Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Spending on Health Care  (Read 5267 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Spending on Health Care
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 08:53:50 AM »

When we lived abroad we were not admitted to hospital until we could either pay or prove we had insurance cover. We also in every country we lived in had I.d cards which we carried and were shown before treatment. Until this is mandatory here the NHS do not have the wherewithal to do the same so unpaid bills will continue to stack up. If we are drivers we already carry a licence with all our info on so I don't really see why a lot of people are against I.d cards

Nor me!  I would happily carry an ID card.  In a lot of countries they are compulsory.  They would actually make like easier and stop people conning thr NHS.

I am taking my Mum to hospital and the security checks are laughable. We will just be asked on a computer screen whether we are UK residents and whether we have lived in this country fornthe last 6 months. 

I know someone who moved to Spain over a year ago. Sold house here and bought out there. They have never told their GP that they have left the country so every few months their adult daughter who still lives here goes and collects his very expensive heart medication from our GP.  I understand this is a common ruse that people use to get free medication even though they have left the country.

The whole system needs a thorough shake up and we would make some major savings.

Kathleen

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 09:19:01 AM »

Hello ladies.

I can't believe that health tourism is a massive problem when only 0.01 per cent of NHS funding is spent on treating people who don't pay UK taxes.  Plus if a visitor became ill or had an accident their health care costs would be recoverable from their home country and infact the NHS employs people to do just that.

What will happen after Brexit is a worry though. Will it be more difficult to recover costs from European countries and what about us if we fall ill abroad?  That little health insurance card we take on holiday may not count for much.  My other concern is how we'll cope without the staff from overseas, there are already huge shortages  of nurses and doctors so we clearly have insufficient British people to fill the vacancies, what happens if all the foreigners decide to leave ?  My friend the retired GP talks about this a lot and she has a doctor son and a nurse daughter. When I saw her the other day she told me that staff shortages are so bad at a London hospital that her daughter plans to either leave the profession or go and work in Australia!

Sorry to be so negative ladies but as we know health care is vital to us all and I hate to see our precious system fall apart.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Shadyglade

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »

Really can't agree about ID cards.  As far as I am concerned  as a citizen the 'State' belongs to me, I do not belong to the state. 

I don't trust any government, not even our own, not to missuse them.  There is too much 'BIG BROTHER' as it is.

Rant over. ::)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:26:57 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 10:51:07 PM »

You have a National Insurance Number once you begin work.  That should be ID enough along with the driving licence though I haven't set eyes on either for years  ::).

I haven't trusted a UK Government since B4 I was born  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 11:40:58 PM »

Re driving licence CLKD  It's an offence not to know where it is. Only know this because mine was handed in at a police station as I'd dropped it and I got a right telling off when they phoned me and asked me where it was and I hadn't noticed it was missing!!

Taz x

Shadyglade

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2018, 06:53:01 AM »

I don't think it's an offence Taz. You have to inform them if it is stolen but I can't imagine you could end up in court because you temporarily mislaid it. Just the police flexing their muscles, I think.

Don't trust them either.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »

Hello ladies.

I can't believe that health tourism is a massive problem when only 0.01 per cent of NHS funding is spent on treating people who don't pay UK taxes.  Plus if a visitor became ill or had an accident their health care costs would be recoverable from their home country and infact the NHS employs people to do just that.

What will happen after Brexit is a worry though. Will it be more difficult to recover costs from European countries and what about us if we fall ill abroad?  That little health insurance card we take on holiday may not count for much.  My other concern is how we'll cope without the staff from overseas, there are already huge shortages  of nurses and doctors so we clearly have insufficient British people to fill the vacancies, what happens if all the foreigners decide to leave ?  My friend the retired GP talks about this a lot and she has a doctor son and a nurse daughter. When I saw her the other day she told me that staff shortages are so bad at a London hospital that her daughter plans to either leave the profession or go and work in Australia!

Sorry to be so negative ladies but as we know health care is vital to us all and I hate to see our precious system fall apart.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

So Kathleen, you dont think £2 billion a year is a massive problem?  There have been countless reports and TV progs about this and it IS a massive problem.

I watched a prog last year where they highlighted cases where people had come to this country knowing full well they were very ill, then went to hospitals here and received free treatment. There was a man from Egypt who got heart surgery and his daughter was on camera saying they would pay the bill and the update at the end said they never did.  That was about £250,000.  There was a woman from the Phillipines  who did likewise and never paid a penny and then there was the Nigerian woman who came here heavily pregnant with quads and that was a similar amount. Her husband in Nigeria was wealthy and they never paid a penny either. 

It just annoys me that we are such a soft touch.  You just would NOT get treated in any other country without paying or having full insurance to cover it.  My friends Mum went to Canada on holiday and within days had gallstone problems.  At the hospital they refused to do anything unless she provided evidence of her insurance. The daughter in England had to email them through and only then would they operate.

Cazikins

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »

And then there are the people who don't turn up for appointments  >:( >:(

And we wonder why we can't get an appointment to see our GP.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »

I could write a book about that one Cazikins  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »

I don't think it's an offence Taz. You have to inform them if it is stolen but I can't imagine you could end up in court because you temporarily mislaid it. Just the police flexing their muscles, I think.

Don't trust them either.

Offence was probably the wrong word but their point was that I didn't know I'd lost it and they'd had it for a week. You have to report it as soon as it's stolen and if you don't know whether you've got it or not then you also wouldn't know it was stolen.

Now...where did I put it... ;D

Taz x 😊

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2018, 04:49:39 PM »

I haven't seen my paper driving licence since B4 2006 ......... it isn't where it ought to be.   :-\

Shadyglade

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »

Paper drivers licences are no longer valid CLKD. They were done away with a few years ago.

And I don't even drive  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »

Paper ones are valid. I've got one but you can't have a new paper one. If you lose it, change your address or reach 70 then you have to have a photo one.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2018, 07:59:10 PM »

They are valid and legal.  Taz is quite correct.  When we were applying for Power of Attorney this year someone in the Bank told us that the paper licences wasn't legal.  I asked her to show me the UK Law which states this.  Then I asked to see her Manager.  I am waiting for my 70th birthday  ;)

Shadyglade

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »

Valid and legal if you don't have a photo one that is.

Goodness how have you gone all these years without needing a new one?
Pages: 1 2 [3]