Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Weird Fears Anyone?  (Read 8639 times)

Kathleen

Weird Fears Anyone?
« on: June 21, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »

Hello ladies.

I've been wanting to post on this topic for a long time but held back out of embarrassment. When I finally plucked up the courage to mention it to a friend she said she didn't really understand what I meant so I'm hoping that you lovely ladies can reassure me that I'm not going mad, at least I hope I'm not!

When my anxiety is high and I'm feeling  tense I develop weird fears about things. These feelings come in surges and I suddenly become afraid of what's infront of me. For example I bought some purple sweet potatoes and when I saw them in the cupboard I suddenly felt panicky and now I don't want to cook them. It's as if my logical mind has registered that I'm starting to panic and is trying to help me by suggesting the item infront of me is the culprit and I should avoid it as it's clearly dangerous. I realise that this is not rational behavior and it doesn't persist so  I will cook the potatoes lol. I think  that the surges of panic are the real problem and these surges also include a flush, mood change and then  a feeling that I want to cry. I never experienced anything like this until my periods ended and although the panics feel hormonal in original they are still panics which are very distressing.

Can any of you wonderful ladies relate at all? I'm sure I've read of similar problems like being afraid to go into certain shops and even being scared of a washing machine. I would really like to know how to deal with these horrible surges to prevent them escalating into a full blown panic attack.

Thanks for letting me confide in you ladies and I look forward to reading any comments.

Wishing you all well.

K.

Tempest

Re: Weird Fears Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »

In a word, yes.

This is actually a sign of a mind that has been stressed for far too long. Whilst some of it can be menopausal, please know that adrenaline surges and hot flushes, fears and unwelcome thoughts CAN be caused as well by anxiety. If you check out all the anxiety forums it's a common occurence, even happening out of the blue - particularly in panic disorder.

I knew I was onto something here when I read a post by a 19 year old boy who was having these EXACT symptoms too - and of course he's definitely not menopausal!

There is so much stress that goes into the whole menopausal thing that we have to ask ourselves frankly if indeed some of these symptoms ARE stress, and if there are other ways to deal with them as HRT may not help with these.

I can sympathise totally, Kathleen - as one who has quite a hefty stress burden with other health issues too that can often knock me over the edge. xxxx
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:16:49 PM by Tempest »

paisley

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »

It is your tired anxious mind playing tricks on you.
Do you do any type of meditation or relaxation techniques to try & calm the brain.
I find valerian helps sometimes as well to turn of the unwelcome thoughts
A really good book to read on this is “Self help for your nerves” by Claire Weekes. She explains this so well

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »

Hello Tempest.

Thank you so much for your kind response.

I agree that stress is a contributing factor and of course it can have many origins. A male friend of mine had a mini breakdown when his business was in trouble and our GP told him that he had struggled with too much for too long.  Co incidentally I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease the very same month I had what turned out to be my last period and my meno symptoms ramped up, so there was suddenly a lot to deal with.

I think adequate and restorative sleep is also essential and of course night sweats etc impact on that. The Consultant I saw on Tuesday said that when her patients sleep better their other meno symptoms often resolve.

I will research panic disorder  and see what  I can find out  so thank you for giving me the heads up.

I think you said that you have MS? If so I suggest you Google Dr John McDougall who has had
patients go into complete remission by adhering to a starch heavy plant based diet.  My own Ulcerative Colitis has been in remission for four years and all test results are normal and I believe my plant based, anti inflammatory diet has contributed to this.

Thanks again Tempest for your time and interest and I wish you well.

K.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 04:47:30 PM »

Hello paisley.

Thank you so much for your response.

I've heard other MM ladies say that the Claire Weekes book helped them so I'm going to get a copy asap.

Many thanks for that helpful suggestion and take care.

K.

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 04:59:02 PM »

Oh bless you Kathleen for the tips regarding my MS! I know when I was formally diagnosed that that was in part a relief, but also when I started to experience panic symptoms (a lot like some of the symptoms you have)!

It's a leap into the unknown, isn't it? I'll tell you what tipped me. It was the thoughts - both of my surgical meno. and the MS - that this is going to be like this forever. The feelings of despair and hopelessness then descended into blind fear.   :-\

I've had to talk myself down more times than I can count - and I'm pretty sure I've had a few irrational 'sweet potato' moments myself over the last few months, too. :)

Thank you so much again for your kindness - if it helps, I like a forum over at Health Unlocked called Anxiety Support. A really nice bunch of members over there, young and old. It taught me that whether we're 17 or 70, the symptoms are all just basically the same but manage to trick us all, every time! xxxx
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:06:38 PM by Tempest »

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »

Oh, P.S. - Claire Weekes' 'Self Help For Your Nerves' is our bible over at the forum! You can also find some youtube video's if you google 'Claire Weekes'.

I also like Barry McDonagh's 'Dare' book - I have the free 'Dare' app. on my phone, and he's talked me through intrusive thoughts and panic on many an occasion! xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »

...... and I thought it was only me  ::) but I can't explain how or when it comes over me.  I have to tell myself that it won't last and fortunately it never has done. 

At night I can be really tired, have a quick doze then wake: I get a sudden weird sensation "I will never sleep again"  :-\ ......... it's quite an rush of anxiety.  Of course, I do go back to sleep but it's quite a weird feeling.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »

Hello Tempest.

Many thanks for your further comments. Clearly I need to do more research lol.

I was always a level headed person so the emotional extremes that have arrived with the menopause have been very difficult to deal with, I just don't feel like me a lot of the time.

I'll be relieved when I get the promised email from my consultant with the results of my blood test and  a confirmed HRT strategy.  I do like a nice chunk of science to cling to!

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »

I feed live meal worms to the wild birds and when I'm picking out individual worms for individual birds I feel like a hangman  :-\.  It crosses my mind that it's like picking out people to go left or right  :'(

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »

I only have fears when I get chest pains, or between my
shoulder blades.which of course, anxiety can bring on.
I've just eat my dinner, and felt really sick after it, (chips)
and then started to get on and off chest pain, and between my shoulders.
I've had to come upstairs away from everyone to be on my own because I
could feel the panic starting. Now I've lay down , propped up, the panic has started
to go.  I have got a cold though, and a bit of a cough, so it could be that.
But still, it's just horrible, the thoughts that go through my mind...
Just hope it ends one day..............

Jd x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »

4 me it's physical initially then the panic begins  :'(

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »

Hello Jillydoll.

When I'm having a panicky surge I want to be on my own so I lay on my bed and practice deep breathing, a friend of mine goes on a long bike ride and another woman I know sits in the shed at the bottom of her garden!

My trusty meno book says that feelings of dread and unease are a common emotional symptom of the menopause and  it's best to find  time for yourself to try and calm down. Easier said than done of course. The book also states that as oestrogen declines we are missing it's benefits as a  tranquilising hormone. Yep, certainly feels that way lol.

I'm sorry that you are also suffering but you are not alone by any means.

Take care and sending hugs.

K.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »

Thank you Kathleen.
It is nice to know we're not alone isn't it?
But, yeah, I always have to go somewhere on my own, even if
it's tricky, and if it is, I go and sit in the bathroom, if only for 5/6 minuets,
just to calm myself down. Other than that, I'm on my bed..
It doesn't happen everyday, but when it does, I'm off....I have to.
Mmmm, a tranquilizer is what I need right now....lol
Take care,

Jd x

KSB

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 08:35:09 PM »

The potato thing I can relate to. It is the association part of your brain "remembering" that you felt panicky at the moment you looked at them. My friend is scared to drive on the motorway because that's where she had her first panic attack. The brain associates remembers and pictures fear and tricks us into thinking we fear that very thing. You just felt anxious at that precise moment and it could easily have been something else. It is anxiety and low serotonin you're not mad xx
Pages: [1] 2 3