Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Cholesterol  (Read 12431 times)

Dyan

Cholesterol
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:40:52 AM »

I have just received my cholesterol test results and  it says above range and I'm to see my doctor.
I rang for an appointment but can't get one for 4 weeks.
My serum cholesterol level (XE2eD) reads 7.5 mmol/L (3.6-5.0)
Does anyone understand the readings?
I am worrying about this but if it was urgent then surely the doctor would have called me in?

Dancinggirl

Re: Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »

It's not urgent, I expect they will simply put you on statins.  If I were you, I'd have a good look at you diet and exercise regime and see if you can reduce your cholesterol naturally first. Keeping slim and active with a diet low in saturated fats is the way to go. Lots of brisk walking, swimming or exercise classes with fresh foods, omega oils and a lot less meat can work wonders.  DG x

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:59:09 AM »

Thank you Dancinggirl,
My meat intake is low anyway and I eat lots of fruit & veg but I do have a sweet tooth and love cakes & chocolate. For the passed wk I have cut out these things and replaced them with nuts & seeds.
I exercise 5 times a wk for 35 mins on a strider and walk wherever I can.
I forgot to mention, I also have an under active thyroid.

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »

Hi Dyan,

I would just like to say that many mainstream doctors are now disputing the efficacy of prescribing statins so widely, for high cholesterol.  If your GP wishes you to take them please do your own research first.  I have posted the link below as a start.   

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/statin-nation-the-documentary/

Take a look at the rest of the website too as it is very informative.

Shadyglade

marge

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:45 PM »

Plant sterols are a natural way to reduce cholesterol, also oat bran.  Good luck!

Dyan

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »

Thank you Shadyglade & marge,

Yes I read that plant sterols and oat bran was good to reduce cholesterol.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »

I agree with the others, even if my cholesterol was a bit high I would resist statins as I seem to react badly to any medication these days and really question what negative effects occur long term due to this drug. It would be better to use HRT as at least this supplements things more naturally. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 02:08:43 PM »

Also - is this just total cholesterol? Docs aren't supposed to look at just this anyway. They should have measured HDL and LDL and it's the ratio of Total to HDL (I think that's right) that's  important. if they haven't measured this then apart from diet lifestyle and exercise - don't let them prescribe you anything on the basis of this anyway - until they've done the proper blood tests. My cholesterol ( total) is high but nothing has ever been suggested as my ratio is fine. I can;t do anything more than I;m doing - not overweight, have good siet, low alcohol, lots of exercise and low BP. My doc said some people's cholesterol is naturally high and also I think it tends to rise with age without necessarily having a pathological reason ie not needing medical intervention. They may do a Q risk thingy - where they plug your vital stats into a computer programme and come up with your 10 year stroke risk. If you're not overweight and your blood pressure is normal then your stroke risk should be low.

Did I read somewhere that cholesterol tends to be raiid with under-active thyroid anyway?  So - if you are still symptomatic - tired, overweight sometimes feeling cold - in particular - then may be your thyroid meds need increasing and this might reduce your cholesterol ( this is from memory so might have remembered wrongly!).

If you go to home pgae of forum and search "cholesterol" you might find other threads with this title where it has been discussed.

Hurdity x

Dyan

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 09:26:05 PM »

Went to see the nurse on Friday about my high cholesterol only to be told that my thyroid isn't right >:(
I wasn't told this when I rang for my test results.
Couldn't get an appointment with GP for 4 wks so went online to find private GP and my own Doctor came up.
DH suggested I make an appointment, as he's so disappointed with the nhs, so I did, and got one for this Thursday morning.

I haven't seen my own gp for 3 years because it's so hard to get an appointment with him.
He put me on thyroxine then and I've only had one blood test since then.
No wonder my cholesterol is high if my thyroid function is not working properly.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 06:43:54 AM »

Dyan - this is appalling. That you feel you have pay to get the treatment you need is a strong indication of how bad things are with the NHS. I feel the same. It's more about privilege now than ever before. The only things given proper support are life threatening things like cancer and heart problems.
I have a friend and neighbour who has a history of cancer  ( several episodes of treatment since her teens) and when she developed back and hip pain last year the GP did the usual thing of prescribing pain killers and physio. After several weeks of continued problems she finally went privately and they discovered she had cancer in her bones.
I find the state of the NHS quite frightening. DG x

littleminnie

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »

If you are on thyroxine Dylan you are supposed to have a blood test every 12 months.

Dyan

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »

It doesn't give us much confidence in them at all does it?
Your poor friend. Like you say it just goes to show how bad the NHS is.
I go private for my mental health as I was badly let down by them 14 years ago when I had a breakdown. X

Dyan

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »

LM- yes I know, but when I originally spoke to my
GP about that he said it doesn't happen.
I only had a blood test recently because I saw a locum doctor who noticed I hadn't had a test for my thyroid for some time.
Now my thyroid is not right,but didn't know that, until I saw the nurse about my high cholesterol.
I wasn't told when I phoned for my results and that was 5 wks ago. >:(

Shadyglade

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »

shambles >:(

littleminnie

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 05:44:11 PM »

Our surgery hauls me in every 12 months. Won't let me get another prescription until I make an appointment and book a blood test.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5