Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Organism Found At Smear Test  (Read 1662 times)

Infinity9

Organism Found At Smear Test
« on: August 23, 2018, 03:34:18 PM »

I had a smear test about 2 months ago and thankfully it came back clear. The hospital sent me a letter to let me know. But today, I received a letter from our Doctors Surgery that told me the same but the letter had something added to it.

Apparently 7% of women who have a smear test, who have a coil fitted, (I've had a Mirena Coil since 2012), can have 'Actinomyces-like organisms' that show on separate tests done at the same time. I have these organisms and they don't need any intervention unless you have any 'Pelvic pain, Deep pain during intercourse, Increase in bleeding or mid period bleeding, Vaginal discharge or pain on urinating'.

I've had mid spotting/bleeding and possibly some pelvic pain and it's terrified me to be honest. It isn't the same as menstrual blood, it's lighter in colour and is different on the tissue, if that makes sense. Fingers crossed, the organisms are what are causing the bleeding. I'm booking an appointment at our Well Woman Clinic to chat about this and to see if they can remove the coil and possibly put another in place. The doctors want me to do this before trying any HRT anyway so maybe doing it now is a good thing in case I want to try the HRT in future. I just hope this is the cause of the bleeding and that it can be sorted.

I've put it here for anyone who may be the same. It's interesting to know things like this xx.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:40:23 PM by Infinity9 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Organism Found At Smear Test
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »

Pink?   If blood is black then there might be a worry.  Bright red or pink is 'within normal limits' ........ I also had brown tissues smears towards the end of my periods. 

Did you worry about aches and pains prior to these results?  Pain on intercourse could of course be vaginal atrophy  ::)

Make a list of your worries to take to the Well Woman Clinic.

Infinity9

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »

It's very weird CLKD to be honest. At the moment my Vaginal Atrophy is playing up big time and I don't know whether I'm coming or going. A friend's friend bled because of this but I've never been told this could happen and I daren't Google because of the frightening things that come up when  I do.

I'll wipe myself at the toilet and there'll sometimes be a smidge of bright pink blood and then nothing for a day or even longer but this increases when I'm having a period and calms down again over the next few weeks. I'm sore, feel like I'm sunburnt and it itches like mad, then it will go off and come back on again. I joke about feeling like someone's used a cheese grater on me because boy does it feel like that when it's flared up.

When I received the results from the Hospital I was relieved and then the letter from the doctors the other day, had me curious. I said to my hubby that if I went to the doctor every time something was different, I'd be living there but I do need to chat about this. My appointment is for the 5th of September and it's a triple appointment in case she needs to remove the coil and reinsert a new one. I would have thought though that if there are organisms there, they'd need to make sure they're gone before a new one is put in place.

Fingers crossed all is well. Thank you so much for your post. It has helped actually xx.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »

The Mirena should be changed every 4-5 years anyway so you are overdue for a new one. I'm sure things are fine and the Merina with separate oestegn as gel or patch  can be a really easy hrt regime option.
I suspect the discharge/slight bleed is more to do with the progesterone in the Mirena running out.
Keep us posted. DGx

Infinity9

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »

I was surprised when the doctor told me a few months ago that now, unless the Mirena is being changed to work with HRT, for example, they're letting women keep the coil in place for 10 years. I thought 7 was long enough but now it's even longer.

I go on the 5th so I'll let you know what happens and whether I finally agree to trying the HRT too. The bleeding has stopped now but if I have a period it starts again so I'll have a chat and see how it goes.

Thanks Dancinggirl xx.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 10:58:59 PM »

I understand that the Mirena coil stops producing after 4/5 years  :-\

Infinity9

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

That's what I thought too. I've been this morning and it will be changed as I still need contraception so I'm very confused. Why keep it in for 10 years because surely there are many women still sexually active who use it and who are in the Perimenopause?

I'm 52 so there's a slight possibility of pregnancy and because it hasn't gone over 7 days since the last time I had sex, I have to wait to have it removed. I can't have sex 7 days before the new one is put in so my knowledge on the Mirena Coil has now been changed.