Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Uterine fibroid?  (Read 1791 times)

lizzog

Uterine fibroid?
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:12:30 PM »

Quick overview.  52 years old with 2nd mirena for prog fitted two years ago, and oestrogel x 1 pump twice a day for oestrogen.  Still having periods intermittently - about one every 2-3 months.  The last two (May and July) have been heavier, more like the ones that had me getting the mirena fitted in the first place. My iron levels are on the very low side of normal (can't remember the exact figures but I'm on x3 iron tablets a day).  I had a polyp removed two years ago (at the same time as the mirena fitted  :o), and my GP sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound and abdominal scan today.
The woman doing the scan didn't give much away other than saying there wasn't anything sinister there thank god.  She did spot a small fibroid in the lining of my womb.
I understand I've now got to wait a week until the results come through and I can see my GP.  Anyone had anything similar, and how was it treated? 

CarryWarry

Re: Uterine fibroid?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »

Hi Lizz - I have fibroids.  I have one that's 6cm across, another that is 3cm across and lots of little ones.  You really don't need to do anything with them unless they are giving you a lot of pain.  I had the Mirena for 17 years while still having the fibroids (or while they were developing).  I have just had a new Mirena fitted, despite my 6cm fibroid being quite close to the cervix and all is fine.

My fibroids were discovered during an ultrasound scan for a 'lost' minera.  I had it removed under general and still carried on having them....that's how much I like the mirena!!

Initially I sought advice over the fibroids and one idiot gyne told me I could have a hysterectomy which was RIDICULOUS.  I got a 2nd opinion and thank GOD he said I didn't need one and I've been happy to this day.  I have thought about reporting the first gyne who is top of his field in Surrey, but I'd get nowhere.  That's a whole other story though!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:36:15 PM by CarryWarry »

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 04:36:41 PM »

I had two fibroids and didn't have anything done apart from being told that HRT would cause them to grow so to be aware of this.

Taz x

CarryWarry

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »

Hello again....Yes Taz there's meant to be evidence that fibroids can grow with oestrogen, but the good news is that the Mirena coil (which Lizz and I have) can combat this as it produces Prog straight into the womb and has been shown to shrink fibroids (although I'm not sure how thorough all this research is).  I guess in my head I feel like it equals itself out, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will help out on this soon.  ;D :)

CarryWarry

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »

Also, forget to say that having been on HRT for 18 months my fibroids have stayed the same size because I had an ultrasound 4 weeks ago.  :)

lizzog

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »

Thanks that's reassuring! Will see what my GP says.
I'm not planning on stopping hrt so I'm glad to hear your experiences thanks x

lizzog

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 12:51:27 PM »

So I've got the results of my scan and am due to see my GP on Wednesday morning.
The scan says that I have a 15 mm fibroid which appears most likely submucosal or in very close proximity to the endometrium.
Not sure if that's big, whether they will leave be or what they will do. They couldn't get a good picture of the endometrium as I have a mirena fitted apparently.
Any ideas before I speak to my GP?

CarryWarry

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 07:53:31 AM »

I don't think this will affect anything....but I'm not a doc.  All I can say is that I have some in the lining of my womb and then my two biggies 60mm and 30mm.  I don't know the sizes of the others but it sounds like I've got a doctor who monster inside me and the main thing is I'm in no pain.  Like you I have Mirena and am fine, as I mentioned above 😁