Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Best place to live in the UK  (Read 6272 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Best place to live in the UK
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »

North Norfolk within distance of Norwich- some good rural trains; Northumberland - border towns are lovely; Lake District- Penrith or Keswick, North Yorkshire- lots of lovely market towns.  Very friendly people in all of these places. Be careful of villages- can be great but can be very insular or full of retired folk or commuters. Mixed communities better.

very true about some villages and I'd like to add cul de sacs.

My late MIL moved from Torquay to a cul de sac in a village where her daughter lived in Leicestershire. She said it would suit her down to the ground as she liked peace and quiet and no traffic. 

Turned out she hated it as it was too quiet.  She said she never saw a soul as most of the neighbours went to work and the only person who came up as far as her bungalow was the postman.

She used to come and stay with us and loved looking out onto the lane here as we get several people walking through to the church or cutting through to get to the shops and post office.  If she was outside here maybe helping me pull a few weeds up people would often stop and have a word with her.

Places can be too quiet.  a friend of mine has sold her house and is moving to another part of the country to be nearer two sisters.  She is a widow and has no children but has a very wide circle of friends here and is involved with lots of craft groups, art groups, church events etc.  I think she is making the wrong move myself but there.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 03:38:27 PM »

If she has skills that she can share, maybe she will be OK?  Church and crafting groups are a good way to integrate. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »

If she has skills that she can share, maybe she will be OK?  Church and crafting groups are a good way to integrate.

You may be right but all her friends she made when she was much younger and still working. She is a person who is not really outgoing and certainly wouldn't make the first step to strike up a conversation but once she feels comfortable she is OK and she is very knowledgeable and willing to help people.

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »

Will you be keeping in touch with her via social media?  Giving her a little  :poke2: :kick: of encouragement?

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »

Try this for ideas ;-)

Jeepers

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »

Friends of mine recently sold their house in Sussex, to move to a fabulous house in North Devon, overlooking the sea.  Absolutely stunnning.  But then the husbands health started to fail, and now they are many miles from the hospital.  Something to bear in mind as you get older, sadly

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »

People want places to visit after lockdown ........

I would never live near any of my relations.
We were going to buy on the Isle of Skye 40 years ago: then we looked at the distance to hospitals  :o.  Also it's a short growing season and not much stays in the ground with all the wind ..... but I yearn for a view  :-\

We have a good Dentist, can get GP appts. within a few days, are central to all travelling that we would like to do.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:48:37 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »

Friends of mine recently sold their house in Sussex, to move to a fabulous house in North Devon, overlooking the sea.  Absolutely stunnning.  But then the husbands health started to fail, and now they are many miles from the hospital.  Something to bear in mind as you get older, sadly

Jeepers xx

This is why we failed to do what we'd always promised ourselves we would - we left it too late and suddenly age is a factor in deciding where we want to live. The hills of Ilfracombe didn't seem a steep ten years ago! That, and the thought of missing family of course. I hope that your friend will be ok. Have they made new friends there who can rally round, when we can all go out again that is!! I take it he will be treated in Barnstaple or maybe he needs a larger hospital - Exeter is the nearest.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2020, 07:31:41 PM »

I've moved around a bit and never had fixed friends. 

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »

That's a shame CLKD - I thought you'd been where you are now for quite some time.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2020, 08:15:57 AM »

Since 1983.  Until then I moved several times as a child apparently.  I remember nowt.  I was raised with my cousin until I was 3, then hauled away.  We moved on my 7th birthday leaving that school behind.  Because we lived in a hamlet with 3 bungalows and  a shop I had no friends to play with.  ......... then we moved again to an area where there were loads of kids but I was too shy to join in.  :-\.  HATED school. 

Married and fled to Wales  ;D then moved from there after 8 years to here. 

However: Dad took us on long holidays in the Summer, traveling around the countryside so I saw many places that DH and I have returned to, Plockton springs to mind  :-* and we discovered Northumberland much more recently  8)

Ju Ju

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2020, 01:08:09 PM »

Housing is so expensive here. We considered moving to another area in the uk, where we could buy a much bigger, nicer property than our small bungalow. We looked around and played with ideas then decided to stay put. Where else could we walk in any direction in an area we love, see family and friends regularly? And anyway having a small home means less housework and maintenance. it's not a pretty home, yet I've always felt safe and welcomed by the house here

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »

DH apparently doesn't want to move North 'cos of the rain, high winds and snow.   ::) but we can't afford to move South ....... I need a view.  But my birds would miss me  ;D

I don't want to leave it 'too late' though .........

Jeepers

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 05:11:30 PM »

Jeepers xx

This is why we failed to do what we'd always promised ourselves we would - we left it too late and suddenly age is a factor in deciding where we want to live. The hills of Ilfracombe didn't seem a steep ten years ago! That, and the thought of missing family of course. I hope that your friend will be ok. Have they made new friends there who can rally round, when we can all go out again that is!! I take it he will be treated in Barnstaple or maybe he needs a larger hospital - Exeter is the nearest.

Taz x

Thanks taz, he contracted Mrsa when he went in for a knee op, which led to lung infections. He's also had heart surgery, so they are shielding at the moment. I think they get everything delivered, so very much on their own, no chance to make new friends yet,

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »

MRSA - my Dad had that 3 times when he was poorly in Hospital but recovered each time.  That was in the early 2000s.  Shouldn't happen during surgical intervention though.  Did the knee recover movement?  Maybe they could look at their local Facebook etc. and reach out, making themselves known? 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4