Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Premature ovarian failure and kilogest HRT  (Read 768 times)

Runanddance

Premature ovarian failure and kilogest HRT
« on: September 06, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »

Hi, I'm desperate for some advice and just to talk to people who have experienced menopause. So here's my story....
I recently got diagnosed with P.O.F. I had my last period early Dec and have had consistent FSH levels between 180 and 200+. In May a nurse rang me and said "you are post menopausal so that's that for you then". I was a bit shocked. She said she didn't understand why I was surprised so I reminded her I was not yet 40, my periods had been regular and normal up to Christmas and I'd not so much as had a luke warm flush! Her reply was well it happens sometimes. She said I didn't need to think about things like hrt or calcium supplements for another 10-15 years. I hung up the phone with my head reeling. I had no-one to discuss this with. My mum is gone and non of my girlfriend's or sister are even peri yet. I felt I had been cut adrift but I was still symptomless bar no periods.
At a friend's encouragement I paid to see a private gynae (who was wonderfully kind and understanding). She confirmed the diagnosis and unfortunately oesteopenia.  She strongly recommended HRT and calcium. So I started HRT. Femoston 1mg first. This did not go well due to my body been devoid of oestrogen for so long. After 3 days I was told to stop as i was not tolerating it. I took a break for 2 weeks (and felt GREAT). On Monday I started kilogest. Day 1/2 not a bother but wed morning I woke and felt like I'd been run over by a truck with raging PMT. I was so bloated I looked pregnant (the irony huh!!!). None of my clothes fit. I felt snappy, antisocial and agitated. No sleep Wednesday night. Much the same today. 
Please please can people share their experience on continuous HRT. Will this settle. Does the fluid retention go away. What else can I expect? Does HRT have any day to day positive effects.,? I'm so desperate to speak with people who have life experience of this. Up until starting HRT I was loving menopause. An end to horrific monthly cramps (endometriosis) and the roller coaster of hormones and sometimes unbearable PMT. I want that feeling back.
I hope my first post isn't too long and boring.
Thanks for reading (if you got this far) and hopefully sharing your experiences with me.  ::)

Dancinggirl

Re: Premature ovarian failure and kilogest HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »

Hi and welcome to mm

I had POF but started HRT before I went post menopause.
It can be tough starting hrt and you may need to tolerate some side effects at first and allow the body to adjust and settle.
My suggestion would be to start with a sequential hrt regime so you are not using progesterone all the time as I suspect it is the progesterone that is giving you these extreme side effects.
If you suffered with endometriosis then you should perhaps consider having a Mirena as this would mean less systemic absorption ( so fewer side effects) and then have oestrogen as gel or patch alongside this.
In the mean time perhaps discuss with your doctor about trying a sequential hrt regime of Oestrogel or oestrogen patches with progesterone ( either Utrogestan or Provera) for just 12 days each month. This will give a monthly bleed but it will help get your body used to the hormones again.
Look under TREATMENTS to see your options.
I found the Mirena with Oestrogel was the best hrt regime I ever had and I tried just about every hrt there is to try - I used hrt for nearly 25 years.
Keep posting - we are here to support you. DG x

Runanddance

Re: Premature ovarian failure and kilogest HRT
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 06:17:05 AM »

Thanks for your reply. It all seemed to happen so quick I didn't even know what questions to ask my doctor.
I know we are lucky to have so many hrt options but at first I just found it stressful as I didn't understand any of them.
Just reading your reply made me feel calmer knowing it's all normal. Thank you xx. I was ready to just stop taking the hrt but will persevere.  So glad I found this forum. I guess I will just have to do my research and be the fountain of knowledge for my friends. 😉😘