Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Comedy - tried stand up now other stuff  (Read 4314 times)

CarryWarry

Comedy - tried stand up now other stuff
« on: August 22, 2018, 05:46:29 PM »

Hello everyone!

I just thought I'd let you know that last year I did some 'stand up' after a course for 12 Saturdays...I travelled (despite my flipping headache) to Brighton from Guildford and ventured on ticking off something on my bucket list.  My act had a lot of menopause jokes in it.  I was lucky enough to get through auditions and perform in front of 256 people! (To be precise!!).  It was AMAZING.  People I had never met approached me at the bar afterwards and women were saying 'please do a one woman show because we will come and see you'.  How utterly extraordinary!  There is not enough known about our time of life and there is a lot to laugh about because it's so bloody painful going through it.  Laughing is like pressing a 'release' button.  Despite feeling pretty shabby I am now doing three more comedy courses in London.  I guess what I want to say is, however ghastly you may feel, you just have to pray that you can get through things and you have to fight on through...(this is making me a bit tearful saying this, as I am not at all flippant and the fighting has been hell).  Anyway...the next courses will involve menopause jokes too I'm sure...in a way that people can truly relate and think 'thank GOD someone understands me!!'....yet with a laugh...  I am doing a sitcom course.  A comedy sketch course and a comedy acting for TV course.  FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT EVEN IF IT KILLS YOU...!!  Our lives can't stop, although at times it feels like somebody pushed the STOP BUTTON....   I have never felt so terrible in all my life but I just keep praying the sun will come out tomorrow. xxxx
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:48:13 PM by CarryWarry »

AgathaC

Re: Comedy - tried stand up now other stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »

I would like to come and see you perform! This sounds terrific. Well done you xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:29:35 PM »

How brilliant !
Well done you, maybe we could get a MM coachload of us to come see you perform ! X

dulciana

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:39:48 PM »

How absolutely fantastic, CarryWarry!  I bet performing is a great release for you, taking you right out of yourself and into another world where you can forget your own meno feelings and connect with all those people who are there to support you.  Brilliant - go for it - would love to come and hear you!

Dulciana    :foryou:
x

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »

...........I guess what I want to say is, however ghastly you may feel, you just have to pray that you can get through things and you have to fight on through..

.........and then feel on top of the world when you know it's all gone well!! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »

:medal:   Go GIRL Go!

I had no idea that such Courses are available.  Did you watch Lenny Henry earlier?

Tiddles

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 05:27:06 AM »

Brilliant CarryWarry.  Please post details fo future dates on here so we can come and support you ! xx

Lanzalover

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »

That's great CarryWarry well done you  :medal:

As the others have said do let us have details of your future performances and if you are at a venue near me I'll pop along and support you.

Lanzalover x

CarryWarry

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »

Thanks everyone.  If I ever go into stand up properly I will let you know.  I'd rather write sketches for telly really, which is one of my next courses.  :D  Yes, saw Lenny Henry with Trevor McDonut!  Hasn't he lost tons of weight...still suits him though.  He suits fat and thin.  I can't remember what the thin thing is like.  Have just spent money on sarongs and chiffon sun dresses to cover up on my hols!  Praise dee Lord for cover ups! xx

Roseneath

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »

What a totally uplifting post . Thanks so much for sharing. I bought a ukulele a few weeks ago during a ' good spell '  which has not been played for a week now I am in a 'doom & gloom' spell. You are so right. There is an element of fighting against this. So in your honour I will get out my ukulele today and stumble through the ' Over the rainbow' tutorial - probably in floods of tears! You need to start a thread appealing for material for your routine. I have plenty on discharge and internal inspections!  What medicine it would be if we could all get in one room with a few cocktails twice a week.

AgathaC

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »

Yes, Roseneath. I would love to meet up with some other menopausal ladies and share a cocktail or two. I live in South London/Surrey and have been looking for a menopause specific support group. Nothing at all near me. Saw some posts about some menopause pop up cafes a while back a bit further north. We will have to wait for your next performance, Carry Warry. Or maybe we could be extras in your sitcom? I would make an excellent overweight, anxious perimenopausal getting-weirder-by-the-day woman...

CarryWarry

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »

Hello there - I'm just back from a nice hols and have just seen these extra posts.  That's fantastic that you play the ukulele Roseneath - sounds like great fun.  I play the guitar and piano too (only got to grade 3 on the piano though a few years ago), but hardly ever these days.

I made quite a few notes on hols regarding funny scenarios etc so am hoping to incorporate some of those experiences into comedy.  We stayed at St Jean du Cap Ferrat in a very nice hotel but there were some utterly ghastly posey people there who were incredibly rude to staff.  The pits.  Their behaviour actually disproved their class if you see what I mean.

It was the first holiday that I have had headache free in 2.5 years (due to help on this site).  I just couldn't believe it, every day getting up and going to bed with no headache has been so incredibly uplifting at long last.