Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vaginal dryness and fibroids  (Read 1642 times)

Foxy01

Vaginal dryness and fibroids
« on: September 21, 2018, 09:12:09 AM »

Hi I'm new to this forum I thought I'd sailed through my menopause but I've got vaginal dryness which makes having intercourse so painful , I've tried every over the counter product and none work so I've finally made a appointment with my doctor , I've been trying to do some research and have looked at vagifem and Ovestin creams and vaginal rings but not sure which is the best to ask for , I also have a large fibroid which has never caused me any issues , any help would be grateful received so when I see the doctor I least no my options xx

Joaniepat

Re: Vaginal dryness and fibroids
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »

Hi Foxy01, welcome to the forum. I would ask to try Vagifem first. You will need use it for 14 consecutive nights to start with, and then you can drop down to 2 or 3 per week depending on how well your symptoms are controlled. The dosage in these pessaries is 10 mcg estradiol, much lower than the old version which was 25 mcg. Thus, many women need more than 2 a week. Also use a vaginal moisturiser such as Sylk or one of the Yes products. These are easiest to buy online, but are sometimes available from the GP. Organic coconut oil is also good as a moisturiser. If necessary you can ask your GP for Ovestin to use on the labia. Some women use Vagifem internally and Ovestin externally, it depends what suits and is all trial and error. Neither product should have any impact on the fibroid as it is such a low dose and there is no systemic absorption once the tissues have plumped up.

I am sure more members will be along with more advice. It is, unfortunately, such a common problem. There are plenty of threads on the forum, so have a good browse round.

Best wishes,
JP x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »

I agree with Joaniepat.  Go for Vagifem with either SYLK or the YES vaginal moisturisers.  Utrogenital atrophy is very common and few women (or their GPs) know that local oestrogen is essential.
For extra help with sex I use Durex Perfect Glide. DG x

Foxy01

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 02:00:02 PM »

Thank you for your advice , I'm off to the doctors next Monday so will ask hint for Vagifem x