Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help I'm rubbish at make up  (Read 2497 times)

Roseneath

Help I'm rubbish at make up
« on: August 19, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »

Absolutely rubbish at make up.  My limited kit (lippy/eye shadow/liner/Rimmel foundation) was bought in the ' Jackie and Patches'  era. I do the moisturising bit OK. Sometimes wander into Boots but get phased by the choice/prices and flawless 16 year olds pouting into the mirror. I don't want be caked in the stuff; well maybe I do if it stops me seeing my mother in the mirror, just look a bit brighter, fresher, not so exhausted looking.  Live in the sticks so no department stores near by to get practised on. Limited funds. I tried putting cling film over my face and this was a step in the right direction.

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Help I'm rubbish at make up
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »

Hi roseneath.
I only use a tinted moisturiser, only cheap, I'm not a believer in paying for expensive make up.
I've bought expensive stuff over the years, and it doesn't do a massive difference, so I always go back to what I know. I only use The Natural Collection from boots, it's £2.99. It does the job.(in golden color)
Mascara, I use Maybelline, that's a good one, again cheapish. And just a slick of lippy, always pink,
And an eyeliner. I've green eyes, so I use blue/green/mauve/. If you want a bit of a glow, the natural collection does a bronzer which hasn't got over the top pigments in it, and I just use a big brush and dust all over and a little more on the cheeks. You can always blend, and wipe it off with a pad if you're not happy.
That's it.
Just makes me look human. Also, I have to be careful what I use because I suffer with eczema on my face sometimes, and the natural collection seems to be ok.

Good luck. Try and go into the shop in the week, not at weekends when all the young ones are in there.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »

Perhaps have a gift token to be 'made up' on one of the counters?  I don't use anything these days 'cos I can't be bothered to take it off.

A good wash in the morning and maybe a light application of sun-screen.  I no longer need to impress  ;D  ;).  I remember how the mascara felt on the my eyelashes - yet  :D

Roseneath

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 05:09:26 PM »

Thanks for your tips ladies. I am still reeling I think after seeing Cher/Streep/Baranski et al in MammaMia 2 who at 70+ look fresher and younger than I did at 40! I know it is skin deep etc etc but when Peri is in its grip, the weather is pants and my hubbie is throwing a tantrum seeing Gollum staring back at me in the mirror doesn't help. Here I go again!

Tiddles

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »

Oh Roseneath.  Your comment about cling film did make me chuckle.  But Cher in Mama Mia 2 !!!!  My daughter, her borfriend and I couldn't get over her and not in a good way!  Her face was so worked on it seemed it would crack and a bit would fall off if she properly smiled.  And she couldn't even seem to walk properly. "What has she done to herself!" was our overriding reaction.  What you see there, definitely in Cher and Baranski, probably in Meryl too for all I know is fake!  Don't compare yourself to those women.  There are many older women ageing beautifully without surgery - Julie Walters is a case in point ! Her beauty shines from within ! Exercise, fresh air, sunshine, good food, plenty of water, a good haircut, Lipfinity all day lip colour and a bit of mascara to open the eyes up. I may not look like Meryl but I'm no Gollum and neither are you!  I can only imagine what those surgically enhanced women really look like with no make up in the privacy of their own bathrooms .... eeeewww ...   :-D xxx
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:44:53 PM by Tiddles »

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »

So many celebs  have face lifts and Botox you can't compare yourself to them

I use Bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser, did always use Olay but they discontinued it.  Eyeshadow (smokey eye), top and bottom liner and mascara and pale lip gloss with a touch of sparkle.  A nice pink blusher softly applied to your cheek bones will really give you a fresh healthy look, I also use an eyelash curler and fill in my brows

A tip my daughter gave me : gently spray face (eyes shut) with a cheap natural hold hair spray will set your makeup for hours ! X

AgathaC

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 07:27:17 PM »

Hello Roseneath, some thoughts from someone who loves make up (!):
Stand back and look at your face in the mirror. Which part of your face would you like to accentuate the most? For most ladies, it is eyes or lips.
If eyes, neutral, smoky eyeshadow (less is more so it doesn't catch in our creases!). I like Rimmel's four colour palettes. Dark brown mascara (looks more natural whatever colour eyes you have). Touch of eye liner.
Then a touch of blusher and a nudeish lip gloss or lipstick.
If you prefer your lips, just some mascara and a dramatic lipstick can work, particularly if you wear glasses. I would use a lipliner and then a deep pink or plum, rich coral or even a red.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »

Hi roseneath
If we had their money, and the people who do their faces, we'd look a million dollars too. ::)
Not that we don't, I'm just saying, they've got all the people they need to do theirs,
Plus, they have plastic surgery and all sorts done. Then there's camera tricks too. :o
I always like the way Kylie minogue looks, always fresh, and lovely, but my OH says
But what has she had done to look like that.. she is 50,-A bloody good makeup artiste, that's what. :(
Don't put yourself down, don't compare yourself to anyone, you're you, drink plenty water,
that's one good tip, freshens the skin, and keep moisturising. ;D

I wish there was a make up to get rid of wrinkles, that seem to have appeared from nowhere on the sides of my face, they look like train tracks..... >:(...lol

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »

They don't look a M$ though!   They simply have too much cash and too much time  ::)  :-X

Keep well hydrated.  Skin is nourished from inside out.  The skin should NEVER feel tight after using products.  It is designed to repel water and sheds naturally.  Any dryness can be treated to a good moistoriser, we [DH and me] use Vaseline or Nivea on arms and legs; or in the sun a good high factor and in the evenings an after sun cream.  We both bath in baby products ............

Let us know how you get on.  Do you have a birthday soon  ;)

Wrinkles are due to the lack of oestrogen causing dryness  ::)

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »

I re-stocked my makeup bag about a year ago and much to my daughter's disgust (and my shame), I've hardly ever used it.   I just keep forgetting about it.  Maybe I should make myself use one item, say, tomorrow.   I'm strict about skincare, though - have been for decades and my skin's in good condition as a result.  I just tend to think make-up looks obvious and I don't want to look like a painted lady. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »

Well done daisydot.
They do make all the difference don't they?

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »

Aww!    :-\   I'm sure you don't look daft at all, Daisydot!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »

My routine is wash face with muslin cloth and no soap. Moisurise well (great stuff from Aldi).  If I am going out I then use an Avon tinted moisturiser which Ive used for several years and it has a high SPF too.  I use a coral lipstick (Clarins) and just use a hint of grey/brown on my eyebrows.  I used to wear mascara but don't anymore.  If I'm not going out I stop at the moisurise stage.

regulars might remember I stopped colouring my hair in January and thats going well.  I like my grey look now and have probably about 6” of grey at the front.  i dont even mind that my top knot is still brown.  ;D

Roseneath

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:32 AM »

I am loving all these great tips. One problem is that we live in an old house which is quite dark. If I put on any lipstick which isn't nude once I get in natural light I feel like I look like a clown fish.  I have started using some Vitamin C / Botanical serum twice a day under my moisturiser which I am really pleased with. It did get good reviews on Amazon but I am very sceptical of those.  it seems to plump up my skin so I look a bit healthier, like I've been for a jog or something. The only problem is at night it seems to make me sneeze a bit like hayfever ; maybe due to the fragrance or the fact it is plant based.

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »

I used to wear make up when I went to work. I went once without make up and several times I was asked if I wasn't well! Since retiring and a spate of rosacea and ill health, I didn't bother. If I didn't feel well, I didn't want to be told I was looking well! Now I wear makeup for social occasions only and only because I want to look well! However, twice I been quizzed why I wasn't paying for prescriptions. Apparently I don't look old enough. I'm 64. I wasn't wearing makeup, but I am blessed with shoulder length natural blonde hair, which helps. So I hold my head up high- no make- when I go shopping anyway!
Pages: [1] 2