Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: FIBROID heavy bleeding, HRT and clotting drugs  (Read 1647 times)

Duncaf31

• First Flush
FIBROID heavy bleeding, HRT and clotting drugs
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:04:30 AM »

Have had fibroids for years, with no trouble. Aged 56 have suddenly been plunged into extremely heavy bleeding after taking HRT for six months. Ended up at the emergency gynae clinic and scan revealed it was fibroids and I require a full hysterectomy (hopefully nothing else lurking but have to wait a month for biopsies ...sigh)

Difficulty is I'm getting little sense from my GP and have no access to the consultants.

I was on Provera for the bleeding with very little success. Then was put on Tranexamic acid, which has calmed it down but not stopped it. The hyserecromy is two months away at least (or consultant screwed up her face when she said that, so who knows) I know I can ask for an injection, but the consultant said, without giving me any details, that this would bring on the menopause in full.

Since one of the first things she told me to do was stop HRT cold turkey I'm having a pretty bloody time of it ..... pardon the use of language. Anxiety and sleeplessness are the reasons I went on it and they're both back immediately. I don't fancy the idea of finding myself having any further menopause symptoms. I don't think I can take it tbh.

Does anyone on here have an knowledge of anything about this. I'm at a loss as to where to find advice.

Dancinggirl

Re: FIBROID heavy bleeding, HRT and clotting drugs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:12:25 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

It sounds as though the hysterectomy is a good idea and unfortunately you may simply have to wait till the operation before you can start some oestrogen again. You could try an AD/SRRI for the short term to get you through the next few weeks but they can bring some side effects - could be worth discussing with the GP as the  anxiety and sleeplessness could be helped with an AD/SSRI.   
I'm surprised they didn't offer to fit a Mirena, as this is often the first option before a hysterectomy.  A Mirena will keep the womb lining thin, reduce and often stop bleeding and will often shrink fibroids - were you fibroids too large?
DG x

Annika

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 11:30:23 PM »

I had the heavy never ending bleeding when I hit 54, looking back I think it was one of the worst times in my life. After bleeding almost seven months straight I asked for a hystectomy and my doctor took me in right away. Afterwards she put me on HRT the gel for hot flashes etc., but after about a year most symptoms settled down and I came off it. I was so happy to have the operation, for me it was wonderful not to have to worry about pain and bloating,bleeding, ovarian cysts, and fibroids, really a whole new lease on life. I remember I had five ovarian cysts and each one had to be tested for cancer also the womb lining but its only procedure to be on the safe side. Two months isn't too long to wait and after you can ask for the HRT if you need it. Hope you can get it all sorted Duncaf31 soon, I used a website called Hystersisters.com and you can read about other ladies in the same situation and how to prepare for your op. Good Luck.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:50:40 PM »

Hi Duncaf31

:welcomemm: from me too

I agree with Dancinggirl - about the Mirena coil. Could you not have one fitted immediately and then continue with the HRT in the meantime? What HRT were you using and how long ago before starting it was your last natural period? I presume the fibroids were very big hence the hysterectomy recommendation but might be worth exploring other options or getting a second opinion if you're not keen?

Hurdity x