Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Evorel Patches 3rd attempt on HRT  (Read 990 times)

ClaireLee46

Evorel Patches 3rd attempt on HRT
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »

Hi all. I'm new here, just wanted some advice please 😊 I'm on my 3rd try at HRT, my last 2 attempts ended in me starting to bleed after being 5 years period free. When I was taking it (tablets conti something) I felt wonderful, no flushes, happy all the time, loads of energy. My doc refused to let me have it after the the last time because of the bleeding, I had to go for a histoscopy (sp?) which I had to have under general as it was too painful without. That was 2 years ago, and yesterday I went back to the doc and begged her to let me try again, I'm so desperate. Hot flushes are horrendous, struggle to sleep, and as I drive for a living, I'm frightened that one day I'll fall asleep at the wheel. She agreed to let me try evorel patches, but I must stop them if it makes me bleed again. I've read lots of posts that say bleeding is extremely common in the first few months? Could I have some opinions/ experiences please? I'm so scared I might bleed, I've tried a million other things for the flushes but nothing works except HRT, I'm at my lowest point ever, horrible moods, feel depressed, and the sweats are literally draining the life out of me!! I'm 56 this year, been meno since 49, and it's just getting worse as time goes on.

Dancinggirl

Re: Evorel Patches 3rd attempt on HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:02:33 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

Bleeding in the first few weeks, even months, is quite normal with any conti HRT.  Erratic bleeding on conti HRT and also intolerance to progesterone (if used all the time) often make women stick with a sequential HRT regime which gives a regular withdrawal bleed and this is often the better option.

You are still young, so risks are very small for you. If bleeding continues to be an issue after 6 months with these patches, might want to consider a Mirena (though this might need to be fitted under anaesthetic as you had to have this with the scan!!)  -  the Mirena is great in post meno as part of a non bleed HRT regime.  With the Mirena in place you simply add in oestrogen as gel or patch alongside as the Mirena will keep the womb lining thin and usually prevent problematic bleeding.

If the scan was so painful, I suspect you have bad urogenital atrophy and this needs local oestrogen e.g. Vagifem to help keep everything healthier around the bladder and intimate area - perhaps ask your GP for this. If you then ever need a scan or have a Mirena fitted, it probably wouldn't be so painful!!! Full systemic HRT is often not enough to keep the urogenital area healthy.
Good luck and keep us posted.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:53:03 PM »

Hi ClaireLee. Great advice from Dancinggirl. I always had bleeding while on conti HRT and eventually went back onto sequi where the bleed was predictable. Does your GP not understand that bleeding is common while on conti? How about if you take the advice leaflet with you from the pack if you do have problems again?

Let us know how you get on

Taz x  :welcomemm:

ClaireLee46

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:11:19 PM »

Thankyou!! That helps, it wasn't a scan I had it was a biopsy, they tried to do it without anaesthetic but too painful. So day 3 on the first patch, no improvement in the flushes as yet, still drenched and shattered!!! Due to change the patch tomorrow so fingers crossed it will kick in soon, thanks for your help ☺️