Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Beauty problems and menopause ca  (Read 3048 times)

Poppi

Beauty problems and menopause ca
« on: September 14, 2018, 10:55:55 PM »

Can I start a beauty thread? Treated myself today and saw a different beautician who analysed my skin this:
Dehydrated forehead
Red veins on cheeks
Milia on chin+under eyes
Fine lines round eyes
Oily nose area
Pigmentation
Red sensitive skin all over
She then sucked the top layer of dehydrated skin blocking any cream reaching the sensitive skin with a little hoover type thing and plastered her recommended cream to finish off the facial.
She recommended a course if 10 treatments @ £42 a go plus £20 facial wash and £65 cream, plus advice to buy a simple kind of cream with
 SPF 40 for day time.
I had a complimentary coffee to decide what to do and discovered the therapist was the owner, so little wonder she gave me the hard sell!
I've decided not to take her advice, my skin was clogged up with too many different products so I'm just going back to basics with a weekly exfoliating treatment at home.
I'm going to the Clarins counter soon to ask advice for sensitive skin.
Sorry this is so long, what do other ladies do?
Poppi x

Annie0710

Re: Beauty problems and menopause ca
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 12:04:21 AM »

I wear make up daily but am soooo lazy with removal ! Quick baby wipe to get it off !

I'm also bad at using moisturisers too.  X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »

Poppi - I do agree with you about the hard sell regarding products.
I know many love the Clarins products but like so many things it's about finding what works for you.
I personally love Clinique and I suggest you pop to their counter and ask for samples to try and/or possibly buy a small sample pack to try before investing big money.
I love Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturiser and they now brought out a gel version that may be perfect for your sensitive skin. I add in some richer day and night creams on top of this basic moisturiser when and where needed.
There is no doubt our skin suffers badly once menopause hits but I agree with you that a good basic cleansing routine that is not harsh on the skin is essential.
I also use Aveena body moisturiser after my shower to relieve the dry itchy skin on my body.
Let us know how you get on.  DG x

Poppi

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »

I'd forgotten about Clinique DG, the toner thingy would be too harsh but there will be other products. Going to have a fun time!
My skin is baby smooth after the £45 treatment yesterday  :ola: :clapping
Poppi x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 10:44:27 AM »

Well done Poppie.
Any chance of a face transplant for me ? ;D ;D
Come to think of it, a whole body one too will do.  Lol.  :rofl:

You go for it....

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »

I have very weird skin and want to get botox and maybe fillers with the view to getting a facelift when needed.  I don't have any wrinkles as such, none at all around the eyes and overall my skin is better than a 5-year-old but I do have lines going down either side of my mouth my nose and slight jowls, weird. I think it might be because of the sudden menopause plus cleaning my skin too thoroughly as that can break down the collagen and lead to premature aging.  I use Garnier Revitalift morning and night and that is a really good product I look sightly better since using it, it smells nice an isn't too greasy.  I tried facial excerises they don't work and am currenly trying a little vibrating massager all over my skin morning and night for fve mntes if that doesn't help the jowling I'll try a more enxpnve proct.  Also try youtubing PIxiewoo, a makeup artist sister dup they are really helpful.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »

My Mum is 94 and still has lovely skin with hardly a wrinkle. She has never smoked or drunk alcohol. She hardly used make up and the only regular thing I remember her using is Ponds cream in a white glass jar.

I dont use soap. I just wash my face with warm water using a muslin cloth rather than a flannel. I always, always moisturise as my skin is on the dry side.  I used to use Clarins but now I use Cetafil and Aldi's own alternately.  I use Avon SPF20 tinted moisturiser if I go out with a lick of lipstick and some eyeliner and thats it.

i have friends who have had fillers, botox and tattooed eyebrows and as far as I can see they are wasting their money but hey, its their money and their choice.

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 07:25:57 PM »

If it's done properly botox and filers can work really well so aren't always a waste fo  money.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:56:34 PM »

My Grannies never used soap on their skin.  Water came from a barrel, filtered off the roof via silk stockings so was always soft.  Ponds cream, Cuticura ointment ....... skin was soft.

I didn't use much make-up but now don't put soap on my face, warm water and a clean flannel does for me.  I wouldn't believe half what I was told by a beauty counter anyway  ::).  I don't use make-up because I'm too lazy or tired to take it off.

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 08:37:44 PM »

I'd forgotten about Clinique DG, the toner thingy would be too harsh but there will be other products. Going to have a fun time!
My skin is baby smooth after the £45 treatment yesterday  :ola: :clapping
Poppi x

What treatment was it exactky?

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »

yup spf is really important for aging

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 06:17:11 PM »

If it's done properly botox and filers can work really well so aren't always a waste fo  money.

I have a friend who had botox injections many years ago and she now has marks on her cheeks like tribal warriors have.

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »

Like I said though if done properly, which your friend's obviously wasn't, it can work pretty well, you need to do some research beforehand.

Poppi

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »

The treatment was called clear freeze or something. The lady hoovered my face  ;D and said weekly treatment best to maintain the smoothness, then changed her mind to once a fortnight or once a month???
I think a very gentle exfoliater(dermalogical powder stuff) will be just as good but 1/100th the price. Does anyone else use dermatological brand? I'm getting in a state about what's best as my conscience troubles me when I spend a lot then I think I've worked hard, don't spend on anything else so this is my one treat.
Ohhhhhh!!! Silly me!
Poppi x

Ladybt28

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »

See about buying stuff and not knowing it its any good - I just have to make a plug for QVC the shopping telly site and before you all groan (I don't know why people groan - I'm sure they just make assumptions - like "the stuff cant be any good or its just tat) -but they sell big brands like Dyson, le cruisete, Elemis skincare, Gatinaeu, Benefit, Liz Earle Clarks shoes, Silentnight beds etc etc. Its because I have used it for the last 10 years (it has been going 25) and the reason why I do is because they have a 30 day money guarantee on EVERYTHING including skincare and make up.  You can buy, open and use for 30 days any product - hoovers, shoes, makeup, computers, tellys, beds, jewellery even earrings, clothes(you can even wash them within the 30 days) and loads more and if you decide its not for you, you can send it back for a full refund - no catch - absolutely NONE!  Everyday there is a "special value item" - something at a much reduced price - it might even be a new launch not old stuff and sometimes things are done on 2/3 or 4 interest free split payments.

I can buy and try what I like and if it doesnt suit regardless of reason it goes back and back comes all my money - no where lets you try makeup or unpack goods and use them (anyone got a draw full of expensive foundations that "just ar'nt right"?) - that has to be a win win?   I am a frequent skincare buyer, but have bought hoovers, steamers and a couple of computers, jewellery as well. I've also sent back plenty of things which were not for me.

Might be a good way for you to try high end skincare Poppi - totally risk free.  Sorry if I've offended anyone making such a blatent plug but I think it's brill and everyone should know about it. ;)