Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Cholesterol  (Read 12443 times)

Hurdity

Re: Cholesterol
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »

Bump for new member nicolaVR

Hurdity x

Winterose

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 12:10:51 PM »

Please do lots of research before taking statins. The brain has the highest concentration of cholesterol in the body and as it needs a lot to function it makes all of its own .

Statins cross the brain /blood barrier , enter brain cells and reduce the brains ability to make cholesterol.  Yikes : :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 12:31:17 PM »

My Surgery wouldn't give me statins until I had been for the blood test.  But I had run out of medication which THEY INSISTED I should take.  The waiting list for a test was 2 weeks  ::)

Sparrow

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »

My Surgery wouldn't give me statins until I had been for the blood test.  But I had run out of medication which THEY INSISTED I should take.  The waiting list for a test was 2 weeks  ::)

Your surgery has no right to insist you take anything.

The choice is yours and yours alone.

Winterose

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 06:26:49 PM »

Just read an article about a new  twice yearly statin injection - they really do want to statinise us all and not give us hrt😅

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2019, 09:56:37 PM »

Nope Winterose - different medications for different conditions ;-)
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2019, 06:25:22 PM »

Plant sterols are a natural way to reduce cholesterol, also oat bran.  Good luck!

Was wondering what is Plant sterols?

annieb

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 08:19:27 AM »

My doctor recommended OAT BRAN - so I have Mornflakes OatBran as part of my breakfast . My cholesterol was 7.5 last year so just about due for a check to see if this is working ( will let you know)
I had problem some years ago also and used Benecol spread which did actually work and bring my readings down after 12 months. However I had a reaction to the plant sterols and kept coming out in an itchy rash so had to stop using it

Tracey E

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2019, 07:39:57 AM »

What is a normal cholesterol reading, mine was 5.8 on the last blood test. It was also 5.8 two years ago. So I'm thinking do I need to reduce my saturated fat intake?🤔 I already eat porridge in the morning but I do like the odd cake, cheese and biscuits.

Kathleen

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »

Hello ladies

A simple way to reduce cholesterol and saturated fat is to substitute with plant foods.  I've found this surprisingly easy to do and now eat soya products instead of dairy, all kinds of plant milks instead of cows milk and avoid eggs.  It's amazing how many food items contain animal products so it's worth checking labels.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2019, 09:32:16 PM »

The link between saturated fats and raised cholesterol is now being extensively challenged.  I suggest taking a look at Dr. Malcolm Kendricks website, and in particular the ' Statin Nation' video, for an alternative point of view.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2018/07/03/why-saturated-fat-cannot-raise-cholesterol-levels-ldl-levels/

https://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6340/rr/669222

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2139/rr-4

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111

This last link is particularly interesting.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:13:49 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2019, 06:40:55 AM »

Milk is produced by mammals nothing else, otherwise it's a sap or liquid 'dressed up'  ;)

Some people can't tolerate soya-based foodstuffs and I can't tolerate eggs unless they are in  :cupcake:  or pancakes.  Otherwise they sit in my gut and make me feel really ill. 

We eat: cabbage, cauliflower, leeks, sweetcorn, carrots, red beet; potatoes in all forms; sprouts in season; legumes in all forms; peppers, garlic, ginger.  Radishes, tomatoes, occasionally lettuce/Chinese cabbage.  Sounds healthy  :-\ ......... we start the day with a good oat-based mix with semi-skimmed cows' milk.  Some is home grown including strawberries, loganberries, grapes, raspberries and currants.

Meat is plant based.  It is suggested that people eat more goat  :-X products as well as game in season [from 1 Oct til Feb.] because there's very little fat on early shot birds.  We eat fish twice a week and lots of chicken. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:43:25 AM by CLKD »

Sparrow

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2019, 08:31:50 AM »

Unfortunately even Vegans can get high cholesterol.

jaycee

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2019, 09:20:46 AM »

5.8 Isn't very high, mine at the last check was 5.4 and told it was fine,on the other hand my sisters [both sisters in fact] was something like 9,which is far too high,
I wouldn't worry too much, i always liked Lurpak butter and reduced it, without going on to margarine which i hate,i did try it, and it reduced slightly
I don't take statins, after my local pharmacist said she would never take them, i thought that is a good recommendation not to take them , try the diet way

Tracey E

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »

Hi Jaycee that's what I'm goung to do, just got to be a bit careful with cheese, cakes and biscuits. I love cooking so it's not going to be easy..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5