Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Best place to live in the UK  (Read 6166 times)

Roseneath

Best place to live in the UK
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »

We are desperate to move house, move towns. Living here is making my Peri more hellish than it should be.  We live in the sticks way North. Where is nice....and affordable...and north of say Shrewsbury but south of say Stirling. Ideas ladies?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Best place to live in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »

Northumberland?  We love it up there.  For holidays.  The reason we didn't move to Rothbury area is a) prices are out of our current range; b) too short a growing season; c) too windy for archery practice ;-).  Same with the Isle of Skye.  There was a property not far from Rothbury that I fancied, it eventually came onto the market at over £700,00.  Sadly, too expensive for us.

One has to cost in the fees: selling, buying, the physical moving i.e. hiring a company to take stuff from A - B.  Medical records can take months to transfer apparently  ::)

What are you hobbies?  We like: gardening, walking, bird watching, reading, outdoor sports, sitting by the beach ......... so make a list of what you would like to do if you move.

We don't move because we have a Very Good GP and a Lovely Dentist with supportive Staff.  Really.  It is one of our reasons.  So maybe have a look-see at the Clinics etc. in the areas you would like to live in.  How close are shops, hospitals, dental surgeries, Vet Practices? 

Many years ago I suggested that we and he sell up, then rent a flat/cottage for 6 months in various areas across the UK.  But when push came to shove I couldn't [can't] leave our garden. 

Do you want to live in a tourist area where there is a buzz but pavements etc. will be crowded?  Do you want to live on a bus route so that you don't need to drive as much?  Do you have family who would want to visit?  Do you want family that you need to avoid  :D [we do].

Norfolk and Lincolnshire are quite good for house prices.  North of there properties get more expensive.  Obviously tourist areas and those over-looking the Coast will be more expensive.  Would you consider renting somewhere prior to buying? 

My first choice would be around Durham or back to mid-Wales.  Shrewsbury used to be nice but haven't been there for over 20 years  ::).  Welsh borders are nice but can feel remote when it snows! 

Casleton in Derbyshire
Durham
Rothbury
South Shields
Alnwick area
Craster for long walks
The Borders are nice: Hexham area along Hadrian's Wall but again, prices might be 'up'.  Lots of History to absorb.
Some people like Yorkshire but I find it too vast - Whitbuy and along the coast, busy but pretty.

The Fens are too flat.  North Norfolk coast is nice but busy and the roads are very narrow.  Again full of history. 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:49:48 PM »

Did U look see ......... half the fun is trawling 'right move' in the area you fancy living in ;-).  I also use 'rural scene'.  Some places have been on the market where we used to live for 5+ years  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »

It really depends on what you want to get away from where you are living at the moment? 

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »

I have been all over the UK and there is still nowhere I would rather live than Norfolk.

We have huge skies, beautiful quiet beaches, no motorways, we have a lovely coastline, we have loads of market towns with nice independent shops, we have heathland, woodland, the fabulous Norfolk Broads, we have the best birdwatching in the country, we are not densely populated and we are a very dry, warm county.  I can't bear places where all it does is rain.  We usually get the highest record in the country for sunshine too. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »

PF, having been on holiday to Norfolk for the first time this year I have to agree with that.  Absolutely beautiful!

Great!  Where did you stay?

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »

We used to live in Hexham (Northumberland), which was wonderful.  Cold winters though and cool summer evenings.

I fancy Bury St Edmunds.  We have a long list of favour places and are planning to move next year.  Where we will end up is anyone's guess.

Roseneath

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »

I really appreciate your input ladies. I always think it is connections you make that give a spark of ideas for live changes. We didn't appreciate when we moved ' north' that it is very hard to move back again without a dramatic decline in quality of life property wise (especially as we now have two kids so need more rooms!). We were dazzled by the size of house we could get for our ' four bed terrace in the city' . We have worked out we would have more money staying in the house in the south and not working than all the dozen years we have worked here! Current hit list is: Kendal, Buxton, Peebles,  Matlock Bath, Shrewsbury, Pitlochry . Although I am beginning to think it will never happen. Three years this December and 35 viewings later!

littleminnie

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »

I think Dorset is one of the nicest Counties we've visited.

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »

Love Dorset but soo expensive.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 11:30:44 PM »

I'd give the Matlock area a huge miss.  No character and loads of tourists, we went 10 months ago and were disappointed.  Now Castleton  ;) over-looking Mam Tor.  Shropshire is lovely too.  Do you want a garden, a view, to be close to shops ........... check the GP surgeries etc..

Holt in Norfolk.  Wells next to Sea. Norwich ........ high Norfolk is lovely on a fine day  ;)

That's why we don't move: close to the M1/M40/M5 and have a good GP and wonderful Dentist  :-*

Many++ years ago I did suggest that we sold up and bought a small flat 2 come home to, with a view to renting somewhere for 6 months so that we could enjoy more of the specific areas that we have been to ........ but I would miss my garden too much  :'(
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:32:57 PM by CLKD »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »

PF, having been on holiday to Norfolk for the first time this year I have to agree with that.  Absolutely beautiful!

Great!  Where did you stay?
we stayed near Foulsham.

Very rural around there isn't it?  We are closer to the coast.

Roseneath

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »

We need somewhere that is busy with tourists for a good 6+ months a year...we like living near / in countryside but at the moment are a good 3 hours away from a decent (>50,000) sized town.  It has been great when the kids were little but now nearing teens we fear they will miss out on a lot of opportunities (they are still scared of escalators and lifts as there are none in the town, there aren't the choice of clubs/sports facilities etc). If we lived an hour from a city we could at least do a day trip there.  I have been a bit of a nomad my whole life living in 5 places before here but feel the need for roots for the kids sake now.

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 03:56:14 PM »

Cardiff is pretty nice, I live close and want to move there once.  I have since changed my mind because all my family are from there and they've all now passed away so for me, emotionally, it's like one giant memorial park but it's a lovely city.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »

We didn't see many escalators.  We lived 7 miles from the nearest town.  1 bus every couple of hours.  We survived.   If we needed to go anywhere we had to cycle.

Do you plan to continue with your business Roseneath? 

Ross on Wye is nice.  Close to the Welsh Marches and Hay ........
Pages: [1] 2 3 4