Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: night incontinence  (Read 4413 times)

soozie

night incontinence
« on: August 18, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »

Hi
please could someone help.
 2 nights ago I woke up and i had wet the bed! i was mortified. I am 57 and post menopausal. i am still getting a lot of hot flushes and I have had bladder 'issues' for many years. i always have a trace of blood in my urine but this was investigated years ago and found to be just 'one of those things'. i often feel 'uncomfortable' and I ofetn feel like  I have something sitting on my bladder. i suffer quite badly from IBS.
i saw a consultant 2 months ago with my second lot of post menopausal bleeding. I had had a D and C 8 months ago. I was scanned then and everything was fine - including bladder and kidneys.
I suffer from a sever cancer phobia for which I have received treatment but when something like this comes along it sends me into a talespin. I saw my GP who has given me something for overactive bladder. i am just terrified that it is bladder or kidney cancer. has anyone else experienced this? I was given a vaginal cream by the consultant for atrophy. Could such atrophy spread to the urethra. I am exhausted too and this fatigue, the lack of desire to do anything and the fear of cancer is making me feel pretty dreadful.
if anyone could comment i would be very grateful.
Thhnkyou.

Conolly

Re: night incontinence
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »

Hello soozie,

I know that this event could be scary, but try not to worry too much because there may be other explanations... You had good scan result, so maybe this can be related to anxiety.
Are you taking any medication apart from the one for overactive bladder?
Incontinence is a well known menopausal symptom...
Tell us more about these post menopausal bleedings.
I can tell you that a couple of nights ago I took one AD tablet for the first time in my life and I was really scared in the morning because I couldn't pee! It turned out that I was so groggy I haven't noticed I had a pee during the night. The brain works in mysterious ways.
I can also relate to fatigue, hot flushes are such a dreadful thing, the lack of restorative sleep can trigger a lot of issues.
Let's talk about it and maybe we can find some answers!
Daisydot has already given you great advice! Isn't she lovely?

Conolly X

soozie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 05:31:30 PM »

Hi
Thankyou for your replies.
i have been prescribed Vagifem  but am not on any other HRT. i was on Ellestte for 5 years and then came off of it because I was scared about the cancer link. I came off suddenly which was very stupid. I was advised to go back on which i did for another year and then came off completely about 2 and a half years ago. About 15 months later I had some vaginal bleeding. I had a hysteroscopy and my lining was scraped. I had another bleed in June. i had another scan but all looked normal so was told to keep an eye on things and go back if it happened again. The gynae cauterised my cervix because there was a small cyst on it. She gave me Vagifem which I used for a few weeks. IMy GP told me to start using it again when I saw her this week as well as the medication she has given me for an overactive bladder.

I am absolutely terrified about what is happening to my body and can't find anyone else this has happened to. My GP wasn't over concerned but I am in panic mode and I think this contributing to my anxirty and fatigue which then feeds my cancer fears. It is a vicious circle that I can't seem to get out of

soozie

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »

PS i should have thanked you for your kind words. It helps.

soozie

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »

With the risk of too much information  can I just also ask if anyone has a feeling of bladder problems just inside the vagina.> I know it sounds ridiculous but that is where I am experiencing the discomfort. It feel like the pressure is only just inside. Can anyone relate to this? I feel like I am going mad

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:25:00 PM »

Not ridiculous at all.  Starting later like now ! do a 2 week nightly reload of the Vagifem.  Then use as necessary: i.e. every other night: until symptoms settle, which it should do within 3 weeks.  Then use as recommended in the leaflet. every 3rd and 6th/7th night.

Get yourself to a supermarket and buy some night pads so that you can relax for a few nights.  Saves washing too.  There are pull ups or pads [bit like for kiddies ;-) ].  Were you deeply asleep?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:06:27 PM by CLKD »

soozie

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »

I can't exactly describe how it all feels. I have low down stomach ache - difficult to tell if it IBS or bladder. A feeling that I need the loo but don't really need it. My vaginal area, inside, feels uncomfortable and irritated. I assume the gyna gave me vagifem after the ablation on my cervix because she could see the vagina was dry.
 I did the 2 weeks of Vagifem everyday back in April as she said but then eased off completely. Would it be ok to now do a 2 week every night session again and then go on to the twice a week regime?. My cancer phobia makes me terrified of the cancer links so am scared to do another every day stint again even though I think it might help with the bladder issues. I feel totally helpless with all this and feel in a stste of constant panic and fear

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »

soozie, Daisydot is right, do a 14 day reload followed by regular usage. The amount of systemic absorption from local oestrogen is zilch. The information leaflet they give with Vagifem is the same as they give with systemic HRT so is largely irrelevant.
JP x

soozie

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 09:13:07 PM »

Thankyou for your replies. Am going to start tonight and hopefully see an improvement. If it starts to work I may be able to reduce the anxiety that will also help. It's a vicious circle. Thanks again

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »

Hi soozie - once you start Vagifem then you will need it for life. VA doesn't go away unfortunately so you will need topical oestrogen to keep things all plumped up and comfy. Your symptoms sound like mine before I started HRT.

Taz x

soozie

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »

I actually feel like I am going mad. The fear of what is going on just exacerbates the symptoms. I. My stomach feels completely bloated, I feel like I need to wee but it is jsu inside my vagina and  everything just feels uncomfortable and 'wrong'. I am a teacher and go back to work next week. At the moment I can't get my head round that at all feeling like this

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »

You describe the feeling of VA very well soozie. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctors surgery if you can take in a urine sample just to have it "dipped" to rule out infection. As we get older an infection often doesn't have any cystitis type stinging. The feeling just inside your vagina is usually caused by the urethra becoming atrophied. The skin thins markedly here and so it is easy for it to become inflamed. Vagifem will restore the tissues and so protect you from urinary infections and soreness.  As we get older an infection often doesn't have any cystitis type pain. How long ago was your cauterisation?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »

Dipping doesn't show infection, the only way to be certain is to have the fresh sample sent to a Lab.!  Antibiotics handed out 'in case' are ruining the chances of counteracting infections World Wide  :'(.  If the sample 'grows' a bacteria then the correct AB can be prescribed.

Have you tried taking pain relief, I take 2 Nurofen which eases the symptoms within about 45 mins.. 

You are not going mad.  It's HORMONES  >:(  ::).  Keep drinking plenty.  Feet up if you are able.  Get some pain relief down with your lunch.  I would add a dose of Vagifem now and again at night, because it is a lower dose than originally made.

soozie

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »

H,i,
Thankyou both for your replies. I am struggling to believe that I can feel so rubbish and it be down to hormones, not something sinister. The cauterization was done on a cervical nabothian cyst in May. I had seen a gynae because of bleeding which is fine now. at my last smear I was told I had a cervical polyp but the gynae said it was a cyst and cauterised it.

when I saw my gp lat week she dipped my urine which showed no infection. I always have a trace of blood - which was investigated years ago - it even that was less than usual. She gave me vasicare for overactive bladder but am loathe to take it. Wetting the bed freaked me out - embarrassment but more because what it might indicate. It hasn't happened again but now I am not sleeping at all - not that I sleep much anyway - because I am terrified of it happening again. I just feel 'heavy' down below and  constantly aware of a pressure.  Sometimes my skin all over my body itches too - which I hope is also part of the menopause  nightmare? i am so glad I found this site. It makes me feel like I'm not on my own

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »

It's certainly The Change!  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry; inside and out ...... as well as various aches and pains due to laxity of muscles, over the weekend I had intense pain behind both ear bones  :-\ which made me go ouch for about 2 hours.  Then it went. 

Get yourself some pads ;-) so that you can relax at night.  The odd mistake when well padded means less washing.  You need sleep more than anything.  Get some vagifem up there *now* ........ go on, off to the bathroom  :P ....... [note to self  :-\ as I itch high up].  Then more this evening.  What's to lose?  It is replacing what the vagina requires in order to keep healthy. Some ladies use Slyk or 'yes' products on the outer lips too. 

How did you feel before you had your periods?  I felt very, very sick for 2 days B4 my first bleed  :'( and every month for years  :(.  HORMONES up and down. 
Pages: [1] 2