Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: The Body Natural  (Read 1456 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
The Body Natural
« on: July 15, 2018, 05:03:23 PM »

Someone stated on another thread and I can't remember who without returning to the thread, that menopause ins't natural. 

There is nothing 'natural' about menopause,   Connolly ........ how isn't menopause natural  :-\  ???

Birth; death; periods; menopause; heart attacks; stroke; appendicitis; lumbar pain; alopecia - all natural.  Everything that happens to the body in it's 'raw' state is natural.  We might not like it but it's how we are designed, even to the point of being meat eaters with fruits and veg. thrown in when available.  Probably hairy initially too  :o to keep warm. 

Even some food stuffs might be natural from the Cave-man time, then someone put meat on to the fire ....... and it was decided that instead of being nomadic they would build fences and make fields in which to grow crops.  All natural. Supposed progress?  Until someone invented pesticides, anti-biotic therapy, pain relief, anaesthetic  .......... razor blades, tooth brushes .......... then the human bean made choices  ::).

I like that in the UK we have on the whole a health service that can provide advice, even if that comes at a cost; either that the NHS won't support what is suggested or that the patient can't tolerate the medication.  I hate the thought that however natural pain might be, in some parts of the World pain relieve isn't available  :'(

Most of the plants that we grow in our gardens are made by humans, initially taken from wild plants World wide and adapted to suit needs either as food stuffs [F1] or as herbs for healing.  Synthesis [sp] came along ......... which may benefit some, not others. 

Rambling away as usual  :whist: :madeyes:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:10:16 PM by CLKD »

Conolly

Re: The Body Natural
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »

Hello CLKD,

If you take the sentence out of the context it does look strange and plain wrong.
However... I was referring to the connotation that the word ‘natural' has these days.
Menopause is not natural in the sense that it is a relatively new (I know it happened to Middle Age women, I'm talking about many thousand years, which is the minimum necessary for Evolution to work as in producing change) phenomena in evolutionary terms because pre-civilization women wouldn't reach menopause in sufficient numbers in order to Evolution and Natural Selection act  accordingly ie select individuals based on adaptational advantages.

You should have joined in that discussion because, as I said before, a phrase taken out of context is not going to help understanding this complex subject.

Conolly X

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »

I don't think that there is a difference in the word 'natural' and how it is applied now or years ago.  DH suggests that menopause might not be 'natural' because women died B4 reaching it: of other natural occurrences, such as sepsis, childbirth - as well as the amount of children that died prior to the age of 5 - all by natural causation.  [He has a scientific background so is more logical].

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »

The meno is not really new. The idea that it is only modern women who experience it in any great numbers, is a misunderstanding of statistics. Death rates are given as an average but if you subtract the higher infant mortality rates, from historical figures, you will find that the rates for those surviving after childhood not much different from now.

I hope that makes sense.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »

:thankyou:  it does.  All my relatives and aunts-in-law lived into their late 80s early 90s.  Their particular husbands lived into their mid-80s .......  I have a maternal Uncle of 88 .  His elder sister died aged 80.  I remember my Aunts all being happy whilst I was growing up.

Conolly

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »

This article will explain it better than my fruitless attempts...  :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3433273/

Conolly X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »

When I remember; when I'm less tired; I will have a read through ...........  :thankyou:

Currently waiting the arrival o the 'hogs .........