Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Surgical menopause  (Read 1159 times)

ninny

Surgical menopause
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:38:14 PM »

Hi there, I'm new to this site and this menopause milarkey! Just hoping someone can give me some advice/support...... I had my ovaries and tubes removed 3 weeks ago, I had breast cancer 2 years ago but unfortunately had a reaction to tamoxifen and as I was pre menopausal my only option was the op due to the cancer being oestrogen positive. It's just now I am feeling awful, ridiculously tired and all my joints ache, I just feel like a different person  :'( . I was told the surgical menopause is intense but I didn't expect to feel this bad so quickly!  :-\.
Does anybody  out there feel the same or have any advice.? If so itll be greatly appreciated  ;)

Dancinggirl

Re: Surgical menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 03:59:17 PM »

Hi and welcome to mm
You poor thing, you've had a tough time.
Being plunged into post menopause is very tough and I'm not surprised you feel awful.
Hopefully your body will adjust and settle so do look after yourself.
The meno can play havoc with so many things and lifestyle changes may be your best option to help you cope, as Hrt isn't an option. If you do get flushes, then there are non hormonal treatments you can try so discuss this with your doctors.
Hopefully others who have been in your position will be along with support.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »

Tamoxifenalmost killed me  :'(.  It was also the reason why my friend died of cancer in the womb.

Do you mean that your underwent this recent surgery as a pre-caution?  My Surgeon told me that he would remove 'the lot' if it was 'routine' to save going in if ovarian cancer reared it's head.  But the Jury is out.   

I was told after my final Oncology App. "No HRT for you!" : however.  Quality of Life is important.  There is no point in recovering from one disease only to be taken over by something else, although menopause is 'natural' it can cause many hormonal upsets!  Everything that happens to the body is natural so we need to know exactly how large a risk HRT is to those of us with oestrogen positive results.

Maybe keep a symptom diary and decide which symptom you would like to ease first.  Have a read round.  Be aware of vaginal atrophy  >:(  ::) which can be treated with HRT as it is applied into the vagina. 

What has your Surgeon suggested to relief symptoms?  That would be my way, go back and make a Very Big Fuss! 

ninny

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »

Thank you for replies  :). Yes it was purely preventative to get rid of ovaries as the cancer was high oestrogen positive. Surgeon didn't really say very much tbh! ::). I think the only advice was that everyone's different and wait and see but it really has come as a bit of a shock. I am also recovering from the op tho so I can only think that once I'm over that maybe things will get a tiny bit better! :-\. X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »

Did you feel pressurised into the recent surgery?

Consultants need their heads putting into a toilet full of cold water and the flush pulled, several times  :cuss:  They should explain fully what the effects of surgery is likely to be.  It is medical negligence not to do so.  We know that everyone is different  :-X but they have no idea how The Change affects ladies.!

ninny

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »

;D , I think that's a good idea re toilet!  ;D. No i certainly wasn't pressurised into the surgery, to be honest I wanted rid of ovaries as desperately do not want the cancer to return, it scared the bageebees out of me, and my hubby and children. I just want to feel normal again and hope so much that some of the tiredness I could perhaps put down to recent surgery although it was 3 weeks ago now!  :-\ x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:57:19 PM »

Crikey Girl give yourself a break.  3 weeks is nowt in the big picture.  General anaesthetic can affect the system for weeks.  I had surgery in the 1980s and felt fine after discharge, until exactly 2 weeks after the operation.  Then I flopped.  Sleep over-came me for 2 days .........

When I had surgery in the 1990s I slept from recovery room through to 3.45 when I woke and asked for a cuppa  ;D.  I could feel the anaesthetic waft out of my body and I woke.  No problems.  phew.

12 months ago I was very tired, blood test showed low VitD levels.  Maybe get your GP to do a blood test to check?  In the meantime: feet up, cuppa/wine to hand?

ninny

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »

;D ;D. Thank you CLKD! I know I am pretty hard on myself and am very impatient! It's just been so sudden. I'm taking lots of vitamins in the hope that they will help and deffo cuppa/wine at times!  ;D.
Hate this feeling, just doesn't feel like me at the moment.  :'(

groundhog

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »

Oh Ninny, 3 weeks is nothing, you are only just gett8ng the anaesthetic out of your system .
Try and spoil,yourself a bit if you can, good food, plenty of fluids and rest, rest and more rest. 
Wishing you well xx