Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Best place to live in the UK  (Read 6165 times)

shrosphirelass

Re: Best place to live in the UK
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 08:03:14 PM »

Shropshire has many areas of beautiful countryside. It has relatively little traffic and you can access the West Midlands via the M54. Birmingham is within an hours drive or train ride.

Ironbridge (with it's world famous Ironbridge and being the heart of the Industrial Revolution and is very attractive) has tourists all year round Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth are popular too.

Ironbridge is quiet, but Shrewsbury is the County town.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 08:04:53 PM »

Ironbridge is pricey though, we had a lovely long weekend there in around 2006.  Where wouldn't you want to live?

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 08:59:54 PM »

Glastonbury is nice if you like peace and quiet, Liverpool is great if you like busy.   Depends on what you want.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 03:26:21 PM »

Ironbridge is pricey though, we had a lovely long weekend there in around 2006.  Where wouldn't you want to live?

House prices are fairly low anywhere in Shropshire. particularly Telford though Ironbridge is probably a bit more expensive as it's  very attractive and a tourist trap

Roseneath

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions ladies. Shrewsbury is on the list but I hadn't thought of the Iron Bridge area.  Yes I agree Ross on Wye looks lovely. We just need to get rid of this place first! Spent hours making the place tidy for a viewing today. Waste of time...they want a place to turn into a doggie hotel and also had a dozen dogs of their own. You would need a place with a good bit of land. Back to the drawing board.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »

Oh, bad luck Roseneath.
Better luck next time, im sure someone will come along soon.
Are you out in the sticks? You're in Scotland aren't you?
We went to Drumnadroit? Don't know if that's right spelling, we stayed in someone's
lodge for a long weekend, Inverness, it was beautiful, and that was November time.
Bloody cold, but lovely, my OH, would love to move up there, but I worry that when one of us ends up on our own, it'll be horrible being so far away from our sons.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 07:09:13 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions ladies. Shrewsbury is on the list but I hadn't thought of the Iron Bridge area.  Yes I agree Ross on Wye looks lovely. We just need to get rid of this place first! Spent hours making the place tidy for a viewing today. Waste of time...they want a place to turn into a doggie hotel and also had a dozen dogs of their own. You would need a place with a good bit of land. Back to the drawing board.

Fingers crossed you'll get some serious potential buyers soon

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »

Is that what they told you?  In which case your Estate Agent is wasting your time.  Most people look on 'right move' etc. and get an idea of what is on offer and if they wanted land that you don't own ......... [we are thinking of changing the Agent we are using; long story short]

Ironbridge is costly.  I've looked  :D.  We stayed in a lovely Georgian house with a huge wisteria across the front, cat would see me at the bedroom window, leave her cushion in the conservatory and climb the wisteria into our room  :catscratch:  :-*

Shadyglade

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »

House prices are all relative according to where you are moving from.  For us Ironbridge looks very reasonably priced.

Suffolk and Wiltshire are on our list.  Both have cheaper prices than our area.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »

I'm selling a property in the Fens  ;D - needs dragging into the 21st century but ready to live in  ;)

I actually like visiting there as we haven't much furniture etc. .............. 'dressed' to sell.  It isn't a place that I would return to willingly!

Roseneath

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »

We have learnt. Places that are nice to go on holiday may be very different if you live there. Also what suits when you have no kids/young kids may not when you have bigger kids. I have always lived places where houses sell in weeks if not months so this came as a bit of a jolt. It's a lovely house, great business and on at slightly under what three state agency recommended. We have been living on hold for three years. It is mentally draining!

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 01:13:35 PM »

Of course it is draining.  Must it be sold as a going concern?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »

I'm selling a property in the Fens  ;D - needs dragging into the 21st century but ready to live in  ;)

I actually like visiting there as we haven't much furniture etc. .............. 'dressed' to sell.  It isn't a place that I would return to willingly!

I could never live on the Fens.  We have friends who live near Bourne and I dont get good vibes when I go there.  It is SO flat where they live and you can see for miles across hedgeless, treeless fields. 

I also dont like the hamlets or few houses that are built alongside roads in a single row.  They just seem creepy to me. 

Jemp

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »

North Norfolk within distance of Norwich- some good rural trains; Northumberland - border towns are lovely; Lake District- Penrith or Keswick, North Yorkshire- lots of lovely market towns.  Very friendly people in all of these places. Be careful of villages- can be great but can be very insular or full of retired folk or commuters. Mixed communities better.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »

Nowt wrong with us retired folks  :rofl:

The Fens - [high 6 anyone ;-) ] - we would never go back, once Mum's house is sold we will be out of there!  I never feel clean  :-\. It's vast.  As is Yorkshire, too wide for me to feel comfortable.  I could live in Durham.  Bath.  Chester.  But I am a country girl really.  Right now if the removal van turned up, it would be Durham City  ::)

Thinking of transport in future as well as dental, Vets and GP services.  We didn't move to Skye 15 years ago because it was 75 miles to the nearest hospital and DH tends to be accident prone. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4