Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Changing to Estradot and Mirena  (Read 1327 times)

kristina12

Changing to Estradot and Mirena
« on: September 18, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »

Has anyone got any advice on changing from oral HRT (Femoston) to estradot and a mirena coil please?
I've seen my GP today after suffering with stomach cramps on Femoston and she has agreed to me having a mirena coil fitted and using estradot patches.
I did well with femseven patches but due to the manufacturing problem had to change, so tried Femoston but the digestive problems have continued.
She has booked me an appointment for next week to have the mirena fitted and said she will prescribe the estradot patches when she fits it. She said I can continue taking the Femoston until then or stop taking it now if I want to.
I asked her advice as I said I was concerned that if I stop suddenly I may start to bleed which may then cause problems fitting the coil. However she just said that it's up to me. As I will have to then get a prescription for the estradot when I'm currently on the oestrogen pills of the Femoston I'm a bit concerned about whether I will have a proper bleed if I don't continue to finish the cycle of Femoston when the mirena has been fitted. Has anyone else changed from one type to another and would it be advisable to finish this cycle even when I've had the coil fitted before starting the estradot?
Thanks for any advice that you can offer. My GP doesn't seem to be able to advise and I am concerned that if I don't finish this cycle I may end up with prolonged spotting after having the mirena fitted.x

SueLW

Re: Changing to Estradot and Mirena
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:55:33 PM »

You will get spotting with the Mirena.  For me that lasted around 4 months (not recently, I used it for BC back in the day).  There is absolutely no need to finish the course of this Femeston.  If you are worried about bleeding before the fitting, just keep taking the tablets until the day before fitting and then get it fitted.  Start your patch as soon as you get them.  It will take a while.  But my experience of the Mirena was great after the first 4 months.  Pretty dismal at first though, so don't give up.  I felt tired, fat, bloated and got bored with spotting all the time.  And then - bam! - no periods and I felt fine.  I had it fitted because my periods were getting heavy and painful.  It cured it all. 

I wish I had understood more about menopause then though.  Specifically peri.  Because it was the best BC I ever had owing to the fact that it killed my sex drive dead!  Stone cold.  I now realise that I needed some oestrogen and possibly testosterone at that point, that was why my periods were getting so heavy and painful, my hormones were going out of whack.  Full treatment then might have prevented a pretty dismal time in the past 6 years.

Good luck.  It will be much better.

kristina12

Re: Changing to Estradot and Mirena
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »

Thank you SueLW, I am really hoping that it helps. I had an endometrial ablation years ago to treat heavy bleeding so have only ever had very light periods since then which I am hoping will mean that I don't get too many problems with spotting. However, I was concerned that changing half way through the femoston cycle might cause more problems.
I definitely get on better with the transdermal delivery route though so I'm sure that it will be worth it in the long run compared to taking tablets. x