Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CMHT troubles  (Read 3053 times)

UpsDowns

CMHT troubles
« on: August 12, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »

Hi everyone and this is a mental health issue but pretty certain that I'm starting the menopause and know that you guys are so lovely, and depression and anxiety is a symptom for some anyway.  I've been with CMHT for over a year but discharged myself due to panicking about them discharging me.  Foolish I know, anyway I managed for a bit and then went to pieces and gp has referred me back. They rang last week to phone assess and the cpn said he would look after me as part of the issue was that I became completely reliant/dependant on previous CPN. I hate being reliant on anyone for anything. Got tne appointment through and it says my previous cpn! Panicked and rang up to speak to the man who phone assessed me and guess who rings back ex CPN!  The embarrassment was awful and I didn't cope with the conversation at all, just felt like a traitor. She said that it's her being my care coordinator or nothing, I'm terrified of her and especially now as told gp this and she obviously put it in the referral letter.  She is ringing back tomorrow. Don't know what to do - I know I'm not well enough to go it alone but I just can't work with my ex CPN as don't feel at all safe with her. Any advice would be gratefully received. I can't ring CMHT as she will just call me even if I ask for duty worker or named person. Thanks

Taz2

Re: CMHT troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:28:26 PM »

Sorry UpsDowns I have no advice for you but wanted you to know that your post has been read and I'm sure someone with more knowledge of mental health will be along soon.

Taz  :hug: :hug: :hug: x

AgathaC

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »

Like Taz, I have no specific advice on what to do about your MHT and CPN issue. I suspect if you were to ask your GP they would say that you need to work with the CPN unless you have a specific complaint. You say you don't feel safe with her. It is just that you didn't like her/click with her/feel she was very sympathetic? I suspect so, given what she said on the ‘phone!
I'm up in the middle of the night and I've just looked back at all your posts (ironing finished so I have time!). You are clearly going through awful perimenopause/menopause (like me!) with all the dreadful symptoms that it brings. It can make me feel very isolated and panicky at times and I can relate with your feelings about relying on the CPN and calling her from Spain. I have felt like I need urgent help at times and something just to sort this out NOW!
I've done tons of reading on this forum recently and the advice from lots of the lovely ladies has been invaluable. It's clear that there is no quick fix and that whatever route we take on this journey (HRT or no HRT), we need a mix of therapies anyway and an overall approach. I'm finding (at the moment!) that I'm dealing with the anxiety and mental health issues (not dissimilar to yours) by excercise, distraction, sleep, diet, etc etc. It's not perfect but I'm just about on it.
I don't think I've written anything particularly helpful but just so you know that 1. You're not alone and 2. The CPN and MHT I'm sure will help even if your particular CPN is not your favourite. Maybe try and think about it as not about her but about you and take out the personal feeling. CLKD always says to make a list and say what you want to get out of your next appt. Forget what's happened before and go along with a new approach.
Hoping you are sleeping soundly and will wake up ready to face another week!

UpsDowns

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:13:36 AM »

Thank you for your replies Taz and Agatha really appreciate it and did sleep so feel much better for that. I suppose I was just asking for some reassurance, and thanks you gave me that. I'm just going to answer the phone and try to not go to pieces, be honest and see what happens. I know they are trying to help me but sometimes the "therapeutic" relationship feels anything but! I do have lots of strategies but as you will know sometimes the mind is too frantic.  Mindfulness 3 step breathing space is super when panicking, plenty on utube, etc. Thanks

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »

I often think the best way to describe the mental aspect of the hormonal imbalances is that we have absolutely no control over our own thoughts. They don't seem to be prompted or started off by any comment or situation they just pop into out heads and run absolute riot.  We know they are irrational, mad and not based on anything at some underlying level we just cant get hold of it.  Basically we can open our eyes in the morning and not be safe to be left alone with our own minds.  I find that I need to get the rubbish in my head out of my mouth and sometimes the appropriate person to listen isn't there or I chose the wrong person to listen.  Half the time what they are listening to makes no sense!  I do know UpsDowns that it helps to be supported by someone who doesn't treat you like you just landed from another planet and is sympathetic to your situation.  Its difficult when the mental health issue is induced by hormones.  I have found all my mental health support has been based on making sense of my thoughts, changing my reactions and working through stuff "logically".  What I needed was hormones to balance my mental health as it wasn't actually my mental health making me ill if you see what I mean! Hah that's a laugh since when are the reactions to hormonal anxiety logical.

If you really dont like the CPN stick to your guns and says so - sometimes the CMT think they are helping and they really are not!

AgathaC

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »

I like your way of putting it, Ladybt28, and I can certainly empthasise with not feeling like I should be left in charge of my own mind!

UpsDowns

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »

That made me laugh ladybt, minds are odd things. To be honest I don't think mental health services appreciate that hormones have got so much to do with our mad, unwelcome thoughts, they just think oh another mad middle aged woman!
Anyway had terrible day yesterday, panicking about this phone call - she didn't ring thank goodness. Also I have started with hot flushes (which I now think is a ridiculous name for something so debilitating) about every hour or so and more if im moving a lot. Feels quite a bit like a panic but without the ridiculous breathing, heart on overdrive and feels like all the blood is going to my head and my head so unbearably hot and sweaty, face and hair literally dripping. Not on hrt but thinking of visiting gp tomorrow to see if she thinks it's appropriate,  it may help my mind as well as my body. Feeling pretty positive  this morning - I might not be that mad after all  ;)

Ladybt28

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 01:24:29 PM »

No you most definitely are not going mad! - there are a fair few threads on here about people thinking their crazy and describing all sorts of weird things that we would probably never tell our closest friends.  They are all genuine issues and they need dealing with.  There is no need to suffer  I have to say that it can prove problematic for some of us to sort out but if you persevere then you will get there in the end - I think that the more knowledge you gain and the more you swap stories on here the better equiped you will be.  Sometimes we cant go back to exactly how we were but we can nearly get back!

Check out the section Personal experiences there is some stuff that will make you cry laughing as well as making you have a fair few "light bulb moments".  See you GP it can only be a good thing.

UpsDowns

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 09:36:36 AM »

Thank you, you ladies are so supportive and I really appreciate your time and help.
Went to GP yesterday and starting on HRT, so here's hoping for the new me! Also talked about my mental health and just plummeted when I got home and ended up ringing CMHT as just felt I couldnt move off the bed. Spoke to ex CPN and actually didnt care it was her, as felt so desperate at the time. Keeping the review appt with her now, as I know I need help even though I hate accepting it.  Read some of the personal experiences and the "Doing Stupid things" post even cheered the grumpy/miserable me up.

Robin

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »

Well done upsdowns. It takes a lot to do what you've done when things are so desperate. CMHT might be able to offer some support while you settle into trying the HRT. Let us know how you get on

Wishing you well
Robin
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 01:37:28 PM »

If you are hungry, do you not eat?   If you have a headache, do you not take pain relief  :-\

Mental health will always have a stigma.  But I decided years ago not to discuss it with anyone unless they really needed to know!  So my GP and husband are supportive of where I am now and I have learned to recognise when I need help.  MIND Charity were very good 2 years ago, kept in contact via e-mail whilst I worked through some issues that made me query whether I was 'safe'. 

I think people think that they can 'catch' mental illnesses  >:(.  I open up when I think it is necessary. 

Ladybt28

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »

Upsdowns - I found it was the hopelessness of no knowing why this was happening to my head - I'm a "why" person - there had to be reason - I just could not get anyone to listen. So glad that you have finally gone to the GP but the effort can be mentally exhausting. Sometimes we need to surrender - hide under the duvet or dump our thoughts on someone else because they are too heavy for us.  Hold on to a glimmer of hope and in all probability you might be on the right track for it to explode into the light at the end of the tunnel.  :sunny:

If you don't like the CPN and need to talk - write it down here - talk to us - even at 2 in the morning there are people scribbling or doing their ironing because they cant sleep.  Someone here will say something.

AgathaC

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »

UpsDowns - how are you today? Ladybt28 is right - and I'll be the one ironing at 2am waiting for your message!  ;D

Ladybt28

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 03:31:59 PM »

AgathaC - I knew it was you ironing at 2 - but I didn't like to say for sure!  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »

I'll be round with a pile of ironing about 1.30 tomorrow morning  ;D
Pages: [1] 2