Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause  (Read 14650 times)

Cori

Re: HRT for osteopenia after early menopause
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 10:06:45 AM »

Thanks DG. I think I will try cutting them in half. Which way is best to cut them? Along the 'S'?

The cramps stopped after I renoved the patch. Not sure whether it was coincidence and they would have stopped anyway. I have a bit of a stomach ache now so not sure whether to try again today or tomorrow. Will see how I feel this evening.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »

I've never cut a patch in half so don't know what to recommend - perhaps start a thread asking advice from others specifically about this as I know lots of women do this. ?
You are so anxious, I really think a more gentle start would be best. It can take some weeks for the body to adjust to the hormones especially if you are starting with very low hormone levels which I suspect you are. DGx

Cori

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »

Thank you DG, I will do that.

Cori

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 09:58:59 PM »

I cut one in half and applied it this evening. A couple of hours later, I have slight cramps, but I'm riding it out. I'm determined to make this work.

Cori

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »

By the way, how many days/weeks do the cramps last? I still have 3 weeks and 2 days left on holiday from work. I'm planning on using half a patch for 2 weeks and then going onto a full patch. So I will have been using a full patch for just over a week before I go back to work.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 07:04:36 AM »

Nobody can tell you how long it will take for your body to adjust. It might be some weeks and that's assuming this type of HRT is right for you.
Only increase to the full size patch if things have settled.

If you had started on a sequential hrt at a lower dose it might have been a bit easier but you would then have had a monthly withdrawal bleed which i assume you don't want.
As you successfully use BCPs in the past I'm hoping this hrt patch will be ok for you in time. DGx

Cori

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »

Thank you DG. Yes, I would rather have a non bleed HRT if it works for me.

Cori

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »

If I don't get any stomach cramps this week using half a patch, do you think it would be ok for me to move onto a full patch next week? Or am I still best waiting until the week after?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »

Cori - don't rush things - your body needs time to adjust.  If the cramps settle, I'd give it another week or two before increasing.  Dg x

Cori

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 03:00:02 PM »

Thank you. I will give it another week, but I want to try and avoid starting a full patch just as I'm going back to work if possible.

Cori

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2018, 10:02:11 PM »

Is it normal to feel a bit spaced out when first starting HRT? Also, I've had a bad headache this evening. I'm praying it's nothing to do with the patch. I wouldn't want these headaches too often 😧 I know it's getting into my system as my boobs are a bit sore. Will that wear off or will they always be sore? Maybe I will carry on with half a patch for 4 weeks altogether.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2018, 06:53:07 AM »

Your body will react and what you are experiencing could be initial side effects. I'm afraid you are more likely to get side effects because you are starting with a conti HRT and the progesterone may cause things like headaches. Sore boobs usually wears off after a few weeks but again is worse with conti hrt. Hopefully things will settle. DG x

Cori

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2018, 05:53:47 PM »

Thanks DG 👍

Cori

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »

I think I am going ro have problems with these patches staying put. I applied half a patch on Tuesday. I had a shower today, went to the bathroom an hour later, noticed I was spotting (which is fine as I know that it likely) and saw my patch in the bath! I'm constantly checking to see if it's still on so don't know how I didn't realise it had come off.

I'm hoping the full patches will stay on longer than the half patches. If not, I'm not sure whether to try the Evorel patches, which apparently stick better or a pill. From what I've read online, the different progesterone in Evorel patches can have worse side effects, but I'm wondering how it compares with a pill? Also, if it's more sticky, will it cause more skin irritation? These patches leave my skin red and spotty. It doesn't bother me too much as it's not sore or itchy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:17:44 PM by Cori »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2018, 07:14:42 AM »

I personally think you would do better with Femoston 1/10 pills at this stage. It's less hassle popping a pill each day and starting with a sequential hrt is usually better anyway.
I didn't get on with the patches when I tried them but many women love them.
You are very anxious about the hrt anyway so keeping it simple might be you best option and many women do really well with the pills  DG x
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6