Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Placebo Effect - Michael Mosley  (Read 3095 times)

Katejo

Re: The Placebo Effect - Michael Mosley
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »

It was the expected % I believe of people who will get relief of symptoms by thinking it might be an active ingredient.  Whereas Moi  :D  ::).  The body will heal itself to a certain degree but I like to give mine a helping hand or several.  If I get a headache and don't take at least 1 Nurofen capsule I become nauseated.  Because I know that the capsule will work and if after an hour symptoms persist I take the 2nd one, I am less stressed.  Same with sciatica which I know is usually self inflicted  :(  :D.  Note to self  ::)

I think that tension can exacerbate symptoms.  It has been proven that patients on a morphine drip in Hospital use less than those patients who have to wait for the medicine trolley because the latter arrives at specific times of the day.  Patients that can opt for a drip trigger don't have to worry about not getting pain relief when required.  [if that makes sense  :-\].  Some medics are really engrained on keeping to the 4 or 6 hour gaps between pain relief  :-\ which causes stress and upset.

Maybe when people have tried everything that the NHS can offer or Over the Counter remedies, a 'new' drug is worth taking a chance on - they all knew that some would get a placebo ......... a double trial experiment would be interesting on the back of this.  Trouble is, if I continued with pain I would reach for my usual medication  ::)
In the study featured in the programme, they all got a placebo. They thought that some would and some wouldn't. Yes I have read about the pain control study before. Patients then feel that they have some control over the situation so take less of the morphine. in the version I read, it wasn't a continuous drip but the patients could press a button to release more.

Quite a few years ago (1987) I helped at a summer camp for kids with learning disabilities in France. I remember one boy saying that he had toothache. The staff member on duty offered him a soluble aspirin which he drank. After the child had left us, the staff member told me that it was actually just a bit of sugar powder in water. Later we saw the child again and his toothache was better! That is probably when I first came across the placebo factor.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »

Yep they all had the placebo which wasn't revealed until later.  Cynic me, if I even thought it wasn't real  ;D

Nowt wrong with sugared water either.  Mum used to have a tin of sweeties we were never taken to a hospital.  It was Dettol, a hug and a sweetie ;-)

Gangan

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »

Trouble is children can tell you allsorts Katejo ! He may not have had a toothache in the first place.

Stress and pain are linked which can be noticed when you have chronic pain. More stress more pain. Comes from the same area in the brain.

It you continued with pain CKLD there maybe no point in reaching for your usual medication as you could need something else or a placebo  ;)

Gangan

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »

Nope.  My regime works for me.  1 Nurofen initially followed by the 2nd if necessary.  If pain is really bad then 2 initially followed by 1 75 mins. later.  No problems apart from when I had trigenimal neuralgia  :'(
Pages: 1 [2]