Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Visiting somewhere for a couple of days .... England?  (Read 1989 times)

Pennyfarthing

Visiting somewhere for a couple of days .... England?
« on: September 16, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »

I wanted to go away next Sunday 22nd for a week and I wanted to go abroad. Hubby is a miserable old b****r at the moment and says he doesnt want to as its too soon after our last holiday. Its FOUR months!!!  I thought about going by myself and it wouldnt bother me TBH but Mum hasnt been too good lately and we have had a couple of hospital visits so maybe its not meant to be.

He grudgingly said he would take some days off work and we could go out but thats no good to me as we still have phonecalls, people calling round as he is self employed.  I need a few days with nothing going on and a few days with no care home visits.

My thinking now is to get him to go away for a couple of days that week but I can't think of anywhere I would really like to go.  I wouldnt like to go as far as Wales or Scotland thats all I know.

all suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Shadyglade

Re: Visiting somewhere for a couple of days .... England?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »

We recently had a couple of days in Bath. Lovely town, lots to see and good restaurants.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:25:12 PM »

I was going to suggest Bath.  There's so many lovely towns and cities.  We camp so try to visit somewhere new each time x

Ladybt28

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »

Poole in Dorset - spectacular harbour - usually good weather as it has a "micro climate".  I could get away with a roll neck and fleece through the winter.  Plenty to do - loads of events going on all the time and if you got bored there you could go a bit down the road to Bournemouth or to the quaint bits of the Jurassic coast towards Swanage.  Great local transport buses and trains so places easy to get to.

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 05:39:49 AM »

York is good for couple of days. We stayed in the oldest pub that's haunted for a bit of a laugh, can't remember the name now but it's at the end of Shambles, didn't get much sleep but it was fun and there's so much to see.

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:40:48 AM »

Yep, I like York too. Lots to do there and two Betty's Tearoo so.

If you fancy somewhere on the coast Southwold is lovely. Like a country town by the sea.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

Well thanks. You wouldnt believe it but we have been to all of those places.  I fancy somewhere different. My Son lived in York so we know that well. Southwold we've been to often. Bournemouth, daughter and I had a week about 2 years ago and we also did Bath, the costume museum etc. Poole we liked very much and we did all that area .

We used to go to the New Forest very often so thats out too.

Thanks

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »

Canterbury.  My neck of the woods so know it well. History, shop, cathedral etc.

littleminnie

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »

Oxford, Hereford, Gloucester, Chester are all nice.

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 05:59:09 PM »

Stick a pin 📍 in a map and what comes up.  ;D

shrosphirelass

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 07:06:37 PM »

We recently went to Cheltenham which is very nice.

If you've not been to Shropshire that's worth a visit. I'm biased as that's where I live and come from.  South Shropshire for outstanding countryside, Shrewsbury for shopping and restaurants, Ironbridge for exploring the Industrial revolution.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 07:44:04 PM »

How about the Lake District.
Only been once, lovely for getting out walking.
Clear the head as they say........

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »

The New Forest. I would say Suffolk but as you live in Norfolk it's too close  :D

Taz x

JaneinPen

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »

Lavenham in Suffolk is beautiful. The 250 or so Tudor timber framed houses and shops are spectacular.  The church has more than a 100 crossstitch kneelers that I think the local people did for the millennium.  Nearby Kentwell Hall and Long Melford Hall are worth a visit too and the Holy Trinity Church has the longest nave in England

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 01:35:03 PM »

Bath, Liverpool, Glastonbury, London, Cardiff, Hereford...my favorite places! xx  :gym:
Pages: [1] 2