Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Discomfort around the vagina inside and out  (Read 1753 times)

Pandora

Discomfort around the vagina inside and out
« on: September 15, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »

Hi all
Not been on the forum for ages, so I suppose thats a good sign. However recently I have had some issues, firstly starting with frequency of weeing, then feeling discomfort down there. Slight burning inside the vagina, sometimes itching and sore. Went to see my gp, at first she said it could be a urine infection so gave me antibiotics. I did mention vaginal atrophy, as I remembered reading about it on this forum.

I have finished the weeks course of AB's, maybe not weeing as much but otherwise still sore, and it seems a bit red near vagina. Had to re-visit gp, she did a swab. I have had a small amount of bleeding (which has now stopped) so gp has referred me for a scan at the hospital, well the whole package really. I have not been given anything for the soreness and it is uncomfortable but I do have an appointment Monday morning at the hospital, which is very quick. I am on hrt 50mcg patches twice a week and provera every 8 weeks.

Anyone had similar experiences? Just remembered the gp gave me caneston cream and a tablet. Put the cream on and it stung a lot so had to shower it off.

Pandora

Joaniepat

Re: Discomfort around the vagina inside and out
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »

Hi Pandora, it sounds like classic vaginal atrophy to me. You need to get some Vagifem or Ovestin up there pronto. Why oh why do GPs always prescribe ABs and/or Canestin? Neither will do any good unless they are sure you have a urine infection or fungal infection. The bleeding may have been from tiny cuts in the fragile tissues. I'm not surprised the Canestin stung.

In the meantime, avoid anything scented in the bath or shower, try to avoid getting water between the labia (which would wash out the friendly bacteria) and use a vaginal moisturiser such as  Sylk or one of the Yes products. Organic coconut oil is also good as a moisturiser. For the bladder issues, drink plenty of water and try half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water three times a day for two or three days. This will lessen the acidity of the urine.

Even if on systemic HRT, many women need local oestrogen as well to keep VA under control. I hope your GP will see sense and prescribe some.

JP x

Pandora

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »

Thank you for your reply Joanie, everything you say makes sense. Well I have this hospital visit on Monday and I dont look forward to being messed around with when I'm sore.

Pandora

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »

You can get VA even if you are on systemic HRT, I would ask for a prescription for Vagifem and Ovestin to use on the outside sore bits.
I got fobbed off by doctors telling me it was thrush and advising canestan, that was six years ago and it looks like most GP's are still doing it, I despair!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »

Your GP is remiss in not sending a fresh sample to a Lab. for testing!   Get some appropriate VA treatment up there.  Ring your Surgery on Monday morning and ask for it.  Let us know!

Pandora

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:32:00 PM »

Hi clkd

I did give a sample of urine, sorry didn't mention that. I got some Replens which has helped with the discomfort. As I was saying I now have a hospital appointment tomorrow morning which I will have to keep now. I will ask them what they can give me. Its frustrating as I suspected va and mentioned it to her but she has ignored it, now I feel i'm wasting their time at the hospital.

Pandora

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 09:45:00 PM »

A Hospital appt is never wasted!  How did you get on?

replens is a moisturiser so may well ease some symptoms but it won't replace the oestrogen loss which causes the skin to dry inside and out  :o: including the vagina.  Ring your GP and ask for treatment, they should be able to leave a prescription for you. Don't  be fobbed off!