Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Should i stop Estrogel?  (Read 716 times)

allie007

Should i stop Estrogel?
« on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:56 PM »

Evening everyone!
I started using Estrogel in March this year and have a Mirena coil fitted since September 2018. My GP is insistant that it is ok for up to 5 years with HRT and says it used to be 4 years.....
I had an appointment to get it changed at the end of May but my GP couldnt do it and referred me to the hospital. I phoned them last week as I hadnt heard anything and they have told me that as its non urgent im looking at at least another 20 weeks.
In the meantime should i stop using the Estrogel? I dont know what to do?

Dancinggirl

Re: Should i stop Estrogel?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »

Do you currently have a Mirena and how long has this been in place? There has been a recent thread that actually covers this issue - apparently it is now thought by many that the Mirena can be left for 5 years when part of hrt but this is still considered off license until officially changed. I suspect the 4 year rule was precautionary.
DG x

allie007

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »

Thank you Dancinggirl. I do still have it as the doctor couldnt find the threads to remove it. It will be 5 years in September and as yet it could be at least November/December till i have an appointment at the hospital to take it out. Just wondering if it is safe for me to continue with the Estrogel until it is changed.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »

I suspect it's probably fine to continue with the gel. If the doctor was unduly worried he would have told you to stop.
Perhaps try using a little less? If you do 2 pumps per day perhaps try one per day for your peace of mind - you may find you are ok in less anyway?  DG x