Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anxiety AGAIN:(  (Read 2466 times)

Otes73

Anxiety AGAIN:(
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:30:45 PM »

Back again!

I'm 7 weeks post Oophorectomy now and anxiety actually maybe depression not shifting at all. I've not altered my dose as yet or seen my GP.

I'm feeling terrible, not hot flushes just a terrible sense of doom, not wanting to leave the house and a VERY low mood.

Not sure if an increase of Oestrogen is needed, antidepressants or a miracle!!

Sorry for the moaning  :(

X

Tempest

Re: Anxiety AGAIN:(
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:11:17 PM »

Otes, I hear you! I continue to experience the same, on and off.

The thing is with oophorectomy is that levels plunge so fast, that the brain and nervous system is reeling. Sudden low estrogen means a real disruption in neurotransmitters too as low estrogen =
low seratonin and high erratic pulses of norepinephrine (as per the work of Dr. Elizabeth Vliet). Don't hesitate to add in a low dose of AD to help if you feel the need - balancing can take time and this might give you some breathing space. Citalopram at 10mg is very popular,  as it seems reasonably well tolerated in start up.

We have particular issues in surgical meno., so please don't be afraid to use any and all strategies you need. You can always taper off again later. I wish I had gone down this route with a dual approach when I had my surgery - it would have saved me a lot of terrible anxiety and subsequent depression and heartache!

I know others will say that you need to optimise your estrogen and that's ok - but we deal with what is a very drastic situation, so something to lessen this blow while we figure out how to titrate and settle on our optimum dose (which can take a good while - at least weeks or months) is a big help. We don't have the 'luxury' of slowly declining hormones in our situation!

I have spoken to many women in our shoes, and many state that a dual approach (if only temporarily) has been the most helpful.

I hope this helps! xxxx

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:23:48 PM by Tempest »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »

:thankyou:  Tempest.

Regardless of what causes anxiety and depression, appropriate dedicated medication will are more likely to ease symptoms quicker than HRT as that can be Trial and Error.   A dual approach works 4 some ladies, some find HRT enough, others prefer dedicated meds..  Without my 2 x daily cocktail I wouldn't be here.   ;)

Otes73

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:47:02 PM »

Thankyou both  :)

Been to my GP this morning as was at my wits end!

I've upped my patch to the highest dose with a review a week today to possibly start antidepressants if I feel necessary.

I really appreciate the advice, I feel like I've post natal depression it's flipping horrendous. He did say I can go earlier than a week if I'm not coping or mood drops any lower.

Xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »

It's more likely to be hormonal.  However, there are various ways of managing anxiety at this time of Life: maybe an anti-anxiety medication 'as necessary' ; a beta-blocka which stops the anxiety surges; some anti-depressants help anxiety .........

Otes73

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »

Thanks CLKD,

My GP has just rung to review me Monday afternoon. I've never felt so bad so really feel I need something else as well as my HRT.

I appreciate your help.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »

That GP is on the ball and obviously thinking about what help you require right now.  Do you keep a diary , might be useful to chart progress.  This too will pass  :bighug:

I have an anti-depressant twice daily; a beta-blocka at night; plus an emergency 'as necessary' tablet which I take when anxiety floors me.  Knowing that it works means that I don't have to take 'extra' which is what the medical profession is worried about  ::).  Apparently.  When are your symptoms worse?  4 me it was in the early hours when that blasted hormone 'cortisol'? woke me ......... eating every 3 hours can ease symptoms, that includes during the night  ;)

Let us know how you get on?

Otes73

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »

Mornings are definitely worse for anxiety, I'm waking early hours with a sense of dread. During the day the anxiety does decrease but I'm left with a very low mood.

Good idea for the diary, I'll start that. I'll let you know how I get on with my appointment on Monday.

Thanks so much for your support.
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 04:09:06 PM »

Been there and survived.   ;)

Make sure that your body isn't hungry overnight as that can cause anxiety surges apparently.
Keep hydrated.
Exercise when you are able to.

I remember that sense of dread.  A deep, pre-hensile fear ..........  :'(

OK now ;-)

Tempest

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »

Keep us posted, Otes! We are here for you.

I'm adding in venlafaxine (partly as migraine prophylaxis too - and because I can't stand the ups and downs of my HRT. I'm extremely sensitive)! I'm starting at 37.5mg on Tuesday.

I always appreciate what CLKD has to say as she recognises that we're all different, and need different approaches. Thanks, CLKD! xxxx

ladylollipop

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »

Dear Tempest, please let me know about your experience with venlafaxine when you have started on Tuesday. I take 75 mg for 11 weeks now but still nervous and anxious. Will see my GP tomorrow. Maybe I have to up the dose to 150mg for a while.
Best wishes Lady Lollipop x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 05:18:15 PM »

:thankyou:  Tempest.   I thought that I would never survive ...... whoops tea is ready  ::) and it took many months of tweaking medication as well as having an emergency pill to hand as necessary ........ once the early morning desperate dread passed I could take half a day at a time  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:29:36 PM by CLKD »

Tempest

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 11:43:08 AM »

Just checking in Otes if you're reading this, to see how you are today? xxxx

Otes73

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »

Hi Tempest,

Thanks for thinking of me. I've got the GP at 3.45, to be really honest I'm feeling pants! Luckily my GP is great so really wants to help so I'm in good hands.

I've upped my patch dose but thinking maybe of going back to gel and asking for antidepressants today.

Xx

Tempest

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »

Thank you for checking in Otes! I'll be thinking of you this afternoon - good luck! I'm so glad you have a good GP - that's excellent. :)

A small dose of AD could well make the difference just now - hormone balance can be a tough road, and this may very well ease the path for you. I know a lot of the ladies over at Hystersisters use this approach and it has worked well for them. xxxx
Pages: [1] 2