Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: foul taste in my mouth  (Read 3620 times)

Peroxideblader

foul taste in my mouth
« on: September 12, 2018, 10:24:14 AM »

hi there...has anyone in perimenopause had a long period of time where they have a really nasty taste in their mouth that lasts all the time. I've had it before but only a week or so this time it's been about 3 weeks. I've eliminated the obvious it's not dental problems it's not gerd and the only thing left it vitamin deficiency which I'm tackling mainly low ferritin b12 and folate..but I've read it could be hormonal like the nasty taste when you're pregnant and wondered if anyone had experienced this......my biggest fear is it could be diabetes as it's in the family and when I had a test 5 years ago I was borderline apparently....couldn't cope with that diagnosis onto of this awful bad health with peri 😣😣

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: foul taste in my mouth
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »

If the body is low in Zinc one can develop a 'taste'.  Also if a person is on chemotherapy a 'nasty' taste can develop.  My sense of taste alters throughout the day, in the morning my cuppa tastes lovely  :-*.  By mid-afternoon it's foul  :-\

Peroxideblader

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »

Thanks clkd...mine lasts all day everyday at the moment..I'd read about zinc but apparently it's dangerous to supplement zinc before you've been tested low..I've just had 2 private blood tests but they were for thyroid folate b12 and vit d not zinc..I fit the low zinc symptoms but they also overlap with other illnesses and their symptoms....😏

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »

Hello  Peroxideblader.

I haven't had this symptom during menopause but I did have it in pregnancy so I assume it's hormone related. I thought that the breath smelling of aniseed or sweet apples was an indication of diabetes, but I could be wrong.

Although diabetes would be a  worrying development there is mounting evidence that it can be cured by diet so it may not be the horrible diagnosis you fear.

Hopefully you'll get some good advice soon and in the meantime I wish you well.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »

"Pine mouth"? I got bad taste from eating pine nuts - it is well known - so if you've started eating something with these in, then could be the culprit! I had to google this, because I thought there was something wrong with my teeth too but had just bought these from H and B and was adding to muesli etc. It disappeared soon  after I stopped eating them. Hereis an old article but not sure if there could still be rogue pine nuts on the market?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8455575/Cheap-Chinese-pine-nut-exports-blamed-for-rare-condition.html

Here is more info:
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food-safety/article/pine-nut-syndrome-pooey

I think not everyone is suseptible - it is thought to be one of those genetic variations according to a paper I read about it too....

Hopefully yours might be this otherwise - I have no idea - sorry!

Hurdity x

AnnieR66

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 06:23:36 PM »

Hi, I have had this nasty taste for over 2 years now and the last time I had it was when I was pregnant.
I also have a sore tongue and nasty slimy mouth and certain things taste nasty like tea, coke and chocolate just like when I was expecting.
I thought it was a leaky filling at first and have been spending a large portion of my life trying to get to the bottom of it.
Sorry I haven't got any answers but you not alone!
Annie x

Peroxideblader

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 10:28:02 PM »

thanks everyone...it's a metallic taste like I've sucked an old penny...so not sweet like in diabetes..but right now the way my list of illnesses is stacking up it could be. I'm still fighting for confirmation of hypopitituarism so I'll add it to my list...I love my food and I still eat it but it's just like it's gone off..and my one cappucino has been ruined 😊😊 how sad am I...I do eat granola not muesli but I'll look if it's got anyour pine nuts in.good job I don't snog my partner much it'd put him off for life 😆😆😆

Roseneath

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »

Just to say that stress can play a part in raising your blood sugar levels. A couple of years ago I ended up at the GP with anxiety (I also had a bad taste in my mouth as well as a long list of imagined ailments). My glucose was up but he suspected it was anxiety related. I was also sleeping badly. I had it tested 2 weeks  then 2 months later and it had gone back down to normal. Then 6 months later OK.  I went round the same cycle at the beginning of this year. I find if I am anxious and dwell on a symptom it gets worse. Once the GP has OKed it it gradually goes away... then I am on to a new anxiety..

Snoooze

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 04:34:19 PM »

Just to say that stress can play a part in raising your blood sugar levels. A couple of years ago I ended up at the GP with anxiety (I also had a bad taste in my mouth as well as a long list of imagined ailments). My glucose was up but he suspected it was anxiety related. I was also sleeping badly. I had it tested 2 weeks  then 2 months later and it had gone back down to normal. Then 6 months later OK.  I went round the same cycle at the beginning of this year. I find if I am anxious and dwell on a symptom it gets worse. Once the GP has OKed it it gradually goes away... then I am on to a new anxiety..

Roseneath, this is very interesting to me as my teenage daughter has anxiety and her glucose levels are raised and the Dr and diabetic nurses are scratching their heads about it as she doesn't meet any of the diabetic criteria. She has been very stressed this year so I wonder if that is a part of it? I will mention it to the diabetic nurse next time we see her. Thanks.

Snoooze

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »

thanks everyone...it's a metallic taste like I've sucked an old penny...so not sweet like in diabetes..but right now the way my list of illnesses is stacking up it could be. I'm still fighting for confirmation of hypopitituarism so I'll add it to my list...I love my food and I still eat it but it's just like it's gone off..and my one cappucino has been ruined 😊😊 how sad am I...I do eat granola not muesli but I'll look if it's got anyour pine nuts in.good job I don't snog my partner much it'd put him off for life 😆😆😆

I get the metallic taste but put it down to suffering from gum disease. Do you have gum disease?

Conolly

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 05:38:53 PM »

Hello ladies,

I've been researching all things glucose related because my levels are raised but the glucose tolerance test was normal.
Sleep apnoea may be the culprit in some cases and it can also be linked to a foul taste in mouth.
Here's a recent trial in the US
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03408613
I have a blocked nose and inflamed sinuses for ages and so it's likely that I have sleep apnoea.
Could that explain your issues, Peroxibladder?

Conolly X

Dierdre

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »

A metallic taste in the mouth is usually caused by sinus problems.

Snoooze

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »

That's interesting as my daughter often snores and she also has sinus problems!

I also suffer with my sinuses but after cutting out sugar it vastly improved.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »

thank you everyone..yes I do have long term sinus problems as I have deviated septum so one nostril is virtually blocked but I know when I have sinusitis as I have a lot of other symptoms too..I usually use my sinus flush for 7 days and it goes but it's made no difference.
as for it being stress based yes I'm very stressed with anxiety attacks and this last month has been just awful lots going on not any of it good...so maybe it could be that..but I've never had the nasty taste with bad anxiety before...I am.not diabetic but apparently pre diabetic but that was an awful time when I had the tests done so if stress raises glucose that figures..my mum is type 1 so it's always a threat..
I'm off for a scan tomorrow rushed through for another ruptured cyst they think..my last was 4 months ago..either that or appendix..yet I can't get into see my doctor til another week and that's when they think it could be appendicitis...unreal...if it keeps me awake in agony again tonight I'm taking myself to a and e sod it...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »

Go straight to A&E!   If you have a niggling appendix it may be on the point of bursting!!!  mine grumbled for years then took 18 hours to come to a 'head' when I was rushed into Theatre because my temp. went up.  The taste may be telling you something?
Pages: [1] 2