulling muscles, I have major weakness in that left arm, shoulder, neck from a car accident.  Normally when you have a weakness exercising the muscles usually strengthens them, they may be sore for a couple of days, but then it should wear off. In my case it causes so much pain even if I that really really easy (often when I was at class it felt like I wasn't doing anything at all, like not even trying) but it takes so long to settle minimum a month, its not working out like it should. Yoga definitely shouldn't do that, it should be ongoing gently strengthening and stretching.  Funny you should mention testosterone, that is top of my list to request next time I am seen at the meno clinic in January.  GP wont entertain it and I know the meno clinic wont unless I have been on 3 continuous months of a regime.  There was a lot of chopping and changing recently but by the time I go I will have done more than 3 months.

If I can get it I will be interested to see if there is any change in my left upper side. The accident happened when I was peri meno.  I didnt break anything or need an operation but the damage to the shoulder muscles and elbow was significant.  I was on HRT but not testosterone.  I wonder if they healed properly?

sheila99

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 02:06:07 PM »

Ladybt28 - I'd be inclined to agree it might not have healed properly, it shouldn't cause you that much pain. It might be worth getting it checked out, and perhaps you could get some physio. It worries me that you could be doing more harm than good. It would be good if you could find someone with knowledge of medical recovery to give you some guidance on how much you can do without damaging it. The pilates teacher at the one session I attended (didn't feel I'd had a workout) had started by teaching those recovering from accidents/operations before moving to the gym so that might be something else to enquire about.
 My muscles felt weak. It wasn't so much that I hadn't the strength, more that they were much more likely to be damaged by some small action. No-one was interested in prescribing testosterone for weak muscles, I got it because I also had zero libido - I'd hate to encourage you to lie but sometimes it's the easy option! 

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »

2-day I have walked round antique shops - does that count?  I have done some gardening and hung out laundry. 

BlueButterfly

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 01:38:18 AM »

CLKD, that sounds like great exercise to me! It would be horrible for me though. I love old things! Driving hubby crazy. My favorite right now, 100 year old camera I got when my grandmother passed. My father wanted to throw them (a couple others not as old) away but my mother saved them for me! It's beautiful! But just more stuff taking up room in his mind.

Hubby and I went on a walk around the neighborhood. It was something. It's about all either can do right now. He's still waiting for a damaged MCL to heal.

Yoga is too much for me right now even...at least some of it. I need to just do poses that work for me. Muscles are a disaster. I think they are getting weak? I can still do things I did before BUT I either get burnt out quickly or hurt something.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »

Singing?  Good over-all exercise ;-)

Cameras are back in fashion .........  :whist: and everything has a sale value ;-)

BlueButterfly

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »

Cameras will be my downfall one day!

A few years ago I finally got a nice camera...nothing too special but I love my DSLR camera. I learned I LOVE photography. Couldn't do it as a job though, so did it for free. LOVED IT. (Had to get a real job though  ::)) That was the best thing I ever did for myself. I can't even explain how much it helped me with body image and self esteem issues. Not because I was great at it (honestly, I'm not bad at all) but seeing things through the lens was the best. When you take pictures of people, you want to get them at their best...help them feel beautiful/handsome, etc. So you start to look at them that way...finding what makes them beautiful...and I started to see EVERYONE this way, without the camera lens. Oh it was a wonderful way to see the world....and in turn, I started to look at myself this way as well. It just turned the way I saw the world and people completely around....OH I need to get myself behind that camera lens again.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3