Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 2001 - foot and mouth  (Read 1770 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
2001 - foot and mouth
« on: March 22, 2020, 07:34:32 PM »

The first case of the disease to be detected was at Cheale Meats abattoir in Little Warley, Essex on 19 February 2001 on pigs from Buckinghamshire and the Isle of Wight.  [It was also found by a skilled Vet in Northampton Markets].

Over the next four days, several more cases were announced in Essex. On 23 February, a case was confirmed in Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland, from where the pig in the first case had come; this farm was later confirmed as the source of the outbreak and the owner, Bobby Waugh of Pallion, was found guilty of having failed to inform the authorities of a notifiable disease and banned from keeping farm animals for 15 years. He was later found guilty of feeding his pigs "untreated waste". [2][3][4]

On 24 February, a case was announced in Highampton in Devon. Later in the week, North Wales was affected. By the beginning of March, the disease had spread to Cornwall, southern Scotland and the Lake District where it took a particularly strong hold.

.  The biggest problem was transportation of slaughtered animals in unsealed vehicles.  The spread could have been contained had carcasses not been moved by road.  I won't go into the mess on the roads  :'( but a lot of that debris ran into water courses etc.. 

Dorothy

Re: 2001 - foot and mouth
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 12:39:32 AM »

I've been thinking about those times recently - I lived in a very rural community and my best friends were all farmers.  I can still remember the fear, waking up each morning to see the soaring infection rate, driving up to farm gates with essential food supplies and driving away again, desperately hoping that I hadn't somehow transmitted the infection to those bags of food.  And when animals on one farm were slaughtered for having suspicious signs, that sick feeling as we waited to find out if they tested positive, which would mean all the surrounding farms had to be culled.  And the loneliness, cut off from everyone and everything I cared about.  And when it ended, hoping we would never go through something so bad again.

And now we are.  Only it's a million times worse.  Will we ever learn? 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »

Also the Government of the day handled this issue really badly .......

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 12:04:25 AM »

It was a total shambles.  And so much animal suffering.  They brought the army in to kill the animals because it was 'quicker' and those guys were just running round firing at random like they were in some kind of video game.  But it was real, and real animals died in agony, while those who could have ended their lives painlessly were forced to stand by.

Certainly doesn't look like the government has learned anything about how to deal with crises from that. 

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 05:03:11 PM »

You don't have to be very bright to work that if you have an infectious disease in a small  number of animals and do nothing about it you end up with everything getting it. Anyone with animals or children knows it. It happened with FMD then with bovine TB and now with coronavirus. It's infuriating and very sad that everyone knows it except the government. We were lucky we didn't get FMD, it was devastating for those that did.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:02:28 PM »

How do 3rd World countries cope though  :-\ surely they don't cull as we do?

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »

FMD isn't actually as bad as they make out, many animals recover. You're right they don't cull, the disease is endemic. It seems more to do with politics. We don't import fresh meat from anywhere that isn't FMD free, and there are countries we couldn't export to if we lost our FMD free status.

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 11:29:56 PM »

Yes, from a farmer's point of view, it's more that the animals lose condition terribly and take forever to recover - plus it is extremely contagious.  But as @sheila99 says, its mostly political.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »

sheila99 -  ;) tnx

CLKD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_foot-and-mouth_outbreak

They contained this one before it had spread too far.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:03:46 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 03:53:08 PM »

tnx for that.  I have spent many an hour during the week wondering whether I was aware at the time  :-\ ...... Dad died in 2006 so I was probably involved with sorting mother out  ;D ........ loosely that is.