Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Health Anxiety - can you MAKE symptoms happen?  (Read 6114 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Health Anxiety - can you MAKE symptoms happen?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 02:20:45 PM »

Once I have made the decision not to do something planned the anxiety is relieved.  I am back in control and do not have to justify myself to others.  For me it's a physical surge of nausea .......... which certain situations will make worse.  I no longer look at what is on at Theatre/Folk Clubs nor do I track where my friends are playing as the more important to me the more likely anxiety will happen and ruin it  :'(

I never wanted to die, simply to sleep until the pain went away.  So that I could wake and know that I would never suffer anxiety.

Blot

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 03:07:52 PM »

I remember many years ago I suffered quite badly with health anxiety and one time in particular I had nagging tooth and jaw pain for about 18 months. On and on it went despite various tests which came up with no reason. So every day I was focused on this pain. As soon as I woke up my first thought was about how I was feeling and how was the pain and this fed the anxiety and the physical symptoms.

Well someone in my family had an accident with possibly devastating consequences which would have affected them/us personally and financially. I got such a shock that this pain I had been experiencing just vanished in an instant. I stopped thinking about it and it went. I focused every thought on this new problem instead and my dentist just could not and still cannot believe it went away.

Power of the mind.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »

Shock.  Adrenaline burst.  Endorphins?

Snoooze

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 04:15:46 PM »

I remember many years ago I suffered quite badly with health anxiety and one time in particular I had nagging tooth and jaw pain for about 18 months. On and on it went despite various tests which came up with no reason. So every day I was focused on this pain. As soon as I woke up my first thought was about how I was feeling and how was the pain and this fed the anxiety and the physical symptoms.

Well someone in my family had an accident with possibly devastating consequences which would have affected them/us personally and financially. I got such a shock that this pain I had been experiencing just vanished in an instant. I stopped thinking about it and it went. I focused every thought on this new problem instead and my dentist just could not and still cannot believe it went away.

Power of the mind.

I've had HA for years but when my Dad died suddenly I had too much to think about and with looking after my Mum, my anxiety disappeared for quite a while. Probably because I wasn't focused on me but someone else.

Unfortunately it did come back again but I do find the busier and more occupied I am..less time on my own with my thoughts it does go away but never completely.

rebel2

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »

Totally agree that distraction is the answer.  I find that when I think ‘Oh, I haven't had a symptom for a while', they come back! 

Snoooze

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »

Totally agree that distraction is the answer.  I find that when I think ‘Oh, I haven't had a symptom for a while', they come back!

Definitely!

marge

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »

The mind is very powerful and I firmly believe we bring on symptoms by worrying. No easy answer, but distraction is helpful and also talking to others. Two of my closest friends are also sufferers and we end up having quite a laugh about it all. Very therapeutic!

rebel2

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »

I am now feeling faint every time I stand up, heart racing and tummy jittering.  Just because I gave blood and had low blood pressure.   Am really gutted as was in magic health for three months recently, now this.

Snoooze

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 05:23:59 PM »

I am now feeling faint every time I stand up, heart racing and tummy jittering.  Just because I gave blood and had low blood pressure.   Am really gutted as was in magic health for three months recently, now this.

It's because you are so aware of it. It's very hard to rationalise when you're in panic mode ☹️

Blot

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 06:02:07 PM »

Thing is though when I'm in the midst of it all I cannot distract myself but I'm trying hard. This past few days I've just laid about watching easy stuff on Netflix. Don't care about jobs around the house, just being kind to myself.

marge

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »

Sparkle - And you find yourself saying "yes I've got that too" and laughing about it.  Best therapy ever and reassuring!

EnglishRose

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »

Yes absolutely! It's like an anti-placebo effect.

Phantom pregnancy is the most common one and for those who convince themselves enough, their hormones will start to behave as if they're pregnant and physical signs will occur.

Perimenopause causes higher stress hormones due to the hormonal volatility so any anxiety becomes magnified.

I'm attempting to desensitise myself to all of the research I've spent full time daily on for a month.
I avoid anything that may lead me down the road of the health issue that scared thr bejesus out of me.

I'm also reducing the progesterone I've been using as I had no oestrogen to balance with it as well as starting Oestrogel and 10 days on Vagifem to address any early VA.

I've had a very good pelvic floor examination done by a lady I head hunted and my pudendal nerve was checked for entrapment. Normally if the nerve is irritated or trapped, pushing down on the nerve in the pelvis will cause tingling, pain or something, I felt nothing after she tried three times..
There are no other trigger points found upon examination and my pelvis is not hypertonic or slack nor was my pelvis misaligned.

This had a huge impact on my anxiety once told there was no pudendal nerve entrapment. I was confused but relieved with a touch of doubt.

It does not appear to get worse when sitting which is classic for pudendal nerve issues, if there is any pattern it tends to happen late afternoon early evening regardless of the daily activity. It never as yet appears when I'm in bed at night or asleep nor do I wake up with it.

My anxiety is 80% better but I'm still hyper aware of my body and still nervous of the symptoms appearing.  The symptoms alternate from vaginal pain to sensations of arousal whivh could be in or out and anywhere within those areas.
Pain to my lower back and hypersensitive or restless type feelings to spine, buttocks and legs. It presents as restless leg syndrome or more skin related such as sensitive to clothing brushing against the skin.

It would appear the severity of symptoms seems to be slowly declining and I'm wondering if that is due to my reducing anxiety as I've come to accept the symptoms are there whether I like it or not. It does appear to be morphing into more pain than arousal. But not severe pain just mild stabbing inside or outside of the vagina.

I am aware of a hand full of women here on these forums who had the same symptoms (arousal outside the context of desire) some very acute, that either went away with time or once they got on HRT or balanced their oestrogen from it being very low as mine is.

Yesterday was the first day since this nightmare started that I had almost no arousal and only pain with no skin or restless leg back issue.

If I do indeed come through this it will forever change me bc I have never had health anxiety to this extent in my life, I've had “scares” and even had cancer but never in my life has anxiety over a health related issue taken hold of me like this has.  I think bc it's such a horrible torturous disorder with no cure or treatment and very little understanding by the medical establishment in general.

I'm glad I never started taking nerve drugs which was what I begged the doctor for on my first visit.

I've been refered to a gynaecologist with s request to scan my lower spine for cysts. Once that's been ruled out then I guess I'll be at peace totally and can accept fully this is one of many strange and uncommon symptoms of declining hormones.
Pages: 1 [2]