Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Spending on Health Care  (Read 5264 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Spending on Health Care
« on: September 09, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »

Whilst we have the NHS many of us choose to pay for health care either because there is access to Company Schemes; to obtain peace of mind; or because local services don't give what we require.  Private care enables many to opt for dates that fit in with work etc..

I started this thread because someone posted that she was worried about her husband's reaction ....... Mithiehope: "But currently not in a job so don't know if I can afford it or if my husband will go mad when he finds out how expensive it is. . ..... "

It got me wondering what is considered expensive and whether people assume that private care is going to cost 'too much'?  Personally I have had treatment both via Company Health Schemes and the NHS.

NHS has served me generally well.  When my appendix was removed in the 1990s the Staff couldn't have been nicer.  I had a Nurse 'for the day' who introduced herself and was at my beck and call until she went off duty.  Another Night Nurse took over care. 

What I didn't realise when I had private treatment 4 breast disease [1990s] was that there was less emergency cover than in the NHS.  I paid for what I was given: Consultant time, Anaesthetist and the medication applied, Staff Nurse, removal of stitches, pain relief, dressings, food, liquids.  It was never explained that had I required another speciality I would have been whisked off to the local NHS Hospital  ::) as there was no emergency cover. 

I also had private and NHS psychiatric therapies in hourly sessions.  That was in the 1990s and an hourly private consult cost £70.00.  Trouble was, I didn't get a full 60 mins.!  Initially the therapist was on time but as the weeks went by she got later and later ........ but still charged the Insurance Company 60 mins..  I got pretty annoyed at that!  I wanted and expected my full quota.

So when asking the questions about private costs, it is worth jotting down a list.  Initial Consultant charge and how long the appt. is expected to last; does this cover the Consult time or is there an added charge for the use of a room.  Secretarial charges?  If hospital admission is required, what is charged for.  Orthopaedics for example will charge privately for any physio., blood tests, pain relief, ABs ......... everything we get on the NHS that we take for granted.

I got to wondering the early hours (awake again at 2.30 a.m.) whether people in general would give up their annual holiday abroad in order to get private medical treatment?  i.e. make that choice to become well rather than pay £Ks for holidays.  I have never paid more than £500.00 self catering for 2 of us and refuse to pay more than £150.00 B&B per Hotel room in the UK.  We don't have holidays off the Island.  We also have a camper which costs to run: insurance, MOT, annual habitation check, two camping Club yearly subscriptions: as well as about £22.00 per night to camp - any more and we might as well go into B&B! 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:21:50 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

Re: Spending on Health Care
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »

£500 for a self catering holiday sounds very good but I take it that's not in school holidays?  ;D

I'm currently paying £45 a week for GP recommended physio as the waiting time here is 14 weeks for NHS physio. It's all becoming very worrying!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »

Is that every day Taz2?  Do you get homework  ???

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »

It's £45 for a 30 minute session once a week. Yes I do have homework in the form of daily exercises

Taz 😁

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:21:28 PM »

Do you remember to do the exercises?  Is the therapy helping?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »

Yes I do the exercises. You don't spend £180 a month and not do as suggested!

It's beginning to get easier. Situation wss not helped due to only having a phone consultation with GP as no appointments for five weeks and being misdiagnosed! Sometimes you do need to be seen I feel and not just listened to over the phone.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »

Yep.  Adds to my argument that B4 any treatment, X-rays should be taken.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »

X-rays wouldn't have shown anything but a physical examination would.

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 09:40:08 PM »

The only thing I have paid for is seeing a chiropractor when I had a very painful knee two years ago. as it turned out it was a waste of money. Oh I also paid for several acupuncture sessions.

I am a firm believer in our NHS system and have always received great treatment as has my Mum so I would be very reluctant indeed to pay privately as I have paid my National Insurance all my working life. 

I have friends who have had tattooed eyebrows (microblading) at between £200 locally to £400 in London area.  I know thats absolutely nothing to do with the NHS - I'm just pointing out that some people will pay huge amounts for beauty treatments.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »

I was reluctant to pay privately too and I've always been a real believer and supporter of the NHS but it's just unfeasible to have to wait 14 weeks for physio especially when it's to correct a problem which has been made worse due to the unavailability of a GP appointment for 5 weeks. The system is definitely creaking..a bit like me 😁

Taz x  :D

JaneinPen

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »

I have reluctantly gone the private physio route for my back. It cost £48.00 for the initial assessment of one and a quarter hours which included a history going right back and a thorough examination of how my body could move etc. The weekly physio sessions are £44.00 and are for 45 minutes. I also have exercises to do at home. It is too early for an appraisal but I am hopeful. She comes highly recommended so fingers crossed.

The doctor was aware of how I was as I had to go to bed for three weeks due to awful spasms that were so bad I could not sit down and I needed medication.  I was not offered a home visit. This happened in mid March. I also had a fortnightly phone call with the surgery physio who at no stage offered actual physio once I was more mobile but recommended the hospital which like the previous post was going to be weeks.  I did tell the physio what I was going to do and still was not offered actual physio.  I wonder why she is actually there

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »

Our NHS is stretched to the limits with the massive increase in the population from people moving  here from other countries and people living a lot longer.  I am old enough to remember going into hospital and having to argue to go home after your op or having a baby .... now they want you out as soon as you can sit up and open your eyes.

We also have health tourists to contend with and people getting ops like sex changes, cosmetic surgery and IVF on the NHS. 

Some  people won't agree with me but I firmly believe that this country should look after its own people  first who have paid their tax and NI.  We couldnt go to any other country and get free operations or care.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »

That's another thread completely .... probably on here somewhere already  ::)

I have spent several thousand £ on dental treatment in the last 8 years.  I was afraid of going to the dentist but eventually I found one who I absolutely love.  He has done a Psychology Degree too  ;).   

Similar to brisk exercise for bones, apparently the jaw bone needs activity in order to remain healthy.  So talking, breathing but particularly chewing helps to keep this area working properly.  As teeth are lost, the gums will recede naturally but this encourages the loosening of the neighbouring teeth.  The jaw bone many become infected which causes other problems.

So I opted for implants.   :o.  I had to have a couple of teeth removed first to be replaced.  Both had a long history of treatment.  Once the teeth were removed [one as the LA wore off  :o  :-X ] a bone density test was done and it was decided that my over-all bone health is good.  The procedure took several months and I paid as we went along.  My Dentist did a specific Implant Course so is now Qualified to do implants.  DH opted for 2 once he saw how good my mouth has been.  Very little pain.  Better at this time of Life than a plate as when the gums recede, the plate doesn't fit as well.

We don't smoke and I don't touch alcohol, we have UK holidays so had money saved to spend on health care. 

>wave Hardwick< ......... little steps.  PF - our NHS is stretched but we can't blame it all on immigration.  If people are working and paying taxes or if their Government pays towards their Health Care, I don't see a problem.  The NHS was never designed 4 nor could it have been foreseen how technology would move on.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 03:34:53 PM »

That's another thread completely .... probably on here somewhere already  ::)

I have spent several thousand £ on dental treatment in the last 8 years.  I was afraid of going to the dentist but eventually I found one who I absolutely love.  He has done a Psychology Degree too  ;).   

Similar to brisk exercise for bones, apparently the jaw bone needs activity in order to remain healthy.  So talking, breathing but particularly chewing helps to keep this area working properly.  As teeth are lost, the gums will recede naturally but this encourages the loosening of the neighbouring teeth.  The jaw bone many become infected which causes other problems.

So I opted for implants.   :o.  I had to have a couple of teeth removed first to be replaced.  Both had a long history of treatment.  Once the teeth were removed [one as the LA wore off  :o  :-X ] a bone density test was done and it was decided that my over-all bone health is good.  The procedure took several months and I paid as we went along.  My Dentist did a specific Implant Course so is now Qualified to do implants.  DH opted for 2 once he saw how good my mouth has been.  Very little pain.  Better at this time of Life than a plate as when the gums recede, the plate doesn't fit as well.

We don't smoke and I don't touch alcohol, we have UK holidays so had money saved to spend on health care. 

>wave Hardwick< ......... little steps.  PF - our NHS is stretched but we can't blame it all on immigration.  If people are working and paying taxes or if their Government pays towards their Health Care, I don't see a problem.  The NHS was never designed 4 nor could it have been foreseen how technology would move on.

With respect I havent blamed it all on immigration. I have also said its down to people living a lot longer.  Health tourists cost us billions and dont pay a penny. They come here “on holiday” knowing full well that they are very ill or heavily pregnant and know that they will receive free treament here. They are filling beds and using resources which should be spent on people who live here.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »

What is a health tourist?

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3