Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which vegetables are easy to digest?  (Read 4083 times)

shrosphirelass

Which vegetables are easy to digest?
« on: September 12, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »

Having been on holiday and feeling very much better stomach wise I'm trying to experiment with my diet to see if any particular foods are causing me issues. I do not eat meat and eat lots of vegetables so wondered whether some of these are causing me problems.

Anyone had any issues or found particular ones that are easy to digest? The only ones I can find that are recommended are carrots and I can't face a life time of all meals with just carrots!

Shadyglade

Re: Which vegetables are easy to digest?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »

I would have said that most veg is easy to digest providing it is cook until it is soft.  I tend to steam my veg so if I over cook a little it should still have the nutrients.

Oh, just thought. Avoid sweetcorn and uncooked peppers.  They seem to go straight through.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:27:33 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:45:30 PM »

What types of recipes did you eat on your hols.?  Maybe look on the internet to get some ideas as to the mixes and ratios used.  What ever, do try 1 at a time or you won't know what might be upsetting the digestive system.   Eat what you enjoy!
We eat:

ginger - a good gut cleanser
garlic - initially gave me intense heart burn but I persisted with success

mixed peppers [red, green, yellow]
peas - better eaten frozen unless you can pick from the vine as the goodness is sealed in - we rarely cook peas as we get them fresh

all types of beans either canned, frozen or fresh

sweet corn - can be taken from a can and put into stews or eaten as corn on the cob with butter and black pepper

brocolli
cauli - I love this one but it gives I wind  :-\
asparagus in season - buying from abroad means that the sugars which give the root it's taste has mainly gone

DH cooks a lot of curries onto a bed of boiled rice to which we add home-made chutneys
He eats lbs of apples every day  ::) without any apparent affects  :-\ :-X

How do you like to eat your food?  We eat a lot of chicken, occasionally steak but mainly in mixes of curries or mince mixtures on rice.  Crikey that sounds boring but it isn't.

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »

Apples give me wind.  Burp ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 02:31:11 PM »

I can't be bothered to chew them  ;D
I can't be bothered to peel oranges  ::)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 02:36:47 PM »

Well I had salad on holiday with grilled fish, so no cooked veg atall. I had loads of fresh tomatoes and these didn't cause any problems.

Normally I have loads of broccoli and frozen peas, some fine green beans, cauliflower, sweetcorn and occasional cabbage and carrots (not a huge fan). Recently had kale stir fried, but thoroughly cooked with a little garlic and onion and had awful pains after, not sure if it was related.

All this talk of food is making me hungry!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »

Yep.  I fancy right now a stir fry of mixed veg.  ;D

So cut out what gives you wind?  Were you aware of any alteration in bowel movements?

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »

What sort of digestive problems are you experiencing shrosphirelass?

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 04:33:08 PM »

The onion family are difficult to digest. Root vegetables tend to be more digestible and greens can give wind and bloating.
It's often the way you eat that can make the difference - so small meals eaten slowly - chew your food well.
DG x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »

Ive been having a lot of wind! Plus intermittent stomach pain and often a general feeling of  indigestion.

Also get really really nauseous, but I think that's a separate issue.

I always put onions and garlic in cooking and love leeks so perhaps avoid those? though can't cook without onion.

Avoided broccoli tonight and had carrots and a few fine green beans which I consciously chewed thoroughly. I do tend to bolt my food, comes from being one of 4 and wanting second helpings I think!

littleminnie

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »

Cauliflower is one of the veggies that is harder to digest.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 08:04:00 AM »

I take a supplement with digestive enzymes with each meal that really seems to help.  My digestion has greatly improved  with reduced reflux and heartburn. The brand mentioned on the Choises Website is ‘Beano' but this is expensive -  there are other good alternatives available.
I also take Windees and Peppeemint oil capsules after a meal.
Onions are a big problem for me and always have been. If they are cooked really well then they are easier to digest.
Small meals, regularly are the way to go and eat slowly. DG x

JaneinPen

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 08:14:43 AM »

Shosphirelass.  Do you eat bagged salad here in the U.K? Maybe where you were on holiday used fresh leaves etc.  I had awful digestive problems and realised through elimination that it was the bagged leaves I ate every lunchtime causing most of the problem

shrosphirelass

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »

Thank you all.  :) Will experiment and let you know how I get on.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 10:55:22 PM »

I am allergic to fresh onions it would be a Hospital Job  :o.  Those that have been cooked for a long while, i.e. in chutneys, are OK.  Leeks leave a 'taste'.

Rabbit grub: lettuce is mainly water so should not be given to bunnies as it can kill them  :'(  :-\ so maybe cut out lettuce and try some of the harder to chew leaves, i.e. rocket .........

Pages: [1] 2