Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Cholesterol  (Read 12432 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cholesterol
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »

We were told to take statins months ago.  Himself decided to go the diet route and I gave in.  Different GP.  Different tests.  We went to see our GP eventually who explained that the guide lines have been altered as to when statins should be prescribed.  It was clear at the time  ::) and as he isn't a GP to prescribe if it ain't necessary we are now both on them.

Sadly the state of GPs in the NHS will become worse as many Doctors in training don't want the hassle of GP work in the NHS.  They do their training and if they want to deal with patients directly they are going abroad or becoming Consultants.  Those that trained when Was in the NHS are now retiring and there is a gap. 

The Nurse who talked to Himself offered statins and when he resisted, she was going to put 'refused statins'.  There were a lot of anomalies in the blood results anyway and she didn't know that he is a Research Chemist.  At one point he was told that a result might be due to dehydration at the time of the test but his slightly high cholesterol test - taken at the same time, she didn't mention dehydration.  He queries this with our GP. 

Shadyglade

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 07:39:55 PM »

You shouldn't have to 'give in' to your GP. You are in charge of your health and welfare. You also have the right to refuse any treatment, no matter what they write on your record.

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour by your surgery.

Shadyglade

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 07:42:40 PM »

The money wasted on statins would be far better spent else where.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 07:46:24 PM »

Yep.  But the Nurse has been advised by NICE the this is the way to go.  She had no idea how to interpret results which was obvious by her not considering that dehydration may have had an impact on the cholesterol as well as other results.  Which is why Himself want the diet way for 3/4 months B4 we saw our GP.

It does seem however: that once on status we can eat and drink exactly what we like!  There was no diet advice given by the Nurse when he wanted to try that route, it was 'take it or ........ '.  No question of referral to the GP for discussion, nor to see a Consultant au fait with Cholesterol etc..  Ticking boxes I reckon.  I did bring up the point about who was paying whom to prescribe statins ........

Such as?  It is known that statins do lessen the risk of stroke which costs the NHS M£ ........ and takes away someones freedoms.  And with the current situation in the care sector - i.e. there isn't much - prevention might be better than 'cure'. 

Shadyglade

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 07:50:33 PM »

I would dispute the idea that statins have much effect on CVD. The statistics really don't support it.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »

My GP assures me that they do.  As well as a friend who never took them having a stroke in Feb. I prefer to be cautious.  Fortunately I haven't had any particular side effects after the initial acute muscle pains.

dangermouse

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »

I think it's well documented now that prescribing statins is part of the contracted bonus plan for UK GPs. Maybe the practice insists to add ‘refused statins' otherwise they get hit with breach of contract.

Now it's proven they are not the prophylactic of heart disease the NHS were led to believe by the drug companies' ‘research', this may end soon and they'll be prescribed more responsibly, as I'm sure they have their place.

Shadyglade

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »

Do your own research CLKD. The info GPS have originates from the drug companies. As I mentioned before in the links I have provided there are plenty of GPs who do not routinely prescribe statins. This includes my own.

Check out Dr Malcolm Kendicks website.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:04:51 PM by Shadyglade »

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »

I would be surprised if anyone was prescribed statins purely on the basis of a cholesterol result  :-\. Maybe I mentioend ealrier in this thread or another similar that they will do a Qrisk score to see your risk of getting a stroke in next X years and if high then they would suggest them? The Q risk thing is based on body weight, whether you smoke, age, etc as well as cholesterol reading. Mine was high ( the total Ch), the ratio was fine ( because they measured HDL and LDL as well as total), but my Q risk score was something like 7 % and my doc was totally happy. Said retest the Ch two years hence. If your lifestyle and diet are also good then surely no need to medicate. My doc said some people just clear Ch slower than others. Statins were not even mentioned to me.

Hurdity x

Shadyglade

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 08:51:01 AM »

Exactly.  My cholesterol has been high for over 20 years (hovers between 6 & 7), but statins have never been mentioned.

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »

Bump for Northarm

Dyan

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »

Hi all,
Sorry haven't been on here for a little while. Having  depression/anxiety/ OCD blip.
Just thought I would look in this morning to catch up.

Anyway I went to see my GP privately about my cholesterol and thyroid only to be told my thyroid is fine. My cholesterol is high but when the GP did the risk assessment I have only a 3% chance of having a heart attack or stroke. As long as I make some changes to my diet he is not worried and I'm to have another blood test in 3 months to see where I am.

I have made several changes to my diet. Porridge for breakfast, lots of fruit,veg, changed my clover spread to olivio or flora and take a bencol drink each evening after my main meal.
We'll see how that goes. I still allow myself a cake of some chocolate now & again.
My GP said it's not going to matter as long as I'm not eating it every day.

Relieved to have seen my GP so not worried now but going through this awful blip, for which I'm taking clonazapam as needed. Knocks me out and keeps me calm.
X

Dyan

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »

Also forgot to say I don't need statins because the % is under 10.
If that helps anybody wondering.

Shadyglade

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »

That's really good news. Congratulations 🎊

NorthArm

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »

Yes, congratulations Dyan....

I just did the online Qrisk assessment, and I came in at 5.7%....so, I'm choosing to make some lifestyle changes before going the statin route. Thank goodness for this page!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5