Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bone density - alternative therapies?  (Read 8485 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bone density - alternative therapies?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »

Go to your local Pharmacist and ask for over-the-counter VitD tablets.  One doesn't need permission from a GP if we know something isn't quite right ;-).

sofasurfer

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »

Go to your local Pharmacist and ask for over-the-counter VitD tablets.  One doesn't need permission from a GP if we know something isn't quite right ;-).
I have a liquid form of Vitamin D now and plenty of sun exposure this year.
That's the easiest part to correct. Gyne part which I lack knowledge but I might have to start reading up and become an expert!! No point in complaining.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »

I thought I was OK.  But 12 months ago I could hardly put one foot in front of the other  :-\ would do 20 mins. weeding then had to sit still for 2 hours.  Mum complained similarly.  We both spends hours int he garden but both were suffering low VitD levels, found on blood test.

sofasurfer

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »

Damn, I am gutted.
Went for a dexa scan and it appears that I have osteoporosis.  :'(
Although I've been having regular period till last year, I must have been peri for some years which my gp didn't put two and two together. He doesn't recognoise dizzyness as one of the meno symptoms so I'm not suprised though.  ::)

Does anybody take medication for Osteoporosis? How long will it take for the density to go up? Or will it ever??

In the meanwhile, I've got a contraceptive pill prescribed. My GP said mini pill would be safer but I asked for combined pills as I had both estrogen and progesteron and something tells me that I should have both, not just one.

I feel sick and old all of a sudden now. Mind you, some women had to go through it already in their 20s, 30s etc.. :'(
Men have no idea what we go through out the life span.

Luckily, I am seeing an osteopath soon so I can show him the report.
May be he'll put a good words into my gp who is not all that helpful.

Some advice.
Prevent or reverse osteoporosis
https://www.wallerwellness.com/health-aging/10-ways-to-prevent-or-reverse-osteoporosis

Someone reversed her Osteoporosis.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-i-beat-osteoporosis-judis-story/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:15:19 PM by sofasurfer »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »

You need proper HRT with bio identical oestrogen in it. The mini pill will not help your bones.

At least you have been given a proper diagnosis now and before things get too bad, so you can now take positive action. You are right about the oestrogen.

There are BCPs with bio identical oestrogen - one is called Qlaira - so perhaps ask to try this.

Your GP should be referring you to a gynae or meno clinic if he/she doesn't understand that you need HRT.  If you need contraception then do consider the Mirena so you can use enough oestrogen alongside to help you bones.
Hopefully the osteopath will tell you what exercises you need to help your bone density as well. Lots of brisk walking is very good. Good luck 
DG x

sofasurfer

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 09:27:07 PM »

You need proper HRT with bio identical oestrogen in it. The mini pill will not help your bones.

At least you have been given a proper diagnosis now and before things get too bad, so you can now take positive action. You are right about the oestrogen.

There are BCPs with bio identical oestrogen - one is called Qlaira - so perhaps ask to try this.

Your GP should be referring you to a gynae or meno clinic if he/she doesn't understand that you need HRT.  If you need contraception then do consider the Mirena so you can use enough oestrogen alongside to help you bones.
Hopefully the osteopath will tell you what exercises you need to help your bone density as well. Lots of brisk walking is very good. Good luck 
DG x
Thank you Dancinggirl for your advice.
I've read about Mirena but I didn't get on with UTI before. I didn't like the feel of something inside of me the whole time.

I'll ask if he would prescribe me Qlaira.

sofasurfer

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 01:09:26 AM »

Interesting comment regarding Dexa scan.
I have had several full body dexa scans as part of a university study (unrelated to osteo) as well as specific for osteo wrist/arm, hip and spine, however the results of three consecutive full body scans run within minutes of each other varied by 1.8%?! As they expect any improvement to take years and be measured in very small % numbers this does not inspire much confidence.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/osteoporosis-results-range-for-different-parts-of-the-body-664397
Pages: 1 [2]