Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HELLO ALL  (Read 1969 times)

Dancing Queen

HELLO ALL
« on: August 17, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »

Hi Everyone, I`m brand new to the forum though I`ve been going through the perimenopause a few years the last few months have been hell! Basically I`m a late finisher (55 and still going) and didn`t have too many problems until I suddenly became very very emotional and mood swingy almost overnight.  I`ve been bursting into tears several times a day for no reason... I just know my hormones are all over the place.  I went to the Drs and she didn`t want to give me HRT as about 4 years ago I was getting migraine aura (I said I`ve barely had it since but she still didn`t think it was a good idea) and decided to put me on antidepressants - venlaxafine. OMG I took it for 2 days and felt so dizzy nauseous and rubbish I thought I`d rather be miserable than this! I would have thought it would be better to treat my hormone level than pump stuff into me that messes with my head? Does anyone take any natural remedies which help with low mood - I`ve heard about St johns wort for instance but good and bad things. I just want to feel normal again and not a drugged out zombie! Physically I feel fine it`s just my head that needs fixing!  Any advice would be much appreciated    :)

Robin

Re: HELLO ALL
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »

Hi and welcome dancing queen. I have migraines and also use HRT. I'm pretty sure that transdermal delivery (patches) is considered ok. I was treated with antidepressants and other meds for several years before it was accepted my problems were hormonal. The side effects were awful and they didn't help my symptoms at all. Nice guidelines state that HRT should be the first treatment offered.  Some ladies find they still need to add in antidepressants at a later date. Im sure some of our more knowledgeable ladies will be along soon to help

Robin
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Dancing Queen

Your GP is certainly not ‘up to speed'. As Robin has rightly said, HRT is the front line treatment for menopause symptoms NOT ADs/SRRIs.

If you do suffer with Migraines then it's best to use transdermal HRT.  Do some research on this site and print off the info under TREATMENTS to show your GP.  I'm afraid we do have to be quite assertive with the GP at times.
Keep us posted.  DG x

Dancing Queen

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:29:57 PM »

Thank you for the info both, I`m not going to take any more of the demon drugs, will go back to the GP and try and squeeze some HRT out of her! Will let you know how I get on..

Lanzalover

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »

Good afternoon Dancing Queen

:welcomemm:

Wishing you all the best with your GP.

Lanzalover x

Ladybt28

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »

venlaflaxine takes anything up to 3 weeks to settle down.  When they put my husband on it he weird dreams for a fortnight and occasionally saw flowers climbing up the walls plus he was dizzy, nauseous and spent a fair few hours in the loo!  Pretty evil stuff but if you really need them then it's best to hang on in there.  Big question is do you need them?  I reckon hrt is the answer especially given your age and the fact it has come on all of a sudden.  40 years of anti-depressants didn't work with me - hormones all along!!!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »

Hi Dancing Queen.

Jd x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »

Venlafaxine didn't have that effect on me though ........ shows how different we are to medications. 

Dancing Queen

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »

Thanks for your replies, after talking to a couple of friends at the weekend they suggested I go back to the Dr and ask for blood tests to check my hormone level and try again for the hrt if it is out of kilter. I really don`t want to go on antidepressants ... I`m not depressed all the time, I enjoy a good social life and am active just keep bursting into tears at the drop of a hat! Oh, and sweating like a pig ... which is attractive...  :( 

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »

Hi Dancing Queen

As the others have said. ADs should not be given if you are not depressed and if the reason for your symptoms are hormonal, except if you are contra-indicated for HRT or have/had other mental health/emotional problems unrelated to menopause for which medication might be appropriate.

Please don't take the ADs against your will. Your doc is wrong. Transdermal is the way forward if you have migraines. Here is what is says on this site about migraines:

Migraine   
    Migraine is often triggered by hormonal fluctuations and therefore may occur around the time of a period. Such migraine may improve at the time of the menopause. Some women find that migraine may be triggered by the daily hormone fluctuations which can occur with oral (tablet) HRT so the transdermal (patch or gel) route is usually preferred with a history of migraine.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossM

Do you know what suddenly triggered getting migraine with aura - if you had never had it before? As it says above - sometimes migraines start for the first time during peri-menopause when hormonal fluctuations become more extreme. Mine certainly did - although I didn't know they were migraines as I'd never had them before and as mine were classic (without aura) I was ignorant as to what they were - just thought they were long-lasting headaches!

You do not need blood tests at all!! This is also against NICE Guidelines. Your age, symptoms, and cycle changes are enough to diagnose peri-menopause. If your periods are irregular with longer and variable gaps between them - then you are peri-menopausal and HRT is appropriate. If your periods are still like clockwork - a bit more tricky as HRT may not necessarily work - although a low dose one might be helpful as it will prevent the extreme oestrogen dip at the end of the cycle? If you want to try HRT, tell us about your cycle (and bleeding?) and then research the different types or ask us and we can let you know what to suggest to your doc :)

Hurdity x

Dancing Queen

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »

Hi Hurdity,
Thank you for your informative reply. Thing is I`ve never had actual migraine headaches, just the aura a few times about 4 years ago (thinking about it maybe it was about the time I started perimenopause?!?) and since maybe only once every few months or longer, which is why I`m surprised the Dr made a big thing about it being contra to me getting HRT, it`s not like I`ve ever had a full on migraine! I really don`t want to take antidepressants having read about the side effects (which I had as soon as I went on them) and the withdrawal symptoms. Periods have been irregular on and off for several years, then I would have a few months regular. About the last 6 months they`ve become quite erratic and I`m currently having a light bleed every 3-4 weeks or so. That co-incides with the time I started feeling emotional and tearful which makes me think it more than likely is hormonal. I`ve got a few things going on in my life I could do without but really should be handling them better than I am currently doing, and turning into a sobbing heap when I drop a pot of cream. (yesterday`s trauma!) This is so not me!