Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy waiting times?  (Read 1501 times)

Duncaf31

• First Flush
Hysterectomy waiting times?
« on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:45 AM »

:'( :'(Just been told at a gynae clinic that I need fairly urgent hysterectomy. Have had extremely heavy bleeding for the last year due to fibroids, not responsing much to drugs. I'm very unwell, nearly anaemic, and the drugs aren't stopping the bleeding. Was told at the gynae clinic within two months. Now have no promise before 8/9months. I'm distraught. I've had to come off HRT. I'm now only sleeping three hours a night and have severe anxiety - the reasons I went on it and it had worked!
I can't work, regularly have to stay at home, and yet, they think I can live with this for nearly a year more?

Is anyone else seeing these long waiting times in these situations?

I'm aghast, distressed and likely to spiral into depression which I had managed to hit out of court after starting HRT last year. We treat animals better. But I suppose it's essentially private care for them! I'm not feeling very pro NHS right now!

Dancinggirl

Re: Hysterectomy waiting times?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:46:23 AM »

Hi and welcome to mm
I really sympathise - the care we are getting from the NHS is now appalling unless it is a life threatening situation. There doesn't seem to be any regard for quality of life.
Maybe contact your MP?
I know funding is an issue but it seems to me there is massive wasteage within the whole NHS - unnecessary bureaucracy, procedures and inefficient strategies overall - so some major rethinking about how healthcare is delivered needs to be done.
Who has told you it could be a 8-9 month wait? Have you contacted the gynae to see if they have any influence? Can you be put on a list for a cancellation slot?
In the mean time, perhaps see your GP to see if some short term anxiety medication can be prescribed to help you through.
Keep us posted. DG x

Evelyn63

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »

Might be worth contacting your consultant's secretary and asking to be added to the cancellation list.  It's surprising how often people have to cancel, for various reasons, and if you can go in at short notice you might be fortunate enough to be seen sooner.  The waiting lists are currently sitting where I live at 18 months to 2 years for elective surgery .  It's horrendous .

Agree re seeing your own GP in the meantime would be a good idea .

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »

Seems another postcode lottery situation.  My friend goes in Thursday for hers and she hasn't been waiting long.  My SIL agreed to the cancellation list and got a phone call one morning to go straight there and have it done that day

Could you ask your gp to give all the reasons you've written here to ask gynae if you can go higher up the list ? X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 04:31:03 PM »

Go back onto the HRT!  Pronto!  You will require it following surgery and as you are bleeding anyway, I can't see what the risk might be.

I would ask for another appt. with the Consultant.  Certainly ring the Secretary to find out what the actual waiting list is, does the Consultant operate elsewhere - you may find a shorter List there?  Your GP should be able to tell you which Hospitals you can access.

I spent many hours on a Tuesday which was our operating day - travelling round collecting patients on standby : that was 'nil after mid-night and if you haven't seen me B4 11.00 a.m., you can eat!' because people simply failed to attend for surgery or were too ill to be operated on.  So that is a good idea to get onto a cancellation list.  Have your case packed ready ;-).  U will need to be starved from mid-night prior to the surgical day.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »

Are you able to have a Mirena fitted - to try to stop the bleeding and then if it stops/lessens sufficiently then go onto a low dose HRT?

I am also confused why - if you are bleeding ALL THE TIME and your gynae has said it is fairly urgent - that you have to wait 8-9 months - because that doesn't sound like an urgent referral to me. It is not normal to bleed all the time so I would definitely get back to the gynae clinic and ask them to fast track it as they advised. I don't know how the system works - do they refer you to the hospital and are they at the same hospital?

I do hope you manage to get this treated soon.

Hurdity x

paisley

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 05:21:37 PM »

Hi
I would definitely go on the cancellation list while arguing your case. It's anazing how many people drop out of their ops

Annika

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »

So sorry to hear what you are going through Duncaf as bleeding was the main reason I had my hysterectomy a few years back. By the time I went in I was very ill and anemic, my Dr had to check on that because once you become to low they can't operate until they can get your red blood cells back up. Take care of yourself with Iron pills and eating Iron rich foods while you wait that can only help. Make a nuisance of yourself if you have to, make calls, get on a list for people who may cancel out. I used a website that was extremely useful you might find the same called Hystersisters.com many ladies going through the same thing. Best of luck and hopefully you can get an appointment fast.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 06:27:36 PM »

Hello Duncaf31.

I'm sorry that you are in this position.

My GP friend tells me that  massive wastage in the NHS is a myth and infact the staff are working extra hard to keep everything going despite poor resources.. She says that the real reason the service is in such a state is chronic government underfunding.  Private medicine has it's place but I doubt any of us could afford to pay for an expensive operation so it's at these times that we need a properly funded NHS.

I realise that none of the above helps you but the other ladies have given good advice and certainly being added to the cancellation list would be a good idea.

I hope your situation improves soon and please keep us updated.

K.