Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New to Femostan  (Read 955 times)

Clare2710

New to Femostan
« on: September 11, 2018, 12:05:31 PM »

Hi, I am 44 and last week I was prescribed Femostan 1/10. 

I have always been paranoid about my hair as it's never been my shining glory, and am concerned with a lot of negative reviews I have see on the web so, joined menopausalmatters in the hope I can get some clarification regarding whether it is good or bad for hair growth (as my doctor said it would be good).

I am on leythroxine for an under active thyroid and also taking a multivitamin for hair growth (I spread the tablets out throughout the day) and yet my hair has been simply crap since last week!!

Also, having had a period late August, what should arrive 6 days into taking the White Femostan tablets yep, you guessed it another period!!

I know it's early days, and I haven't experienced any hair loss yet, but I thought I would feel better/less tired etc but really don't feel any better at all at the moment and have this constant worry I'm causing my already strained hair more issues (which will bite me in the backside in a few weeks)!!

Having read such negative reviews on the web, I am worried about taking the grey pills nest week so, I would welcome any advice from people as there does not seem to be any support other than here, I have found.

Thank you in advance xx

Hurdity

Re: New to Femostan
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »

Hi Clare2710

:welcomemm:

I'm not an expert in hair - but other members have experienced hair problems and tried different things so hopefully might see this - but if not then do another post especially about hair in the All Things Menopause board?

Anyhow - Femoston has one of the better tolerated progestogens (dydrogesterone) as it is very close to your own progesterone and so has the least androgenic side effects like hair loss - if you look here they are all listed:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Progestogens which can be used cyclically are of 3 main types:

Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
    Less testosterone related - Medroxyprogesterone acetate(MPA).
    Least testosterone related - Dydrogesterone and Micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

Side effects are often experienced during the progestogen phase of treatment and can be reduced by using a product containing a different type or route of progestogen.

Depending on how regular your periods are then unfortunately in peri-menopause your cycle can override the HRT giving bleeds at odd times. Hopefully eventually it will settle down so that your bleed comes towards the end of the Femoston combi pills or just after changing back to the oestrogen only ones in the new pack.

If you have an underactive thyroid - then oral oestrogen especially I think can sometimes affect your thyroid levels so be sure to ask for a regular review of your thyroid levels over the next few months - not sure how often but I would have thought at least 6 monthly - again there are other members who know more about this. It might be that your thyroid meds will need some adjustment after you have been on the HRT for a while - and I know hair is affected by thyroid function.

Also eventually if you need a higher dose Femoston comes as 2/10 which is good - if it suits you.

Try not to anticipate any negative effects of the pills and concentrate on the fact that you are replacing a valuable hormone as you are presumably going through menopause at quite a young age so this (ie HRT) is beneficial overall for your general health.

Good luck and hope it works out for you - keep posting with updates or start a new thread on a specific topic if you don't get answers :)

Hurdity x

Clare2710

Re: New to Femostan
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »

Thank you so much Hurdity
 :)