Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Supplements can cause problems  (Read 4598 times)

Hoffgrad

Supplements can cause problems
« on: May 20, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »

For many years I have dipped in and out of the world of supplements... vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc etc.  I am fairly knowledgeable regarding nutrition, and I do feel that some people need various top ups from time to time.   I am a very healthy eater but I have a dodgy immune system (prefer not to elaborate on that), so I do resort to supplementation at times.  In the winter I always take vitamin D sublingual spray, and I find that I also need B12 as have malabsorption problems.   

However, I do believe wholeheartedly, that we can do harm with supplements if they are not required.

I recently bought myself some Metatone tonic.  I usually buy very good quality (Solgar) supplements but I saw this in Waitose and I remember years ago, my mother used to use this if she was feeling run down.   I thought I would give it a try.    Interestingly, after only one day,  it gave me an awful feeling of being wired.   I also noticed that my eyes looked odd.. took on a slightly yellow tinge and I looked completely drained....dry mouth too.    I don't usually suffer with anxiety at all, and so it was noticeable.   

Of course when you Google anything like this, you will invariably only see positive reviews.   I felt totally wiped out and had to go to bed early.. really unusual for me.   It was as if I had a shot of adrenaline that led to a crash afterwards.   

I was wondering if anyone else had had this with Metatone.  I notice that the main ingredient in it, is Thiamine (B1). 

Random post but was interested. 

Shadyglade

Re: Supplements can cause problems
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »

Often it is not what is in it but the quantity.

Was the dose above recommended levels.  This can be a problem especially with B vitamins.

Also is there anything else in it that you could be allergic to.

Hoffgrad

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 04:41:09 PM »

Hi there

Don't worry, as I said, I am pretty knowledgeable and sensible with supplements.  Yes, totally aware of safe levels.    I know that too much  of the V vitamins (or complex) can cause heightened energy, and that's really why most people take it.   

It is though the first time I had taken 'Metatone' and so I had wondered whether any other ladies had take this product and if they'd had a similar response. 

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 05:53:50 PM »

I've not had Metatone but I tried green tea and my god I thought I was going to faint and throw up.  A few months later I took a green tea pill and had  exactly the same symptoms

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »

Have you talked to a Pharmacist?  Is there a web-site for people with similar symptoms?

My Gran swore by a tonic called Wincanis but can't buy it now.  A small glass every day at 11.00 a.m., I still have the glass she served it in.

What's in it exactly?

Nannyneet

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:34:12 PM »

I suffer with anaemia and take Metatone to help with this,I've used it for years on and off depending on how yucky Im feeling,I can normally tell now without a blood test if my iron levels have got too low and Metatone usually sorts me out after a few days,I am a vegetarian but I'm also terrible at eating a healthy diet so I know I'm probably lacking in vitamins,I take a Vit D spray in the winter only as it's not recommended to use it in the summer because we can get our vit D from sunlight

I've never had a problem with Metatone myself

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 07:23:21 AM »

Amaranth is an ingredient in Metatone which some people are allergic to.

If you read the patient notes, which should have come with the product, it clearly states this.

Always read the patient notes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 04:00:12 PM »

I had a friend who was vegetarian from the age of 15 until we were into our late 50s.  Then she craved meat  ;D ........ and after beginning adding chicken foods to her diet, felt way better!  Listen to your body?

Nannyneet

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 08:29:48 PM »

I had a friend who was vegetarian from the age of 15 until we were into our late 50s.  Then she craved meat  ;D ........ and after beginning adding chicken foods to her diet, felt way better!  Listen to your body?

I have been a vegetarian since 2011 and although I miss the taste of meat I won't eat it now,I was severely anaemic the whole time I was a meat eater but funnily since being a vegetarian it has never been as bad, the only time I get anaemic now is if I eat junk food instead of the healthy vege food I should be eating,I go through phases of not eating properly and this makes me ill but if I'm eating my usual healthy vege diet I'm fine, infactnthe last time I had bloods done my doctor reckoned my results were the best they have ever been and possibly better than his .....but he eats meat though

squeaker99

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 02:00:02 PM »

I went a bit bonkers on vitamins in early Peri after doing too much
Googling. Took Multi Vits/D/B12/ACE , Camls, a Meno Valerian one.  Had a random
blood test after I went to the GP anxious convinced I had X,Y,Z (I hadn't)
and my liver enzymes were up. Was told to come off all vitamins.
Sent for a scan (fine) and retested in 6 weeks (fine). You never know what causes these
things. I know when I don't sleep well and are stressed my blood sugar goes up.

I think a good diet is all most people need in most cases.

Hoffgrad

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 04:27:50 PM »

I always feel that when asking questions on a forum, it's important to remember that not only is everyone different, but they also have their own strong views on things.   There is no right or wrong... just what we believe to be right or wrong for 'us'.   

Ideally yes, one would hope that the vitamins and minerals we have in our diet, would be enough.  However even though my diet is very good, I have malabsorption problems... .runs in my family.  Hence my need for supplements.   

Thank you for your response.