Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause  (Read 14575 times)

AndieKC

Re: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »

Hi Emerald
I strongly agree with Dancinggirl, please write to Dr Currie via the email service and it will be the best spent £30, I had to do it a few times, for similar reasons, early menopause and doctors told me to Stop HRT .

Dr Currie's involvement led to letters to Gp and the gynaecologist dept at the hospital and finally the doctor has written a very nice letter back to dr Currie asking if she could consult her on future hrt cases and she will share the knowledge with her dept. Took a few weeks but it was all worth it
Fingers crossed! Xx

Cassie

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 09:47:33 AM »

I went through early meno @ 39 have been on the rub on gel and utrogestan used 12 days a month and am well into my 50s my gynae said that I can stay on it until 70 if I want. You need to replace your hormones, get some gel or the patches they are really the best and safest in my opinion.

Emerald2017

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »

Thank you ladies! I will write to Dr Currie for sure. I am not in UK and at my country I don't need a prescription for taking hrt fortunately! :)
At my country the gel isn't available anymore and I don't like the idea of patches. I started Femoston 2/10 a year ago and feel great but when I ask a gyn or share it with my friends, they look at me with despair.
 I feel like a heroine addicted sometimes and everyone says to me to stop taking hrt for my good. Forum helps me so much not to feel alone! :)

Emerald2017

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »

Thank you Stella, it is relieving to know that there is a supportive context for me!
It is really upsetting for me all the negativity I receive regarding hrt and my decision to take it.
I feel sometimes that I would have more sympathy if I was a cocain or heroine addicted!!! I feel that everyone is against hrt and it affects my mood and my confidence. It creates fear and doubt to me!
Nice to find all of you!!! :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 08:35:15 AM »

When I told a friend that I had decided I would stop HRT a couple of years ago, she immediately said “I'm so glad you have stopped that poison” !!!! She had only heard the horror stories - I didn't try to convince her otherwise, sometimes people just believe what they want to believe. DG x

Emerald2017

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »

The gyn with whom I had the argument told me that one of his professors believe that all meds are actually poisons!!! I said to him that he chose wrong occupation if he believes such things. Of course I will not visit him again but his attitude made me anxious about hrt.
My endo and my gyn are adamant that I absolutely need hrt for longterm use and with regular checkups.
Thank you dancinggirl! :)

AndieKC

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »

Sadly, many of us started out thinking hrt was all bad, I certainly did. I've read so many posts on this forum about women who had struggled with symptoms for 2 years (average!!!) before trying hrt. So much bad publicity out there, but when you read the reasearch properly, the picture becomes clearer - in younger women benefits can certainly outweigh the risks, hrt gives back why would normally be in the body at that age.

I also found this forum makes me feel I'm not alone, it's such a great support xx

Emerald2017

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »

So true Andie!
I try to be well informed and control my fear. I think that taking hrt is an individual decision. We need support and encouragement from our gyns.
The forum is really godsend!!! 💐

Cori

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »

Hi guys... I have just received my blood test results for my vitamin D and calcium levels. My vitamin D levels are ok and my calcium levels are only slightly low. I told my doctor I had decided to take HRT and my reasons why. She said she was glad I had done some research and decided for myself to take it as she never wants to force anyone to take it. She has prescribed the combined patch... FemSeven, I think (I haven't picked up the prescription yet, it was a telephone appointment). She has prescribed 2 months supply and then I need to see her to check my blood pressure etc.
I'm quite nervous about starting it, but I just need to remember why I'm doing it.

Perinowpost

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »

Emerald2017 just catching up with this post and I agree with Dancing Girl the gynae's attitude is shocking, and I think it wants challenging. These decisions affect quality of life and it's really not funny x

Emerald2017

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 05:30:18 AM »

Thanks for replying Perin, the forum gives me such a support and knowledge! Many thanks! 💐

Cori

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »

I told myself I wasn't going to read the side effects on the leaflet, but Im confused about something it says on there... There is no evidence that HRT will prevent heart disease/heart attack. Women over the age of 60 on HRT are slightly more likely to develop heart disease.

I know it says over 60 but it's a bit worrying as that's one of the reasons I'm taking it.

Cori

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »

Also... if I'm on HRT, do I not have to worry as much about getting enough calcium and vitamin D? Should the HRT increase my bone density?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »

The leaflets are not up to date - they are simply standard information based on old research and are put into every type of hormone related preparation. The leaflet is also the same for local oestrogen and the risks simply DO NOT apply for Vagifem and oestrogen creams as so little is absorbed systemically.  The drug companies are also covering their backs - just in case.   When oestrogen drops, the arteries are more likely to fur up and become clogged, thereby increasing the chance of heart problems - this is one of the reasons why the cholesterol tends to go up past menopause.

The trials done with HRT and indeed most medication is often so flawed but any findings do have to be presented.

Once past 60, the risk of heart disease and cancer go up significantly whether on HRT or not, however, the trials so far have shown that if a woman in her 50s has 5 years of HRT it can extend life by a year or more.  The protection for the  bones is not disputed - HRT is one of the best preventives against osteoporosis.
Using HRT does not mean you should relax about ensuring you get enough calcium and vitamin D either, as these are vital nutrients throughout our lives. I believe HRt does restore some bone density - here is the quote I found “By restoring estrogen levels, HRT helps to slow the rate of bone loss, as well as relieving the symptoms of menopause. Studies have shown that HRT, even at low doses, can significantly increase bone density (1) and reduce the rate of fracture ”.
We must still consume enough calcium and supplement with Vitamin D and magnesium if you don't get enough sunshine.
Try to focus on the benefits and not the side effects and risks. If you drink a lot of alcohol, smoke, are overweight or lead a sedentary life, these are the BIGGEST risks for heart disease, stroke and cancer - so for example, being overweight is a bigger risk than being on HRT.  Sadly, what is in our genes is not preventable. DG x
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:41:57 AM by Dancinggirl »

Cori

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:23 PM »

Thank you so much for that, DG. After reading that, I definitely feel like I'm doing the right thing in taking it.
When they say it can extend your life in your 50s, could it do the same for me if I'm in my 40s?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6