Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: After hrt  (Read 2487 times)

Brodie

After hrt
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »

Hi just found this site and hoping for help. When i was 32 I had a hysterectomy but ovaries left, at 42 had breast cancer and after treatment decided to have ovaries zapped with radiotherapy as bib and braces approach. I went on Hrt as symptoms were so bad. Now nearly 20 years later I have a large cyst on an ovary and am waiting for op to remove them. I was told to come straight off hrt and go cold turkey! Suffering at the moment ! Started black cohosh a week ago . Lack of sleep , feeling full of anger and lots of sweats. I would love any help or suggestions. Thanks xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: After hrt
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »

Hi Brodie.
Welcome to the forum.
Just to say my sister in law, swore wild yam from
Holland and Barrett helped her enormously.
I haven't tried it because truth be told I don't think these work.
But she did, so she never needed hrt..
She 64 now, and don't take anything....

Jd x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »

Hi Brodie
Look under TREATMENTS as there is a s croon in alternative treatments s and also prescribable non hrt treatments.

I have tried so many alternative remedies and non of them worked (should have saved my money). I am 62 now and been without HRT for 2 years - I do take Red Clover (high dose) and I think this has helped a bit but I mainly take this because it gives some bone density support and is said to help reduce cholesterol.

Hopefully after sugery you'll be allowed back in some oestrogen as this is the best support for bones and heart and will keep flushes under control.
Maybe try St John's Wort? You must check with doctor first as this can be contraindicative with other drugs but it might help with mood and sleep.
Keep us posted DG c

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 08:07:31 PM »

Hi Brodie

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your medical problems. I presume your breast cancer was not oestrogen positive hence your restarting HRT? if it is decided that you really are not advised to continue to take HRT after your op (due to risk to breasts), in your position and at your age, I would try one of the prescribable non-HRT types - rather than herbal alternatives, if your symptoms are unbearable. This is what Dancinggirl was referring to. The alternative treatments are mainly anti-depressants ( SSRI's) or blood pressure medication eg Clonidine.

There is a useful paper here which summarises the different types and how effective they are:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053369117711646?hootPostID=6690d93930a10b86869c48433ab506e7

Hope this helps and wishing you well with your op :)

Hurdity x