Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Health anxiety [again], bloating this time...  (Read 6299 times)

rebel2

Health anxiety [again], bloating this time...
« on: June 13, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »

I've posted several times recently about my trapped wind/bloating issues.   I've had a couple of bouts over the last three years, but each time they've gone away of their accord after six weeks or so.  This time I just can't get rid of it.   Starts with trapped wind feeling under left rib, goes to back and stays there all day, sometimes accompanied by tight band feeling under ribs.  Also accompanied by bladder discomfort - just feels I need to wee all the time, but I don't.  By the evening I am twice the size with bloating.  Obviously have considered every serious ailment, but figure it went every other time and did completely disappear recently when I went away twice for the weekend and was distracted.  So it must be anxiety. 

The irritating thing is that I am only anxious about the symptoms!!  But must admit I do spend every waking moment focussed on them unless really distracted by something. 

I need to stress that I have an exemplary diet, take regular exercise, don't smoke, rarely drink and have no caffeine.  Am seeing a therapist for the second time today [which is really a bit scary as I don't like to admit vulnerability].  GP suggested St Johns Wort but have done six weeks with no obvious affect except a return of my hot sweats at night as it cuts down the oestrogen from my HRT.

Anybody else have this??

Daisydot

Re: Health anxiety [again], bloating this time...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »

Have you tried buscopan rebel2 it's an anti spasmodic takes about 3 or 4 days to kick in but very good,you can buy otc.x

Bettyboo

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »

Oh Rebel, you have my sympathy. I have similar problems at the moment, plus very painful ribs. Must be the fourth or fifth time I have had this. Doctor says it is rib inflammation - costochondritis (does not stop me thinking it is something sinister). For me, it is caused by the way I sit at computer all day, though today I have been standing up even though I hate my (expensive) sit/stand desk, have to try as p****ing OH off big time.

I went to counselling/ psycho guy on Monday and have to say that the health anxiety has been better since. Going again in a few weeks.

hang on in there

BB

rebel2

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »

Thanks Bettyboo - I'm hoping my therapy will work long term.

Daisydot - I looked at Buscopan but I don't actually have stomach cramps and have never had IBS [only had stomach issues last few years, had rock like constitution before that].  It is just a tight wind like feeling.

Bettyboo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 12:45:29 PM »

Oh meant to add Rebel - have you tried apple cider vinegar (1 tsp) in water for the wind? I'm trying it half an hour before meals and seems to be an improvement.

BB

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »

Yes that's exactly what I had right under your rib cage goes round to your back and sometimes up shoulder.my spanish gp told me I'd caught a bowel bug from my cruise,he said because I was stressed I was twisting my bowel too,he gave me antibiotics for bug tranquillisers to calm the bowel and buscopan for the spasms.within a week 12 months of pain had gone,I'd even bought a new mattress thinking that was causing it plus all new bras lol.anyway it's worth a try for that.good luck ladies x

Daisydot

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »

Bettyboo you can get apple cider vinegar capsules they're much easier and less risk of burning the oesophogis with them,full of health benefits as you know.have a look on amazon xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »

I had bloating prior to IBS -  :'(.  My gut spasm had almost stopped so there was little digestive process going on.  By mid-afternoon I was unable to keep my skirt zipped up and by tea time anything passed my lips made me really queasy.  The GP gave me suitable medication and after 3/4 days I felt well.  It took 3 months to get into the habit of eating properly and taking that medication at the appropriate times but it was AWFUL  :'(

Florence69

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »

Since I've started on my new hrt my bloating looks like I'm ready to give birth  :o and by evening my stomach feels hard and inflated and certain movements result in the escape of wind  ::), which earns me some strange looks from my dog. I remember when I was younger I would get riddled with trapped wind and my mams cure was to give me bicarb in water to drink, and it worked a treat. I will be trying this again tonight as I forgot all about it so I'm expecting a noisy night !
I'm lucky I don't suffer from health anxiety now just GAD but I recall constantly consulting with dr google ...
Flo69 x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »

Hi rebel2

I get the same bloating and pain, I take ‘windeze' from the chemist,
It really works well for me, In fact haven't had it for a while because they work that well.
Try it, it can't hurt.
Hope you sort it out, it's really horrible isn't it..?

Jd x

rebel2

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »

I'm really struggling tonight.  It feels like I have something sat on or above my bladder and my bloat is awful.  It's as if the wind has moved down as it's gone from my ribs and back...

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »

Rebel2

Try a hot water bottle, if you have one, that's supposed to be good.
Also, when I was suffering, I read that if your sitting on the loo,
Do circular movements with your hands or finger tips, just below your
belly button, this helps stimulate your small bowl, thus, stirring everything
up, so it can pass through.
Try it, maybe it'll help.

Jd x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 08:10:41 PM »

You can do it lying in bed too, so that when you get up,
it should start to move.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »

I'm really struggling tonight.  It feels like I have something sat on or above my bladder and my bloat is awful.  It's as if the wind has moved down as it's gone from my ribs and back...

I was rather relieved to find this discussion during the night as I was wondering whether it was a kidney problem. My health anxieties rear their ugly heads whenever I am due to go on holiday. I am not worried about the actual trip but about whether I will be ok during it/enjoy it and avoid causing trouble for other people on the trip!
 I get UTI symptoms and this time.  I also have the discomfort under/round the ribs  described here. It flared up the night before last and then was ok during most of yesterday. Then it returned during last night . I have now bought some Windeze today to try out and have also drunk a little apple vinegar (in water).
I am hoping that it is mostly pre holiday stress but have managed to get a GP appt. later today to check whether I have a UTI or not. It is so hard to know whether my body is just mimicking symptoms. I am determined to go on my trip!

How are you feeling now?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 11:50:44 AM »

Katejo - you may well have vaginal atrophy.  Get some treatment?  Read the various threads here.  VA mimics urine infection-type symptoms really well  >:( and a urine sample HAS to be sent to a Lab., a dip-stick in the Surgery does NOT show infection.  GPs are still not up-2-date with VA  :bang:  (going somewhere nice?)  ;)

Rebel - I could watch my wind bubbles move down my belly when I laid in the bath  ::).  If I massaged my belly it would release the wind  :o  :D.  Himself would ask if the jacuzzi was working  ;D .........

Drink more liquids.  Exercise gets my bowel working.  Brisk walking or gardening.
Pages: [1] 2