Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Fire Warning: towels  (Read 1995 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Fire Warning: towels
« on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »

Apparently if products are not washed out of towels thoroughly and these towels are piled up, they can combust.  Certain oils when trapped in an air-tight situation, can ignite.

This happened in a hair saloon recently.  So 'essential' oils may be dangerous.  Towels must be washed at over 60 and rinsed thoroughly to make sure that everything is washed out, otherwise the towels aren't cleansed.

DH told me at lunch time which oil is the most dangerous but I can't remember  :-\.   

CLKD

Re: Fire Warning: towels
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »

LCNi reports in 2014:

Fire
Essential oils such as cloves, eucalyptus and similar products are a main feature of spa treatments.

In their pure form many of these essential oils would be classed as flammable liquids with flash points in the range 50 - 60C. The product formula usually dilutes them in a carrier oil at a concentration of 0.5 to 3%, so the final flammability depends to a large extent on the carrier being used. However, the essential oils do not dissolve in or mix with water, so the carrier oils are likely to be well able to support combustion once ignited. Essential oils are exceptionally difficult to wash out of towels, either partially or completely, so the residues remains on the wet towels when they go from washer to dryer.

Once the water has evaporated, the towel warms up and many oils will start to react with the oxygen in the drying airstream and give off heat. This (exothermic) reaction continues when the towels are unloaded into a barrow, although at this point any heat generated usually (but not always) dissipates naturally. The towels then pass to the towel folder where they are folded and stacked.

If the reaction continues, heat builds up in the centre of one or more of the stacks and the surrounding towels insulate it and prevent it dissipating. As the temperature of the centre rises the reaction develops faster and faster until eventually the whole stack ignites, exploding and hurling flaming textiles all over the laundry.

This has been advanced as one of the main reasons for the unexplained laundry fires that break out in the middle of the night.
In most laundries there are no staff on site overnight to deal with the problem so the whole laundry can burn down leading to a typical insurance bill of £5million - £10million each time.

Currently the UK laundry and rental sector loses one or two laundries a year through fire. The most likely common factor in this scenario is un-removed oil on the textiles at the seat of the blaze.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »

There's been quite a lot about this in the national press in the last couple of days.  A good warning I think and one which we should talk to our various salons about?

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:40:36 AM »

Sounds like the salons responsibility CLKD. If they don't want a fire 🔥 that is.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »

We have a duty of care to each other ........ if I can remember  ::) I will mention it to the various places that I visit: birthday tokens for a pedicure for example  ;) ........

It could happen in our own airing-cupboards!

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »

Not in mine. I don't use anything combustible not even fabric softener. Nasty stuff.

Anyone who runs a business does risk assessment. They should know without you telling them CLKD.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 06:50:58 PM »

My spinner cycle is really good, although I use conditioner occasionally the laundry never smells or feels sticky. 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »

I found when I did a 'cool' wash, i.e 30 as was suggested by various companies a few years back, the laundry felt sticky.  Now that I do a hot wash that problem has gone.  Do you remember when Granny had a boil wash in the copper  ::)

Shadyglade

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 07:04:31 PM »

I only use face moisturiser, a light one. I think I'm safe.

Until I'm stuck by lighting or a meteor that is.  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »

Granny swore by cuticura ointment or zinc and caster oil ....... 4711 .......... bicarb of soda for burns .......

I stick with Nivea

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »

The trouble with washing towels at a high temperature is that they deteriorate quickly. I wash mine at 40 degrees and use a laundry disinfectant for sensitive skins. They feel lovely. I would hope that I have washed off any products in the shower and then put any moisturising products after I am dry, so contact is minimal. I doubt this the case in hairdressers though.

Shadyglade

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »

That makes sense but I would think salons wash at a higher temperature for hygiene reasons.