News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Gout  (Read 1802 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Gout
« on: June 15, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »

Apparently my husband may have this.  A few weeks ago he had a very swollen foot and toes with a 'bunion' type red area.  Treated with ABs and pain relief.  No sign of raised uric acid levels.  X-ray shows the usually expected osteo arthritic changes for his age.  Part of the problem is that we evolved up-right  ::)

He had been gardening so may have bent his foot ...... otherwise nil of note to start this off.

Any ideas as to what foods he ought to avoid!

Two hoots

Re: Gout
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:16:12 PM »

My brother in law used to suffer really painful feet with gout, what he did was avoid shellfish, asparagus and red meat. He changed his diet radically and went almost vegetarian and it did help. I didn't realise just how painful a condition it was until I saw him suffering with it  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:28:44 PM »

Tnx.  Did it come on suddenly with him?  We eat a balanced diet, lots of chicken and fish, not much red meat - steak occasionally.  Mince mixed with lots of veg. on a bed of pasta 1/2 a week.  Little alcohol. 

Two hoots

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:08:28 PM »

Yes it would happen within 24 hours of eating shellfish particularly, that's how he realised it was diet related for him. When he was on holiday he ate a meal that contained shellfish and asparagus, the gout was so bad he couldn't walk, it was after that he decided to find out if his gout was triggered by his diet.  After cutting out shellfish, asparagus and red meat he was so much better, maybe a food diary would help if it turns out to be gout.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »

Hubby has gout, he's had quite a nasty journey with it, and is on high doses to keep Uric acid low.  To test levels during an attack the Uric acid will be lower than normal as it's all pooled to the affected area.  Ideally he should be tested once the attack has well and truly gone x

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 07:34:51 AM »

Avoid all the foods advised and to help break up the crystals try Cherries clkd works like magic lol he's just taking his right now if you have a juicer even better.X

Tiddles

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 08:04:25 AM »

My hubby used a homeopathic preparation that got rid of it like magic. Cant remember what was in it - not much help am I - but worth trying alternatives to drugs if they don't work ? X

katsclaws

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »

Montmerency Cherry tablets have helped my husband's gout. He's not on any medication for gout but has had very few attacks since he started the cherry tablets. Shellfish and venison seem to be triggers for an attack for my husband.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »

My dad used to get this as part of his RA. If your husband's levels of uric acid were not raised then it points to something other than gout maybe?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »

You are Mine of Info on here  :thankyou:

No evidence of RA and his recent X-ray of both feet showed the expected level of OA.  No damage otherwise.

Will look into the Cherry tablets - he eats lots of fruit and veg. including cherries - if we can get to them B4 the blackbirds and starlings  ;D