Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Cholesterol  (Read 12724 times)

jaycee

Re: Cholesterol
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »

Well Tracy,after saying that i am on the Keto diet,it is supposed to be good for Diebetes and pre diabetics, which i am
I have put quite a lot of weight on, [for me] i usually struggle to gain weight, and last summer was trying everything to put weight on, but my daughter started the Keto diet and has lost 3ib since Sunday,the best of it is you can eat a lot, but no bread,potato's and sugar, and milk, cream in your coffee,
Will give it a try, but not sure how it affects Cholesterol, i think its fine, but will check
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:45:55 PM by jaycee »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »

3lb is too much in a short time!

Also that won't be maintained as the body often sheds water initially ......... a family on TV this week were batch cooking on a Sunday from 7.00 a.m.: all day.  Cooking, cooling, storing so that they ate the same amount each day of a varied diet.  DH batch cooks chicken curry and mince mix with lots of veg for the freezer 4 when we are home later than planned so that we don't eat stuff .... not that we have much stuff in the house other than chocolate and it would take a brave person to separate me from that  ;)

In addition to what I mentioned above we have various types of packet crisps; occasionally tea-cakes/scones for picnics; bread/rolls for picnics; Maltesers are my current weakness  ::) and himself is on fresh figs/dried fruits ........ we eat bananas daily.  We use butter on sweet corn, baked spuds and toast otherwise it's olive oil poured over as a dressing or for cooking.  Lots of ginger, garlic, black pepper and salt.  Not many tinned fish/meats though we have them to hand.

Tracey E

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2019, 08:13:26 PM »

Well Tracy,after saying that i am on the Keto diet,it is supposed to be good for Diebetes and pre diabetics, which i am
I have put quite a lot of weight on, [for me] i usually struggle to gain weight, and last summer was trying everything to put weight on, but my daughter started the Keto diet and has lost 3ib since Sunday,the best of it is you can eat a lot, but no bread,potato's and sugar, and milk, cream in your coffee,
Will give it a try, but not sure how it affects Cholesterol, i think its fine, but will check

That's sounds very healthy, I'm sure it will have a positive effect on your cholesterol. Well done you for the weight loss ! X

Tracey E

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2019, 08:16:57 PM »

CLKD, I made a batch of cheese scones yesterday 12 to be exact. Full of bloomin cheddar and butter not healthy at all really. I don't drink or smoke so my only passion is food. What can a gal do? 😮

Kathleen

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Shadyglade - It's certainly possible to be a vegan and still have a very unhealthy diet, for example consuming lots of oil, even olive oil can be harmful.

Tracey E -  There are some delicious recipes using only healthy ingredients and  as you love to cook you would find them super easy to do.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2019, 11:40:10 AM »

Share the cheese scones >hands over plate<  ;)

A little of what we fancy holds well.  I 'go off' foods anyway so can eat cheese for weeks then suddenly I can't face it so my body stops eventually.  I remember my Grandparents eating stodge but they walked every where and spent long days on the farm ...... exercise is as important as what we eat. 

My Grans cooked with full fat milk and butter when they could afford it.  Both lived until there were mid-80s but food was filling.

How is olive oil harmful  :-\.  Those on a Mediterraen diet are supposedly the healthiest in Europe  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »

Hello again ladies.

All oils and fats have been shown to injure the endothelial cells that line our arteries leading to fatty deposits and clots  over time.  The reason the Mediterranean diet is healthier than the standard western diet is because all the vegetables consumed offset some of the damage.  It is even better to avoid saturated animal fat and excessive use of oils if possible.

Anyone wanting to learn more about protecting our arterial health need only look online to see the wealth of data available.   Fortunately we no longer have to rely on well meaning grannies for information,  we have professionals and scientific data to learn from if we take the time to look.

Take care all.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2019, 04:33:33 PM »

I'll continue using olive oil well, will encourage my Chef [DH] to not worry too much.  How much olive oil would one need to consume daily B4 it becomes a problem  :-\.  I used to bake with sunflower oil but it was a Phaff to measure it against butter/marg  ::).  Everything turned out OK except the shortbread, once it was so burnt that even the birds couldn't eat it  :D

Sparrow

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »

Hello again ladies.

All oils and fats have been shown to injure the endothelial cells that line our arteries leading to fatty deposits and clots  over time.  The reason the Mediterranean diet is healthier than the standard western diet is because all the vegetables consumed offset some of the damage.  It is even better to avoid saturated animal fat and excessive use of oils if possible.

Anyone wanting to learn more about protecting our arterial health need only look online to see the wealth of data available.   Fortunately we no longer have to rely on well meaning grannies for information,  we have professionals and scientific data to learn from if we take the time to look.

Take care all.

K.

The link between saturated fats and raised cholesterol is now being extensively challenged.  I suggest taking a look at Dr. Malcolm Kendricks website, and in particular the ' Statin Nation' video, for an alternative point of view.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2018/07/03/why-saturated-fat-cannot-raise-cholesterol-levels-ldl-levels/

https://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6340/rr/669222

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2139/rr-4

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111

This last link is particularly interesting.

Just in case you missed my links before. :)

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »

:thankyou:

Kathleen

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Shadyglade - thanks for the reminder. I will definitely check out the links that you have posted as I find the whole subject very interesting and there is always something new to learn.

Wishing you well.

K.

Tracey E

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2019, 08:39:38 AM »

Hi Shadeglade, that info was really useful. I walk the dogs daily and have just started doing yoga again. Carbohydrate impact on cholesterol was particularly interesting. I guess it's a mediterranean diet for me, more nuts and olive oil. :)

Would fish oil (omega) be beneficial too? I eat salmon and mackerel twice weekly  that good or bad?

Sparrow

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »

Hi Shadeglade, that info was really useful. I walk the dogs daily and have just started doing yoga again. Carbohydrate impact on cholesterol was particularly interesting. I guess it's a mediterranean diet for me, more nuts and olive oil. :)

Would fish oil (omega) be beneficial too? I eat salmon and mackerel twice weekly  that good or bad?

I would say good to both.  Most fish oils also give you Vitamin D but if you are already taking a supplement make sure you do not have too much.  Read the labels as straight Omega 3 does not usually have Vitamin D, unlike fish oils. 

Nothing is simple is it.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »

We eat trout every week.  I love to catch mackerel and cook on the beach ;-)

Kathleen

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Shadyglade - I've read your links and found them very interesting and some  of what is said is echoed in the science I've seen.

I think I will continue with my whole foods, plant based diet for the foreseeable future as I've been eating this way for three years and all my results for cholesterol, blood pressure, BMI and blood sugar as well as inflammatory markers are well within the normal range so clearly it suits me.  However I accept that it's important to remain open minded as new discoveries are made.

We live in an age where we can access the latest information on any subject that interests us and it would be a shame to miss out on such a great learning opportunity.

Wishing you well.

K.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5