Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Feel like I need to wee a lot  (Read 17021 times)

Blot

Feel like I need to wee a lot
« on: August 29, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »

Hi. Sorry this might be a long story.
I am currently having some issues with my bladder I think. Four weeks ago I had a tiny little leak on my way to the toilet, had left it too long I think, and I was mortified as I was not at home. This had happened a couple of times a few months previously but on those occasions I was out, having had drinks (quite a few) etc and was literally bursting, so I understood why that had happened.

So I immediately made an appointment with the doctor, for the following week, started frantic pelvic floor exercises, and from the very next day, I felt like I needed to wee all the time but no pain, stinging or any usual uti symptoms. Doc did a dip test and said I had an infection, which surprised me, issued antibiotics and asked me to come back for a pelvic exam in 2 weeks. She didn't send off sample for testing at lab. Finished meds, no difference and still felt like I needed to wee constantly so I dropped off another sample which she said was clear, again not sent for testing.

Since then, I've been back for my pelvic exam, all ok, had my urine tested again as it showed up nitrates, but that was sent to the lab and came back negative. So next step is an internal ultrasound.

I haven't a clue what's going on. I've had a couple of days when I've felt mostly fine, and other days when I've been desperate with this constant pressure. However, I do suffer from anxiety, and I'm thinking that I am bringing these sensations on as I'm thinking about it 24/7.

I am really hoping that they find something in the scan to explain all this as it's driving me mad. Could the pelvic floor exercises be making things worse? I darent stop doing them as I'm terrified of any accidents.

Anyway, I'm a mess and thanks for reading this long rant. Any experiences and advice would be appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feel like I need to wee a lot
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 03:29:41 PM »

Sadly. GPs still insist on a dip urine test which can not show infection unless it's the more modern, up to date test!  The way for your GP to prescribe anti-biotic therapy is to send a fresh urine sample to a Lab. to be grown so that if necessary, the correct  AB can be given.

They do relief symptoms though.  As does appropriate HRT - that is treatment for vaginal atrophy which is delivered into the vagina. Some ladies find that using Sylc and Yes products help too.  Maybe put those into the search box here and see what is suggested?

Pelvic floor exercises need to be done 'correctly' apparently I am sure someone will be along to give advice.

I replied on your other thread too ........

Blot

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 03:39:56 PM »

Thanks CLKD. I think our posts crossed.

Funny but the only sample the doc sent to the lab came back clear of infection, although the dip test indicated nitrates.

Not sure if I have vaginal atrophy. I don't have dryness. Would that necessarily be the case?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:48:33 PM by Blot »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »

Ask your Practice Nurse for an exam or simply ask for appropriate treatment.  The idea is to use the product every night for 2 weeks then 'as necessary' though the leaflet suggests every 4th and 6/7th night.  Vagifem was initially given in 25 but is no 10 so some ladies have to use every night and sometimes a double dose in order to keep symptoms at bay.

I find Ovestin suits me, similar product delivered differently. 

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »

Here is the info on Vaginal treatments and symptoms:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalresources.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Website about the bladder:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/bladdermatters.php

Dr Currie's blog:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/blogpost-vaginal-dryness.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/blogpost-lube-or-hormones.php

Just to clarify - the starting dose is as CLKD says - every night for a fortnight AT LEAST and the maintenance dose is twice a week thereafter MINIMUM, and NOT as necessary. The idea is you don't wait for symptoms to come back or when you feel you need it - you have to keep the (minimum) maintenance dose up for ever as it doesn't go away (ie vaginal atrophy). You can go higher but not recommended to go lower. However if you have no other vaginal problems (dryness, thinning tissues) it may well be just a bladder issue - but I'm not an expert on this - others are!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »

I personally find 'as necessary' works for me, after 5 years of regular VA treatment. I now recognise the symptoms and use it for 3/4 nights.  It really is Trial and Error. 

Have a read round.  Be aware that this condition may be continuous.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry, inside and out! 

Blot

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:06:26 PM »

Sparkle, my other post was just an introduction on the new members bit, nothing much on there other than that I had my last period 8 years ago and didn't really suffer badly with hot flushes.

My gp did do a pelvic exam and all looked ok but I have been referred for an internal ultrasound in case there is anything else going on there. I've stopped drinking tea and coffee, not that I drank much of that anyway, but the alcohol is going to be harder. I do like a glass of wine, too much tbh.

I will have a proper read of those links Hurdity. Thank you. However, the only symptom I've got is the pressure and feeling of needing to wee which is very uncomfortable. Nothing else really but I suppose this could be the start of VA. Never had a uti before in my life.

I can hold it and I'm not going every 5 minutes, although I feel like I could at times. It's odd, when I am distracted, the symptoms almost disappear and at other times the feeling is intense. Usually gets worse later in the day as well, when I'm at home and stressing about it maybe?  The more I think about it, the worse it is which has me thinking it's anxiety related. I am quite obsessed with this and think about it non stop but that's the problem I have in general. Another different topic!

When I get the scan results, and go back to gp, I will definitely discuss estrogen deficiency. I am desperate to find a reason for this, whatever that may be, so I can get this sorted out. Going to stop the pelvic floor exercises for now till I find out what's going on.

I'm very grateful for all your comments.

P.s forgot to mention gp also did a full blood test, including CA125, and it came back normal.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:10:45 PM by Blot »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »

Your GP is being thorough. 

We take on more liquid during the day so not surprising that you need to pee more often.  Don't stop drinking.  The kidneys work harder when empty!  I find that Nurofen can ease symptoms.

Conolly

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 08:36:49 PM »

Hello Blot,

I'm having similar issues. Have a look at this and see if it rings any bells.

https://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/womenshealth/interstitialcystitis.aspx

Blot

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 05:53:57 AM »

I'm really hoping its not IC Connolly. Seems like a nightmare but i always assume the worst.

Don't know if I can cope with this much longer. Its getting me down but being able to chat about it is helping. Can't do it in real life.

Would my gp prescribe the estrogen without being referred to a urogynae consultant? And am i too many years since my last period for this to be related to the menopsuse? My head is a mush which I'm sure is half the problem.

I tried taking some cystitis sachets yesterday to see if they might help but they didn't make any difference and I've ordered some d mannose supplements to try as well.

I have so many questions. Hope you can bear with me.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:13:13 AM by Blot »

Blot

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »

Thanks Sparkle. I'm certainly going to mention this when I see my gp after the scan. Don't want to tell her how to do her job though. Is this something you have investigated by a gynaecologist or urologist before being prescribed vagifem or similar?

Is it wise to stop the pelvic floor exercises until I am diagnosed? I'm terrified of leaking, which was what started this whole thing off. Not sure what to do.

Conolly

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »

Hello Blot,

I have just been diagnosed with a big kidney stone!
I don't think the pelvic floor exercises can do any harm.
Hope you find some answers and relief soon!

Conolly X

Conolly

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »

Hello sparkle,

Not yet, because it's inside the kidney. It's too big to go to the ureter so it has no symptoms!

Conolly X

Blot

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 10:02:29 AM »

How did they find a kidney stone Connolly if you have no symptoms? I hope you are ok and are getting it sorted.

Had a read of the links regarding VA. Could this really apply to me? I don't seem to have any of the symptoms apart from the bladder/uretha pressure? But i will bear this in mind if the scan shows nothing up. However, I think it will be wise to get other possible reasons investigated first but all this waiting around for tests does my nut in.

Please excuse me ladies, I'm just fed up and this is helping.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:17:49 AM by Blot »

Conolly

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »

Hello Blot,

I had a kidney US scan done after my blood tests results showed high calcium and high white blood cells levels in urine, but no UTI.
I agree with sparkle, not everything is down to menopause.
Better be safe than sorry 💕

Conolly X
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6